Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tecate Beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

borderline_alcoholic wrote:I was actually agreeing with you.
DOH! Me am dumb. Sorry about that, I'm only on my first coffee. :-)
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

See, this is what I meant when I wrote Joey, Joey, Joey...this onslaught was very predictable and I knew that poor Joey was going to be slammed every which way....and then defended.
As a beer agent, I can tell Joey that the LCBO has no call for any Mexican beers in their buying plans for the next 12 months. Not to be taken as a criticism of Joey's opinion, I hope to God they never give any valuable LCBO shelf space to another beer like Tecate as that would be criminal. The LCBO shelves are already bursting with non-descript Canadian lagers as well as those from every corner of the world while at the same time the selection of seasonal specialties will be fewer and fewer. Better get used to driving to Buffalo or, better still, every week why don't you drop by one of the larger LCBO stores and start picking up single bottles of various beers you've never tried before. I can bet you dollars to dougnuts that you're going to find many others that you'll like as much or more than Tecate.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Blankboy wrote:How about, instead of mocking people's tastes, we suggest similar beers that we feel they might like and expand their beer knowledge? Or should there be a warning on the start page saying "don't even post on the Forum unless you are highly knowledgeable and your taste in beer falls in line with ours"?

I know of several people, avid beer fans, who avoid Bartowel for exactly this reason, they can't stand the snobby attitude and negative responses to everything.

Anyways, back to bashing newbies...
If people are upset that there are fans of real beer in the city of Toronto, so be it. The MolBat drinkers have more than enough support on their side, they don't need the people who genuinely care about quality beer to give them validation. The reason there are beer websites is because there are people who care about beer. If swill drinkers gave a rat's ass, they'd start their own website and people could go there and get polite responses about their favourite ghetto lager from country XYZ. Sorry, but even though there aren't many beer sites out there doesn't mean the ones that do exist have to be everything to everybody. The site and its users have the right to be exclusive should they so choose. If people want to have a love-in and say that "It's all beer, why can't we all just get along" then they can build their own website to support their delusions. Moreover you certainly can't build the direction or focus of a website sitting on the outside grumbling about those mean geeks on Bartowel. Change requires effort, not bitching.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

Blankboy wrote:How about, instead of mocking people's tastes, we suggest similar beers that we feel they might like and expand their beer knowledge? Or should there be a warning on the start page saying "don't even post on the Forum unless you are highly knowledgeable and your taste in beer falls in line with ours"?

I know of several people, avid beer fans, who avoid Bartowel for exactly this reason, they can't stand the snobby attitude and negative responses to everything.

Anyways, back to bashing newbies...
Agreed. An honest question was asked. No need to take frustrations out on the poor guy.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

My advice to Joey (the one who likes Tecate), if you're still reading, is to try a microbrewed Ontario lager beer. You may find that what you like about Tecate is represented even better by the microbrew (a beer made by a small craft brewery) because:

(i) it isn't heat-pasteurised (generally)

(ii) it is fresh, an important consideration in beer

(iii) it is made from all-barley malt.

I suggest Upper Canada Lager, or Upper Canada Light (if still made), Steamwhistle, King lager, Creemore (although it is darker and "heavier" than what you may like), and there are many others. Ask at the Beer Store. Tecate is just a type of beer, a lightish lager, and you can find many brews here which offer what Tecate does and more. There is nothing "special" about Tecate, in my opinion and that of many on the board here, be adventurous and you may find you'll have an excellent experience.

Gary

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Well I reread both my posts and I certainly didn't mock Joe. People get so damn touchy on this board...

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Josh Oakes wrote:The site and its users have the right to be exclusive should they so choose. If people want to have a love-in and say that "It's all beer, why can't we all just get along" then they can build their own website to support their delusions. Moreover you certainly can't build the direction or focus of a website sitting on the outside grumbling about those mean geeks on Bartowel. Change requires effort, not bitching.
If you want to be exclusive that's your right but I don't know that the other members all share your goal. When I first came to this webiste I learned a lot about beer. I sought out great beers and places from reading this forum. I hope that many, many more people will join and do the same as I have no desire to be a tiny exclusive group. I would rather be in the majority in liking great beer then the tiny minority we are now. Nobody mentioned having a "love-in" and I don't think anyone is deluded, it was just mentioned that maybe when someone asks a genuine question that perhaps they could expect an informative answer instead of a "take your shit beer and get lost loser" type of answer.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Jon Walker wrote:Well I reread both my posts and I certainly didn't mock Joe. People get so damn touchy on this board...
Jon, your posts were civil and informative and I don't think anyone was insinuating otherwise. Don't be so damn touchy :-)

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Blankboy wrote:
Jon Walker wrote:Well I reread both my posts and I certainly didn't mock Joe. People get so damn touchy on this board...
Jon, your posts were civil and informative and I don't think anyone was insinuating otherwise. Don't be so damn touchy :-)
I hope my post wasn't interpreted as mocking Joey. Granted, I did engage in some gentle teasing about his username and his writing style, and I took a subtle shot at the LCBO, but I tried to informative as well. Anyway, my apologies if any offense was taken, none was intended.

Time for the love in to begin!

Joe.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

joey_capps wrote:I hope my post wasn't interpreted as mocking Joey. Granted, I did engage in some gentle teasing about his username and his writing style, and I took a subtle shot at the LCBO, but I tried to informative as well. Anyway, my apologies if any offense was taken, none was intended.

Time for the love in to begin!

Joe.
No joey_capps, your post was awesome, I love you. I love you all. Jebus bless all the Bartowelers!