Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Craft brewers at Molson Indy

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Swordsman

Craft brewers at Molson Indy

Post by Swordsman »

Just saw this article. Great exposure I think!

http://www.thestar.com/business/compani ... y-sponsors
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

that's awesome!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

As big Indy fan, I'm happy this is happening. Oakville's James Hinchcliffe recently had a brewery in Indy (Flat12) name a beer for him, would be nice to see something similar from Amsterdam or Muskoka (maybe even a collab brew)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

http://flat12.me/events/brewstone-flat- ... nchcliffe/

One of Indy’s newest craft beer venues, Brewstone Beer Company, welcomes Flat 12 over for a tap takeover. It being May, they’ve also invited James Hinchcliffe, the driver of the Andretti Autosports GoDaddy Car. As such, we’ll pour our Hinchtown Hammer Down Canadian Lager, a beer our brewers created exclusively for James and the month of May.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Wow! Great sign of things to come, and great exposure for the OCB!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Mill Street was the official beer sponsor (and supplier) of Ottawa Bluesfest last year (assuming again this year...).

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Driving around in circles in a billboard wasting gas. How 21st century. :roll:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Tapsucker wrote:Driving around in circles in a billboard wasting gas. How 21st century. :roll:
Actually, the IndyCars use oxygen and hydrogen -- not gasoline. Thus, the vapours they produce are none other than good ol H20. Noise pollution? Now that's another story...

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

tuqueboy wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:Driving around in circles in a billboard wasting gas. How 21st century. :roll:
Actually, the IndyCars use oxygen and hydrogen -- not gasoline. Thus, the vapours they produce are none other than good ol H20. Noise pollution? Now that's another story...
Actually, some of them drink ethanol just like us. :wink:

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

This event has lost much of its appeal so I'm guessing Labatt's and before them Molson have lost interest. Nevertheless it's hard to imagine a better opportunity for craft breweries to get new people to try their brews than a captive audience...in the thousands... sweating in the July sun...gagging for a drink. :)

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

tuqueboy wrote:
Sorry, wasting a different blend of resources.

Even as a gearhead, I can't see the point. Yeah maybe there is some challenge of technological competition, but like all pro sports, this has been watered down to the point of being as lame as their cooperate sponsors like Molbatts. After all airhead entertainment befits bland corporate beverages.

I appreciate that the craft brewers need to be creative in growing their audience, but I'd be more impressed if they threw their money behind something constructive or in a spirit that compliments their art. It just seems incongruous and disappointing.

Ah well, I guess I'm just one of those 'elitists' Rush Limbaugh and friends hate so much...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Derek wrote:
tuqueboy wrote:
Actually, some of them drink ethanol just like us. :wink:
Yup Indy Cars use Ethanol, switched from Methanol a few years ago - and Tuqueboy last I knew (CH3COOH) +2(O2) = 2(H2O) + 2(CO2)

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Tapsucker wrote:
tuqueboy wrote:
Sorry, wasting a different blend of resources.

Even as a gearhead, I can't see the point. Yeah maybe there is some challenge of technological competition, but like all pro sports, this has been watered down to the point of being as lame as their cooperate sponsors like Molbatts. After all airhead entertainment befits bland corporate beverages.

I appreciate that the craft brewers need to be creative in growing their audience, but I'd be more impressed if they threw their money behind something constructive or in a spirit that compliments their art. It just seems incongruous and disappointing.

Ah well, I guess I'm just one of those 'elitists' Rush Limbaugh and friends hate so much...
No, not elitist, just narrow-minded. Elitists don't need to try so hard.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

So Muskoka and Amsterdam have confirmed they will be doing a collaboration brew, likely a Belgian style.

Friday will once again be "Free Friday" at the track (no admission), list of track activities is here

http://www.hondaindytoronto.com/117-schedule-of-events

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I guess this experiment didn't last :)
Molson Coors returns to IndyCar racing
with new Honda Indy Toronto partnership

TORONTO, ON, May 25, 2015 – Molson Coors is returning to the Indy. Organizers of the Honda Indy Toronto today announced a new partnership with Molson Coors Canada to serve as the official beer and cider of Ontario’s largest annual sporting event, through 2017.

“Toronto has an important place in the history of auto racing in Canada and Molson Coors has been a big part of that,” said Charlie Johnstone, President of the Honda Indy Toronto. “We are thrilled to welcome them back as a major partner of the event."

This is the first year that Molson Coors will be associated with the event since founding and holding title sponsorship of the event from 1986 to 2006. Indy fans will now be able to responsibly enjoy the event with the great brand portfolio of Molson Coors, including Coors Light, Molson Canadian, Creemore Lot 9 Pilsner, Granville Island Hey Day Hefeweizen, Molson Canadian Cider and Heineken.

“We are so excited to be back once again with this awesome motorsport event. Molson Coors has a long history of supporting community events across Canada and we are very proud to be part of the Honda Indy Toronto excitement again!” said Greg Barbour, Senior Director of Sponsorship and Events, Molson Coors Canada. “Our brands have grown hand in glove with the most important sports events in this country and we look forward to joining Honda Indy Toronto fans to celebrate.”

In 2015, the Honda Indy Toronto will feature a full-site license and a central beer garden located near food vendors and interactive games. Individual vendors selling beverages will also roam the grounds.