Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last few days at home:

Grand River Pugnacious Pale Ale
Shipyard Smashed Blueberry
Weihenstephaner Kristallweizen
Tree Hop Head Black India Pale Ale
Birrificio del Ducato New Morning
Great Lakes 25th Anniversary Robust Porter
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

munrets

Post by munrets »

Mill Street's Ambre de la Chowder: I first had this the other day on tap at The Only (after a pint of decent yet unmemorable FM Stereovision) and LOVED it. It was like a banana elixir. Drinking a bottle from the sampler pack at the moment and it's still pretty good but doesn't have the same impact as the draught. I called the brewpub directly in the hopes of buying a bunch (being as taken as I am) but alas it's only available in the sampler pack.

(And WRT The Only: do yourselves a favour and, at some point, stroll a bit east at hit The Fuzzbox for their East Coast donairs. I went in for one and ended up ordering a second - it was just that good. The guy that runs the place is super nice and was genuinely curious about my take on the food and whether I enjoyed it.)

Tree's Black IPA, consumed last night: definitely my fav of the release but I agree that it drinks more like a hoppy porter. I wish this was a regular listing. My only other reference point for black IPAs (beyond Netherworld of which I'm not a big fan) is Sublimely Self-Righteous (which was, admittedly, sublime).

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cratez - how's the smashed blueberry? I'm curious about this one, but kind of skeptical...

@ home - St. Ambroise Pumpkin Ale - it's a little muted, but the pumpkin spiciness is still there!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

@ Caplansky's with the family - Denisons Dunkel

@ Home - Philips Ginger Beer - it's nice, very gingery, but difficult to drink a whole bomber.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Finally gotten a record deck, an olden but golden Hitachi HT-324, and playing my vinyl for the first time in 8 years; such a sweet sound!!

Whilst suppin'

Alley Kat Yellow Dragon DIPA - bottle. Too sweet.

Howe Sound King Heffy - Bottle. Just sublime!!

Baird Brewing Kurofune Porter.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Torontoblue wrote:Finally gotten a record deck, an olden but golden Hitachi HT-324, and playing my vinyl for the first time in 8 years; such a sweet sound!!
Nice! I've got a Harman Kardon T20 turntable. Got it about 5 years ago and haven't really downloaded or bought CD's since. The warm sound of vinyl still can't be beat.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Torontoblue wrote: Howe Sound King Heffy - Bottle. Just sublime!!
I haven't had it yet this year... I really love the flavours, but find it a bit boozy. If it was 6.5%, I'd probably buy it more.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Trou du Diable Nez de Poivrot
Trou du Diable Imperatrice

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Last night with Sprague

Stillwater Autumnal - drinks more like an Alt, but still very good
Lawson's Big Hapi - Lots of roast coffee and grapefruit in this IBA
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Paddock Wood 606.....still LOVE this one!

GLB Crazy Canuck

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Last night:

Driftwood Naughty Hildegard
Bruery Oui Oui

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

boney wrote:Nice! I've got a Harman Kardon T20 turntable. Got it about 5 years ago and haven't really downloaded or bought CD's since. The warm sound of vinyl still can't be beat.
I've been running a Rega P2 for about 10 years, done a few upgrades as well. Since then, I've bought maybe a dozen CDs. My only break from vinyl was 88-92, as my foolish preteen mind wanted rap cassettes and new country CDs (YUCK!!!). I keep my collection fairly lean, usually right around 800LPs, I'm not a hoarder so only keep the best of the best, and give the rest away. Heading out garage sale-ing in about an hour to look for more. Found some lab grade water yesterday for a good price to help with cleaning LPs on my record cleaning machine.

Yes, I am a vinyl guy.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale (2012)
Samuel Adams Alpine Spring Lager
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

New morning - Far more in ommon with a Witbier than a Saison. Fairly good summer drinker, though I don;t think I could have more than 1 at a time.

Onto the Nelson Sauvin next.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Tree Captivator Dopplebock
Granville Island Cascadian Dark Ale
Brewdog Punk IPA
Phillips Amnesiac

to be continued....