Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

NYC Beer Haul

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

NYC Beer Haul

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Down in NYC for three days. All purchased from Jen at Good Beer on 9th St.

Stone Ruination IPA
Stone Levitation Ale
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale
Stone Saison Du Buff
FSW Double Jack
FSW Walkers Reserve
Six Point Resin x4
GD Barrel Aged Old Ruffian Barley Wine
GD Hercules Double IPA x2
Six Point Sweet Action
Six Point Bengali Tiger
Oscar Blue's Deviant Dale's IPA
Oscar Blue's Dale's Pale Ale
Oscar Blue's Gknight Imperial Red
Sierra Nevada Summerfest
DFH 60min
DFH 90min
Victory Hop Wallop
Victory Hop Devil
Stoudts APA
Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA
Brooklyn Summer Ale
Founders Red Rya
Goney Island Mermaid Pils
Flying Dog Raging Bitch
Founders Centennial IPA
Flying Dog in Heat Wheat
Southern Tier Hop Sun
Flying Dog Woody Creek Belgian Wheat
Ithaca Casca Zilla
Flying Dog Doggie Style Pale Ale
Nogne O IPA
GD 18th Anniversary Ale Wood Aged IIPA
Ithaca 13th Anniversary Ale
Victory Dark Intrigue
Allagash Curieux Oak Burron Barrelled
Long Trail Double IPA
ST Mokah
Hoppin Frog Hoppin to Heaven IPA
Hoppin Fog D.O.R.I.S The Destroyer Imperial Stout
Stone IRS
Founders Devils Dancer Triple IPA

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

wow, nice.

turned out to be quite the getaway for you! :wink:

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

So is Good Beer the best place for bottles in Manhattan? Also what beer bars did you check out? I'm heading there this weekend so I need some inside info.

Jeremy

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

J343MY wrote:So is Good Beer the best place for bottles in Manhattan? Also what beer bars did you check out? I'm heading there this weekend so I need some inside info.
When we went last year we didn't have a lot of time for bottle shopping. Whole Foods at Houston & Bowery is pretty good. There is two beer sections there, one in the store and one attached.

For bars definitely visit Rattle 'n Hum and The Gingerman. I would also suggest Spitzer's Corner in the East Village for brunch, lunch or dinner. The beer selection and food is pretty damn good. We may be going to NYC again in October and we'd be hitting all those places again.
lister

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

J343MY wrote:So is Good Beer the best place for bottles in Manhattan? Also what beer bars did you check out? I'm heading there this weekend so I need some inside info.

Jeremy

New Beer Distributors is probably the best in Manhattan I would go there first then walk to Bowery Whole Foods. As for bars Rattle N Hum, Blind Tiger and Gingerman are solid choices.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

For bars, also check out Blind Tiger in the West Village. Also, Barcade in Brooklyn (williamsburg) is pretty awesome, but best to go on a weekday night or early.

For stores, just south of the Bowery Whole Foods is New Beer Distributors, which is very good. 167 Chrystie Street.
ren

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

If shopping @ Bowery / East Village - don't forget dba on first avenue, mixed reviews but I've loved every visit.

Spuyten Duyvil was pretentious but good.
In Beerum Veritas

nickw

Post by nickw »

Long time lurker here, but since I'm halfway through a week's trip to NYC right now, I thought it might be appropriate to give my two cents.

As for beer stores, I'm still acquainting myself to them, but I'll agree that New Beer Distributors has probably the best selection in Manhattan. Beer Boutique near where we're staying in Williamsburg is small but well-curated and has a pretty neat CO2 pressure tap/growler system, apparently one of only a small handful in the country, that uses PET containers. My Dogfish Head 90 a couple nights later was as fresh as anything straight from the tap I've tasted.

However, Malt & Mold on East Broadway in the Lower East Side was by far the favourite experience. It's a tiny place, and only three months old, but very well curated (and with some great non-beer goodies like fancy cheese). The proprietor, Kevin, is a great host and directed us to some fantastic bottles, was interested in hearing about the beer scene in Ontario, and made sure that we sampled all of his taps before settling on a growler (Spider Bite's First Bite Pale Ale, from a tiny brewery on Long Island). He acknowledged that his bottle prices were a bit high (new lease on the place and all) and was slightly apologetic ("come back in a couple years!") but his taps were the best I've seen so far. Super nice guy, well worth the trek past Chinatown into what is otherwise a bit of a beer desert.

As for bars: we've hit a lot of them, some for the second or third time, but Rattle N Hum, Gingerman, Blind Tiger, and Barcade (around the corner from us right now!) are all favourites. I'd also recommend Pony Bar at 637 10th - 20 American craft taps + two casks -- super packed when we were there today after work, but $5 beer happy hour, so.... I REALLY liked Spuytin Duyvil on my first visit there; the backyard is great, bartenders friendly, and atmosphere fantastic. Loved my Two Brothers Hop Juise DIPA to close out the evening.

Had probably the best afternoon/evening of beer so far in the Lower East Side/East Village, however. In addition to New Beer Distributors and Malt & Mold (and Good Beer, which we didn't get to yet) we had good pints at One Mile House at 10 Delancey, Hop Devil at 129 St. Mark's Place (they had a West Coast craft tap takeover for happy hour), Jimmy's No. 43, and -- by far the favourite -- Proletariat at 102 St. Mark's Place. This place is pretty new I believe, but it's filling a niche: beer-only, small hole in the wall, bar-focused seating, small (9-10 total) but super well-curated draft list and some great bottles with a motto of "rare, new, and unusual beer". The bartender, Zack I believe, was friendly, welcoming and knew his stuff and seemed only too happy to share it. We only ordered draft -- I had some of the Thornbridge/Dark Star Puja Jasmine IPA, Liefmans Goudenband, and Spezial Rauchbier. Midway through our visit, he re-opened a bottle of the Hanssens Oude Gueuze that had recently been opened, and doled it out amongst the four patrons at the beer. All in all, fantastic stuff and pretty much nothing I've seen anywhere else (so far) in the city before.

Have a great time; this is by far my favourite beer city anywhere.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Don't forget Growler Station:

http://growler-station.com/nyc/

Also, La Birreria in Eataly, and the bar at DBGB on Bowery, have selections unique to the site. DBGB often gets the "Professor" recreations of old German beer styles for example. Birreria makes its own cask ales on premises.

Finally, up north on Amsterdam at 96th, is a beer bar which is a member of a small chain, and is the best of the group IMO with again unique selections from around NYC. It is called Dive Bar and has great ambience and beers. This is the site for the group:

http://divebarnyc.com/

Old favourires too like Chelsea Brewing should not be omitted since they have been in the game a long time and perfected things like their Sunset Red Ale, especially on cask one of the best locally made drops in NYC.

There is also the relatively new beer garden scene, a handful of places have recreated an old NYC tradition.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I saw this today.

Where to drink beer outside of Manhattan

Looks like a few of the places are already mentioned in this thread.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. With all these places to try, I shouldn't have to be sober at all for 4 days!