Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Decided to open my bottle tonight hoping for a refreshing beer after a softball game in 30 degree heat. Didn't like it at all. way too much ginger. Ended up being a drain pour for me. If I had a cold, it would be great though :)
I recall trying Phillips Ginger beer sometime in the last 6-12 months. Thought it was disgusting as well, and I like ginger just fine.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Hey Hamilton BT'ers, help me out here....

I just moved back to Hamilton after 3 years out west. I stopped by Dundurn last Friday but was a little under-impressed. I don't know if it's gone downhill since I was here or if it was just really bare prior to the long weekend. What're the better LCBO's to hit up in and around town? Ancaster? Dundas? Mall Road? I have to plan out my trips on the ol' public transit a bit, as my car is still back in Calgary with the wife.

Streets

Post by Streets »

boney wrote:Hey Hamilton BT'ers, help me out here....

I just moved back to Hamilton after 3 years out west. I stopped by Dundurn last Friday but was a little under-impressed. I don't know if it's gone downhill since I was here or if it was just really bare prior to the long weekend. What're the better LCBO's to hit up in and around town? Ancaster? Dundas? Mall Road? I have to plan out my trips on the ol' public transit a bit, as my car is still back in Calgary with the wife.
Dundurn seems to get most of the special releases, but it's a small store so they tend to sell out quickly. The others that are good for craft are University Plaza (larger store, more stock), Centre Mall (walk in beer fridge), Eastgate gets a few goodies in from time to time, and the Rymal/centennial Parkway location is decent too.

Let us know if you ever want to meet up with the Hamilton crew for pints, and depending on where you are I might even be able to help out with a beer run :).

And don't forget to hit the Traffic Circle store and visit Steelbackguy!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

markaberrant wrote:I recall trying Phillips Ginger beer sometime in the last 6-12 months. Thought it was disgusting as well, and I like ginger just fine.
Well always a chance the Amnesiac IIPA will get accepted next time.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Port Older Viscosity 2011, a year from the day I purchased the bottle from the brewery in CA. Same (lack of) carbonation issues that plague Lost Abbey beers ... almost no carbonation present.

Followed it up with a Boneshaker.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Port Older Viscosity 2011, a year from the day I purchased the bottle from the brewery in CA. Same (lack of) carbonation issues that plague Lost Abbey beers ... almost no carbonation present.
Of all the Port/Lost Abbey beers I have tried, Older Viscosity is the only one to impress me. Shame that your bottles have no carbonation, only heard of and experienced first hand that problem with the dreaded Angel's Share.

I've been told that their hoppy beers are quite good fresh, but they must have the worst bottling line ever, because every one I've tried has been awful. And all the belgian inspired beers from Lost Abbey I've come across are lame/weird. Haven't had any of their sours, so can't pass judgement on those.
Last edited by markaberrant on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Captain Lawrence Fresh Chester Pale Ale. First Captain Lawrence beer I've had. Pretty good, though a bit malty for my taste for an APA. Would like a bit more grassy notes and a bit less malty sweetness.

Streets

Post by Streets »

Last weekend it was Canadian at the Hip show in Niagara, then I made up for it on Monday with a bottle of the Amsterdam/GLB Farmhouse Saison (thanks Electroluinescent!) and Cameron's oak aged Doppelbock (thanks Cale!). I split them both with a HOZER friend of mine and then sampled some homebrew ginger beer.

It's currently 33 degrees, so I'm planning to pick up some Weheistephan Heffe for this evening, and thinking about hitting a patio for a cheeky Friday afternoon pint ;).
Last edited by Streets on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Couple tall glasses of Konig Ludwig hefeweizen on tap at the Regina German Club* with my beef rouladen lunch. Got there just as the Hacker-Pschorr Munchner Gold ran out, will have to try it another day.

*one of the only REAL remaining german clubs I'm aware of... all these new so called German "bier halls" are about as authentic as the "irish pubs" we see on every second street corner in this country.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

homebrewed unblended lambic

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

That's very interesting, how did that work out? Is there a resemblance to Cantillon say?

Gary
Gary Gillman

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Light house chocolate porter - Excellent beer. Last on from a haul brought back from vancouver.

New Morning Saison - Nice and complex.

Amsterdam Boneshaker.....

Soods

Post by Soods »

Grand River Russian Gun Imperial Stout

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Finally got around to drinking Grub's homebrew Old Ale that he gave me many months ago (maybe a year ago?).

Very good. Lots of toffee, dark caramel and brown sugar. Very sweet with a nice warming alcohol presence to cut through the sweetness. Well done!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

markaberrant wrote:Couple tall glasses of Konig Ludwig hefeweizen on tap at the Regina German Club*
*one of the only REAL remaining german clubs I'm aware of...
I love German food and beer, too bad the real deal is both rare and underappreciated here. It's lamentable that Canadians tolerate absolute crap food. I was just talking with friends back from Italy about how the highway road stops in Europe often have better food than some of our 'fine' retaurants, which says a lot...
In Beerum Veritas