Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

The Scots Pine Ale from that Historic Ales of Scotland Gift Pack. A fresh-tasting, artisan-style beer with a natural taste of malt, spruce and pine. (No hops are used). I like beers made with herbs or spices but I find they are better with hops in the mix. This is why I like Pumpkin Ales that do not omit hops in the recipe.

Thus, I added a splash of Punk IPA to my glass and found the result superb.

Punk IPA, and American originals of the style (plus some Canadian emulators), are very full-flavoured with tons of citrus but in general I prefer them as seasonings in a beer blend. To me it's similar to the idea of adding stout to an APA to make a Black IPA just as a splash of spicy pumpkin ale can make a stout into a Pumpkin Stout. Indeed, probably a porter or stout can make a saison into a Black Saison, an idea given me by a post here projecting a Black Saison. Quite possibly an excellent taste, and something I'll try soon if I can.

Gary
Gary Gillman

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:

Dogfish Head ApriHop
Lagunitas Imperial Red
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Bellwoods Biere de Garde
Left Hand 400 Pound Monkey

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Phillips Ginger Beer - wow what a great base for a marinade, I could add roasted chilies, crushed garlic, some limes...

Has a pleasant floral quality as a beer to drink as well. Ginger is VERY good for your stomach, so this is worth trying at least one of. Good brewery!
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

PBR

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Belgian wrote:Phillips Ginger Beer - wow what a great base for a marinade, I could add roasted chilies, crushed garlic, some limes...

Has a pleasant floral quality as a beer to drink as well. Ginger is VERY good for your stomach, so this is worth trying at least one of. Good brewery!
Decided to open my bottle tonight hoping for a refreshing beer after a softball game in 30 degree heat. Didn't like it at all. way too much ginger. Ended up being a drain pour for me. If I had a cold, it would be great though :)

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

matt7215 wrote:PBR
Hipster :lol:
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

icemachine wrote:
matt7215 wrote:PBR
Hipster :lol:
Easy - he's only a hipster if he had it at the Dakota and Pet Sounds was playing in the background.

@ barhop: GLB bourbon barrel porter and that B. Oak/Charlevoix/Sawdust Latin Monkey Collab - Dubbel IPA - great concept for a beer, and very drinkable.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Belgian wrote:Phillips Ginger Beer - wow what a great base for a marinade, I could add roasted chilies, crushed garlic, some limes...

Decided to open my bottle tonight hoping for a refreshing beer after a softball game in 30 degree heat. Didn't like it at all. way too much ginger.
I happen to like ginger. It goes raw in my carrot juice. I drink that powerful Maine Ginger Root Brew, and those naturally-made Reids Ginger Beers - so this beer was up my alley.

Perhaps people should have it with Jamaican food like Stew Beef, Jerk Chicken, fried plantain and so on. That would be about perfect.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Belgian wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:

Decided to open my bottle tonight hoping for a refreshing beer after a softball game in 30 degree heat. Didn't like it at all. way too much ginger.
I happen to like ginger. It goes raw in my carrot juice. I drink that powerful Maine Ginger Root Brew, and those naturally-made Reids Ginger Beers - so this beer was up my alley.

Perhaps people should have it with Jamaican food like Stew Beef, Jerk Chicken, fried plantain and so on. That would be about perfect.
I love ginger too, hence my disappointment.

Your point is a good one - I do think this is the kind of beer that would be best paired with the right food.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Belgian wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:

I had it with sushi, like they suggested on the label. I found it paired wonderfully.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Nickelbrook Berliner
10 Bitter Years

At Burger Bar last night. Still crappy service. 10BY tasted off--going to guess it was either super-old or lines were dirty. Aim to never go back to Burger Bar.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

Church Key Pale Ale.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:

Southern Tier 2X Stout
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

electroluminescent

Post by electroluminescent »

Cottage trip is going swimmingly so far...

New Morning Saison
10 Bitter Years
Flying Monkey Smashbomb
Fullers London Porter
Great Lakes/Amsterdam Farmhouse Ale
Great Lakes Buffalo Bourbon Barrel Aged 25th Ann Porter
Howe Sound Total Eclipse Of The Hop (thanks Cale)
Neustadt Sourkraut
Weihenstephaner Hefe