Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

By mistake I posted some comments on a couple of beers in the wrong thread, so I cancelled the post there and will summarise here what I said.

First up was a 25 cl of IPA at Three Brewers, their current seasonal special. It was advertised on one of those cardboard shelf-talkers on the bar, it had an attractive image of a three-masted ship surging through the blue seas. The beer was good, with an American taste as advertised but you could also get the Belgian-style house taste that all the beers have there IMO. These beers are perfect for food, their yeasty edge is perfect for that, but I like them less as quaffers on their own.

Next up was at Volo, Dunham IPA Belge. It poured with a vigorous head and it must be due to a humdinger of a secondary yeast, something of a brett nature I'd say. Good matured taste, earthy and yet still sweet from the malt. Reminded me somewhat of Orval, in colour too. The bubbles in the abundant foam were larger than I've seen before in any beer, could be that secondary yeast showing its stuff. Excellent artisan product.

Gary
Gary Gillman

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Publican House, House Ale. 473ml can courtesy of Cattersley (thanks, man!) I liked this way more than the reviews on RB and BA. A spot on Kolsch, in my opinion.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

VCBW 2012 Cascadian Dark. More of an American brown than the 'Robust' IPA of last year (which was awesome), but it was decent.
cratez wrote:Last night at Gigs Grillhouse in London, ON:

Black Oak Summer Saison (draught)
Great Lakes 25th Anniversary Robust Porter (draught)
Black Oak 10 Bitter Years (draught)
Flying Monkeys Stereovision (sample)
Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René (bottle)
Looks like Milos is already bringing in some great stuff. Did any other staff make the move with him?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Derek wrote: Looks like Milos is already bringing in some great stuff. Did any other staff make the move with him?
Adil, Farmer, all of the Gambrinus waitresses (minus Deb), and the sous chef are working at the new spot. So pretty much everyone came over. I posted a rundown of opening night here. Pootz gave them a score of 96 on Rate Beer, noting that they had 8 beers on tap that he had never sampled before. I'd say they're off to a good start! 8)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

last night it was a can of Augusta and a pint of Edmund Fitzgerald. Delicious!

Streets

Post by Streets »

Last night had a couple of new ones and what hopefully will become a staple (until RPA gets their retail act together).

Thornbridge Kipling South Pacific Pale Ale - I believe it's a single hop brew using the Nelson Sauvin variety. I'd like to say it had hints of passion fruit? I might grab another, but it's pricey at $4.75

Punk IPA
Red Racer

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:

Victory/Stone/Dogfish Head Saison du Buff
Double Trouble Hops & Robbers
grub wrote: ...and a pint of Edmund Fitzgerald. Delicious!
Saloon League event?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

cratez wrote:
grub wrote: ...and a pint of Edmund Fitzgerald. Delicious!
Saloon League event?
nope, picked up a keg on the weekend for the kegerator. this one has made an appearance there before though.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

Double Trouble Hops & Robbers

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Troegs Nugget Nectar.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

Anchorage white ipa with brett. Part of my stash i brought back from Vermont. Great stuff!

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Firestone Walker Wookey Jack
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Lighthouse Switchback - Very nice

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Right now, discreetly sipping a Crazy Canuck in my last hour at work, then it'll be whatever shitty beer they have at Hard Luck while I bang to Blood Ceremony and Witch Mountain. \m/

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

founders all day ipa - bottled 6 days ago! better yet, i bought it 4 days ago so i was getting a 2 day old bottle. it don't get much fresher than that!