Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer from Beards

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Beer from Beards

Post by phirleh »

From Rogue: a new yeast source

KPIC News
From the Rogue Blog
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Guh-ross. I'm a ticker, but I'll be staying away from that one.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

It's taking Hair of the Dog one step further.

There was a beer that was made as an art project a while back using another bodily yeast. Google at you own leisure/risk.
"Toi Sennhauser's OPB"

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

boney wrote:Guh-ross. I'm a ticker, but I'll be staying away from that one.
I second this...

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
boney wrote:Guh-ross. I'm a ticker, but I'll be staying away from that one.
I second this...
Me too, I doubt there will be many "wants" for this.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Yeah, I like wild and fermented stuff - stinky cheese and the like, and even some pretty extreme food, but for some reason, this to me is more gross than that Swedish sour herring...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

First that bacon doughnut thing, now this. Rogue has jumped the shark.

I'm also starting to wonder what Pac-Man means... :-?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

_sloth

Post by _sloth »

Tapsucker wrote:First that bacon doughnut thing, now this. Rogue has jumped the shark.

Hah! It was collected from the Old Growth that occurs just underneath the Joystick.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

_sloth wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:First that bacon doughnut thing, now this. Rogue has jumped the shark.

Hah! It was collected from the Old Growth that occurs just underneath the Joystick.
Thanks...thanks a lot for that image...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

It marks the first time I didn't choose a column because I thought it was awful.
saintjohnswort.ca

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

If they announce that they announce that they're revamped the Yellow Snow IPA so that it's more "authentic", you know we'll be in trouble. :P
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

He works in a yeast-laden environment all the time. I'd be more surprised if they didn't find any yeast on him! There's probably a good chance that it's basically a variety that they work with all the time. Who cares if it was on his beard? (they grew a culture on a petri dish in a lab, I'm sure it's more sanitary than many things we do everyday).

Just some silly free press.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Derek wrote:He works in a yeast-laden environment all the time. I'd be more surprised if they didn't find any yeast on him! There's probably a good chance that it's basically a variety that they work with all the time. Who cares if it was on his beard? (they grew a culture on a petri dish in a lab, I'm sure it's more sanitary than many things we do everyday).

sort of what i was thinking. it's not like they had the dude dip his beard in the beer to inoculate it (and rinse off any breakfast leftovers). it's a culture, and likely reflects his environment more than his bathing habits. it's likely more "sanitary" than spontaneously fermented beers that are just inoculated with whatever floats in on the breeze (yeast, bacteria, bugs, etc). i don't know that i'll rush out to try it, but mostly because it's a goofy marketing gimmick.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

grub wrote:
Derek wrote:He works in a yeast-laden environment all the time. I'd be more surprised if they didn't find any yeast on him! There's probably a good chance that it's basically a variety that they work with all the time. Who cares if it was on his beard? (they grew a culture on a petri dish in a lab, I'm sure it's more sanitary than many things we do everyday).

sort of what i was thinking. it's not like they had the dude dip his beard in the beer to inoculate it (and rinse off any breakfast leftovers). it's a culture, and likely reflects his environment more than his bathing habits. it's likely more "sanitary" than spontaneously fermented beers that are just inoculated with whatever floats in on the breeze (yeast, bacteria, bugs, etc). i don't know that i'll rush out to try it, but mostly because it's a goofy marketing gimmick.
Plus grub, you have viggo's beard to dip in the wort.....

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'm willing to shave the goatee and sell it to any brewer reading this board for the right price.