Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

One-Off Rogue Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

One-Off Rogue Release

Post by GregClow »

The LCBO is bringing in a very limited amount of Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale and the infamous Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale as a one-off release.

Release date and stores that will be getting stock are still TBC.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

cool!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Cool (for the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale)

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Interesting, the Voodoo looks like the perfect type of beer for a one-off try for the fun of it experience.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Looking forward to trying the maple beer. Thank god I am working in Oakville for the summer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I recently had one of the two bottles of DDG from last year, still drinking really well. Bacon donut beer just sounds unnecessary and gross, though still you never know.
In Beerum Veritas

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Awesome, never got the chance to get any of the Double Dead Guy last year. Didnt make it out my way and by the time I found out they were all gone. Even more interested in trying the Doughnut Bacon Maple.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

one of my fav RB reviews is of Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale

"750ml bottle. it’s like, you did something so horrendous and unfittingly insulting, you created an abomination, really you just threw your shit together, hence this isn’t anything really designed and certainly isn’t anything groundbreaking. smoked is probably the best fit given the amount of smoked malt in this, but ’ale’ would have been more fitting. it’s disgusting. it smells of burnt plastic, burnt match sticks and scorched maple syrup, with an equally-strong jim beam component. if you smell and taste a donut, it should be sweet, sugary and cake-y, even the savory cheese and/or bacon pastries. this beer instead smells and tastes salty and alcoholic, exactly the sort of thing that would make you vomit late at night, which is the opposite of what a doughnut does. i have eaten somewhere between 45-55 doughnuts, rough estimate, from all voodoo doughnut locations, and i have eaten the bacon maple bar enough times to know exactly how it tastes, how it feels, and how it satisfies. "bacon maple bar" is their uninteresting and lazy name for the doughnut, embarrassingly stupid compared to my suggestion "the baconut". this tastes like scorched and heavily astringent pure maple syrup, ashy smoked malt, salty over-fried ham and burnt sulfuric match sticks. dry, parched, astringent, buttery, acidic, salty and bitter with a malt liquor finish, and it’s completely unpalatable. fuck you. edit 1 not completely sure it’s the culprit, but it’s one of the unaccounted-for variables from that night: the morning after this bottle i awoke with the worst headache i’ve had in years and i was definitely *not* hungover. YMMV. edit 2 1/2 inch of beer was left in a snifter overnight outside on my patio. 24 hours later it smelled exactly the same. "

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I've read that review, too...hence my lack of excitement for this beer. I'll get another DDG, though.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Couldn't care less about the Double Dead Guy but bring on the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale!!!
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Is Rogue represented by North American Craft in Ontario?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

icemachine wrote:Is Rogue represented by North American Craft in Ontario?
Yes, they rep Rogue and Brooklyn from the States.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Double Dead Guy is pretty boring for the abv, and I don't care for gimmick beers either.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I love Rogue and the way they've pushed the envelope of certain styles... but yeah, what's with the weird gimmick?

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

I'm psyched for both of these. I doubt the bacon beer will be something I'll want very much of, but as beer geeks, how can we not at least want to try it if it's available to us? Sure there has been some amazingly bad reviews, but there have been lots of good ones too. On RB it has an avg of 3.03 after ~160 reviews, and Beaus Lugtread comes in at 3.0 with ~120 reviews.

Good beer or not, it will be interesting to share a bottle with some friends.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.