Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

beer at the ballpark

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

beer at the ballpark

Post by S. St. Jeb »

electroluminescent

Post by electroluminescent »

The editor must have taken this line out.. 'In Toronto's Rogers Center fans are treated to $10 tall boys of Bud'

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Sadly the selection at Rogers centre is still the shits. Hoping to hit Wrigley in late August for a game.

Soods

Post by Soods »

Wrigley is awesome.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I was at Tropicana field 6 years ago... at that time, Florida's beer selection still left MUCH to be desired... but the ball park still had a few craft brews!

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

I know about the poor selection at Jays games. Is the situation any better at the ACC (Leafs/Raptors) and BMO Field (TFC)?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

If people stopped paying that kind of money for swill, things might change.

IIRC, macro's at Tropicana were maybe $5 and craft was about an extra buck a bottle back then, which wasn't unreasonable.

If you add on 20% up here in soviet canuckistan, a single serving would cost about the same as 5 gallons of homebrew. NO THANKS!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Philip1 wrote:I know about the poor selection at Jays games. Is the situation any better at the ACC (Leafs/Raptors) and BMO Field (TFC)?
Nope and Nope.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I caught an Indians game at Progressive Field two weeks ago and spotted Great Lakes, Buckeye Brewing, Hoppin' Frog, and Thirsty Dog at a place called "Spirits," along with some other micro-looking beers that I didn't recognize. All in the $7 range. Pretty comical when you compare that to the macros at Rogers Centre selling for twice the price. :roll:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Philip1 wrote:I know about the poor selection at Jays games. Is the situation any better at the ACC (Leafs/Raptors) and BMO Field (TFC)?
I am surprised there isn't better selection at Jays games. I mean I get that whichever brewer is in there probably has a ton of power to wield when it comes to getting exclusive rights. But at the same time, the food service company that manages all the concessions is probably also a huge company with tons of pull, and I would think those guys would realize that with the amount the mark-up beer, they could mark up craft beer even more and make crazy profits off of it.

electroluminescent

Post by electroluminescent »

Never been to a TFC game but from what I understand that Carlsberg is the main draft sponsor, pretty sure there are a few Euro lagers that are also available in cans as well as Steamwhistle. Not that it's really tons to get excited about but it does beat Rogers Center.

Apparently you can get Steamwhistle near the prime seating in the 100s at RC but you have to hunt for it.

BMO seems to have some interesting food options http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do/Eat ... o-FC-nosh/

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Presumably they make more money by selling exclusive rights than they think they would by offering better selection. All they would need to do is have one little OCB booth on the 100 level to make it infinitely better.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
I am surprised there isn't better selection at Jays games. I mean I get that whichever brewer is in there probably has a ton of power to wield when it comes to getting exclusive rights. But at the same time, the food service company that manages all the concessions is probably also a huge company with tons of pull, and I would think those guys would realize that with the amount the mark-up beer, they could mark up craft beer even more and make crazy profits off of it.
The food and beverage company is Aramark. They supply food to U.S. prisons, so I doubt they're interested in craft beer in Toronto. It'll take a groundswell of dissent at the current situation to get through to Rogers, but attendance is up this year (so far) and if enough people made a fuss about it, hopefully we could at least see a Steamwhistle tap on every level.

hopaddict

Post by hopaddict »

Malcolm wrote:
The food and beverage company is Aramark. They supply food to U.S. prisons, so I doubt they're interested in craft beer in Toronto. It'll take a groundswell of dissent at the current situation to get through to Rogers, but attendance is up this year (so far) and if enough people made a fuss about it, hopefully we could at least see a Steamwhistle tap on every level.
From rogerscentre.com :
"With the addition of Rogers Centre, ARAMARK now provides professional services at 15 Major League Baseball stadiums: Atlanta's Turner Field, Anaheim's Angel Stadium, Baltimore’s Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Boston's Fenway Park, Denver’s Coors Field, Houston’s Minute Maid Park, Kansas City’s Kauffman Stadium, Minneapolis’ Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, New York's Shea Stadium, Oakland’s McAfee Coliseum, Philadelphia’s Citizens Bank Park, Pittsburgh's PNC Park, San Diego’s PETCO Park, and Seattle’s SAFECO Field."

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

So there's hope...? I know Philly has a great beer selection.