Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

GLB Anniversary Belgian Saison

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

GLB Anniversary Belgian Saison

Post by atomeyes »

anyone try it yet?

I really dig their Deliverance. wondering how it compares.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

They were pouring it at the Only (out of bottles) at the last beer fest.

My recollection (and this is not helpful) is that it was good. Not mindblowing, but good.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

My experience is the same as Gedge's. They poured it at the Ottawa Cask Festival. Maybe a touch more yeasty than I like, but that may have been a product of the cask format. Worth a go.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gedge wrote:good. Not mindblowing, but good.
That could be RateBeer's definition for the style "Ontario Saison."

Not to knock some properly good ones, but holy how are some of our own riding the Erdinger/Hoegaarden train to Nondescript-boring-wheat Land.

A few have rocked, if I can ever find them. I am hopeful and reserve judgment of this one for my own taste buds! :)
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I had this on tap at the Forest City Beer Fest and thought it was exceptional. I found it to be spicy, yeasty, and refreshing (almost juicy) with an orangey-lemony-zesty character and very little dryness. Definitely has its own unique character. I'll be buying many bottles when it hits shelves.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Is this one going to hit the LCBO like the robust porter did?

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Is this one going to hit the LCBO like the robust porter did?
Yes.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

velovampire wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Is this one going to hit the LCBO like the robust porter did?
Yes.
Thanks.

BrausBackinTown

Post by BrausBackinTown »

it's started to show up on lobo shelves - not yet on the computer system, but found a bunch at the laird lobo.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I had a few samples at Forest City Beerfest as well. I remember thinking "mmmm, ginger", but that was after bruising my palate on Railway City Platform 12, so I could have be mistaken.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Belgian wrote:...holy how are some of our own riding the Erdinger/Hoegaarden train to Nondescript-boring-wheat Land.
+1

Pilsener malt + hops + expressive yeast = saison. Sheesh, nobody's tried Saison Dupont? Nobody likes it? Enough with the wheat, enough with the damn spices already. [/rant]
Here's to the slow path.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wheatsheaf wrote:
Belgian wrote:...holy how are some of our (Ontaro Saisons) riding the Erdinger/Hoegaarden train to Nondescript-boring-wheat Land.
+1

Pilsener malt + hops + expressive yeast = saison. Sheesh, nobody's tried Saison Dupont? Nobody likes it? Enough with the wheat, enough with the damn spices already. [/rant]
What's crazy is Beau's did two Saisons recently - one is a copycat play-it-safe wheat ale, and the other was pretty classic Belgian Saison I'd order all the time if I could find it.

Speaking of, what the heck happened with the good Nickel Brook Saison that I really enjoyed once and can't find again - someone please tell me where this is pouring on tap.
In Beerum Veritas

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

They were pouring the Nickelbrook Saison at the NCCBW this weekend it was really nice. They also had the Green Light Berlinerweiss as well which was awesome.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

750ml bottle from the LCBO. hazy golden with a white head. nose is dominated by grains of paradie, no hopping in the nose, some doughy malt and a touch of yeasty fermentation character. the flavour is sweet up front, again grains of paradise, lightly fruity, no real spiciness from the yeast or any spices they added, and this gets rather aqueous late. not a bad beer but its ugly as a saison. im pretty dissapointed overall and will not re-buy.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

codfishh wrote:They were pouring the Nickelbrook Saison at the NCCBW this weekend it was really nice. They also had the Green Light Berlinerweiss as well which was awesome.
They were also pouring it last week (early part, though) at Volo.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John