Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hops and Robbers

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Hops and Robbers

Post by JeffPorter »

"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Aweomse, some in Pickering. Planned on dropping by there to get some Tree Black IPA.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheBeeraholic wrote:Aweomse, some in Pickering. Planned on dropping by there to get some Tree Black IPA.
It's all still in the east end and making its way way west, I guess.

I actually quite liked this on draft - not a hop bomb by any stretch, but a nice, quaffable Britishy IPA.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

JeffPorter wrote:I actually quite liked this on draft - not a hop bomb by any stretch, but a nice, quaffable Britishy IPA.
Which I think I'm going to be a nice changed from all the hop bombs I'm sure everyones been drinking the last few months.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

the reviews of this one are very mixed bag, but i do look forward to trying it when it gets a little closer to the KW area

aser

Post by aser »

had this on tap when visiting guelph, didn't like it at all, very bland.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

To me it drinks like a North American-style ESB. Plenty of rounded hop flavour with low bitterness and a refreshing, moreish quality. The draught version at Morrissey House had a nice orangey-apricoty flavour and juicy palate but none of the intensity that I expect from an IPA (less dryness as well). If you view it as a sessionable, moderately hoppy ESB you'll probably enjoy it.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cratez wrote:To me it drinks like a North American-style ESB. Plenty of rounded hop flavour with low bitterness and a refreshing, moreish quality. The draught version at Morrissey House had a nice orangey-apricoty flavour and juicy palate but none of the intensity that I expect from an IPA (less dryness as well). If you view it as a sessionable, moderately hoppy ESB you'll probably enjoy it.
You always have the descriptiveness that I'm reaching for - well put!

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

Interesting to read the Best Bitter comparisons.

For those of you who have visited Pepperwood's Bistro in Burlington in the past: You should recognize this beer as the Pepperwood's Dry-hopped Best Bitter. ( I had quite a few of them )

Paul Dickey, brewer of Hops and Robbers, was the brewmaster at Pepperwood's a few years back.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

Interesting to read the Best Bitter comparisons.

For those of you who have visited Pepperwood's Bistro in Burlington in the past: You should recognize this beer ( as I recall ) as the Pepperwood's Dry-hopped Best Bitter.

Paul Dickey, brewer of Hops and Robbers, was the brewmaster at Pepperwood's a few years back.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

cratez wrote:To me it drinks like a North American-style ESB. Plenty of rounded hop flavour with low bitterness and a refreshing, moreish quality. The draught version at Morrissey House had a nice orangey-apricoty flavour and juicy palate but none of the intensity that I expect from an IPA (less dryness as well). If you view it as a sessionable, moderately hoppy ESB you'll probably enjoy it.
^^this. 8)

It's a very nice beer, but probably shouldn't be called an IPA.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Picked up a few cans, tastes great to me.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Very light tasting ESB, if im looking for a sessionable IPA i will reach for hop head or smashbomb. Very disapointed with this. There is nothing "Extra delicious" about this at all.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

Hops & Robbers is a weekly sponsor for the Peterborough Disc Golf Club!

The response has been pretty good so far. The craft beer drinkers like it 'cause it's sessionable and balanced. And it's a good introduction to craft beer for the PBR/Bud guys.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

This is a thumbs up for me. Really like this one.