Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ottawa and area help

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Ottawa and area help

Post by JeffPorter »

Been a long while since I've been to Ottawa and we're heading there for Canada day - Some recos on pubs would be appreciated - also, where should I go on the Quebec side to bring home some good bottles?

Thanks
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Sorry - just found this for the bottles

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic ... 64&start=0

Any pub restaurant recommendations for would still be helpful, though - preferably on the "family friendly" side.

Also - anything interesting at the SAQ right now, or should I just stick with Brou Ha Ha
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Downtown is starting to get more interesting.

This place just opened.

http://www.brothersbeerbistro.ca/

There is Vineyards under the Fish Market which has a pretty good bottle list.

http://www.vineyards.ca/

Others would be The Black Tomato, Chez Lucien in the downtown/market area.

Pub Italia if you want to travel a bit has a good tap and bottle list including Westy

http://www.pubitalia.ca/

There is also the Mill Street Pub at the west end of downtown but you can get that in TO.

Might I suggest a trip to Brassuers du Temps in Gatineau

www.brasseursdutemps.com

Food is above average, beers are probably the best in town.

The other good place is deep in the Glebe (not terribly close to downtown) Arrow and Loon.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Rochefort 8 and 12 are available at the SAQ.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

I second Pub Italia and BDT.

If you feel like a bit of a drive, L'Autre Oeil is great. Haven't been there in ages but what a beer list!

http://www.lautreoeil.com

The SAQ has a fair bit of Belgian stuff...
Houblon Chouffe
McChouffe
Chimay Bleue (330mL/750mL)
Duchesse de Bourgogne
Karmeliet Tripel
Delirium Tremens
Orval
They just added Dubuisson Scaldis and Scotch Silly.
The SAQ website updates their inventory frequently so it's a good tool to see what's where.

jayB

Post by jayB »

If you can get out to Aylmer, L'Autre Oeil (http://www.lautreoeil.com/) has by far the best selection in the area. Lots from Quebec and Belgium (including a pretty good stock of Cantillon usually). Highly, highly recommended. (Food selection is a little light, but I enjoy what they have.)

Aside from that, cfrancis and your other linked thread covered the highlights. And as for the SAQ, as Zuma says, Rochefort is there (8 and 10), but I was also pleased to find Schneider Edel-Weisse there. It's been a staple of a couple of LCBO releases the last few years, and one of my faves. (Hopfen-Weisse is also around, but it's at the LCBO too of course)

Have fun.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Just chiming in to echo the comments so far. My only real addition would be that I just never seem to have any luck with food at Pub Italia, and I've been probably a dozen times. I was downright insulted by the mussels there, for example.

The tap list is decent, and the place is neat inside, but I can't forgive the number of very underwhelming, and the few flat out terrible, meals I've had there. If a group is going, I won't squawk about it, but if I had my choice I'd rather go somewhere else.

One omission above was the Arrow & Loon, and while I'll be the first to complain about the staff there, they do have a decent tap list and the food is solid for pub food.

Clocktower is also local brewpub with generally "meh" beer, but pretty decent food.

On Elgin, the Manx is a great place to enjoy a pint. Tap list is only ok, but really neat place with good atmosphere.

If I had to pick one beer+food place in this area, with a kid in tow, it would be Brasseurs du temps without even a second to think about it. Best combo of food+atmosphere+beer+price in this area for sure. Also, since all the Ottawa-side places will carry a lot of taps you would already know, Brasseurs gives you something you can't get anywhere else that you would normally frequent. One small point about kids there, they have certain seating areas they won't allow kids on past 8pm (patio, for example, has to be kid-less after 8pm).

For flat out beer, L'autre-oeuil, but it's pretty tiny so not sure how kid friendly it would be.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Zuma wrote:Rochefort 8 and 12 are available at the SAQ.
12?

Scotch Silly and Scaldis Amber are now regulars at the SAQ.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

iguenard wrote:
Zuma wrote:Rochefort 8 and 12 are available at the SAQ.
12?

Scotch Silly and Scaldis Amber are now regulars at the SAQ.
Whoops. I had the St. Bernardus 12 in there as well, but there is not stock anywhere.

So yes, Rochefort 8 and 10, in case anyone was puzzled.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Assuming you are brining a car, you could combine a tour of the Deifenbunker with lunch at the Cheshire Cat.

The Deifenbunker is, IMHO, one of the cooler tours in town.

http://www.diefenbunker.ca/

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I'll second the Bunker. Pretty cool. I went a long time ago, before they turned it into a museum and they were planning on closing it permanently and just opened it for a short period of time. The response was such that they decided to turn it into a full museum.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

We should rent the war room for a tasting!

BTW, I'd recommend reservations for the tour. I've seen people get turned away.
cfrancis wrote:I'll second the Bunker. Pretty cool. I went a long time ago, before they turned it into a museum and they were planning on closing it permanently and just opened it for a short period of time. The response was such that they decided to turn it into a full museum.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

If you want a nice museum, Zuma's wardrobe is a nice flashback to the 80's casual business wear. :)

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Given the city's size and the fact that your beer scene is exploding, it'd be nice if someone could write a local guide for the Ottawa area similar to what you see on BA. List everything under categories (bar, brewpub, homebrew), sort the listings by BA/RB rankings, include the Gatineau and metro spots, and let people debate about whether the ratings are accurate.

I plan to visit Ottawa in the fall and a guide of this sort would be very helpful. The ranking by combined BA/RB score - now that they both use numeric ratings - provides an objective meta-score to go by, which is great because the discussion here indicates that there's far from unanimous agreement on which bar has the best tap lineup, bottle selection, etc. Despite all the good recos, I still don't know which bars constitute the Top 3 beer spots in Ottawa/Gatineau.

Now, I'll venture that a guide has yet to surface because up until this year many people probably thought the city was a beer wasteland (and perhaps some still think that), but in the Ontario context I think such a tool merely satisfies the notion that you should be able to grab a solid pint in the province's largest centres and know WHERE you're most likely to get one. I wrote a list for London not because it's a micro mecca (it absolutely isn't), but because there's several bars where decent craft beer can be had and anyone visiting the city should be able to know where to find it. Same should apply for the Ottawa area.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

BDT, Autre Oeil, and Pub Italia

/thread

;)... if you come over, PM me and I'll bring you to the hotspots myself.