Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

jprime wrote:At the Alchemist in Waterbury, VT to pick up some Heady Topper. Sold out. What a piss off. Off the the Prohibition Pig for lunch where things got better in a hurry:

Hill Farmstead What Is Enlightenment
Lawsons Rye Saison
Hill Farmstead Abner
Lawsons Liquid Double Sunshine
Heady Topper
Maine Brewing Lunch

Suprising but I think the Maine Lunch was the best.
Winooski Beverage Warehouse, Warren Store and Hunger Mountain Co-op in Montpelier will all have Heady Topper.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at the Milton Rib & Craft Beer Festival:

Grand River Pugnacious Pale Ale (draught) - seems to have a bigger hop character and bitterness on tap. Solid APA.
Grand River Raspberry Pils (sample) - maybe I'm just partial to raspberries but I think this is the best fruit beer brewed in Ontario.
Flying Monkeys Smash Bomb Atomic IPA (draught) - stupidly fresh and hoppy and a great match with my barbecue.
Flying Monkeys Grape Beer (sample) - has a grape Crush essence that's too sweet for my liking, but my girlfriend enjoyed it.
Brick Waterloo Traditional IPA (draught) - decent grassy, spicy, and balanced English Pale; not a true IPA though.

For dinner we went with the hometown ribbers and defending champions, Boss Hog's BBQ of London, Ontario. Grabbed the Bosses Feast with ribs, chicken, pulled pork, beans, and coleslaw. Everything was delicious. They do a nice tangy sauce with a slight smokiness, which I prefer to the sweeter sauces. Overall it was an awesome night, and I was glad to finally get some craft beer in this suburban wasteland.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

jprime

Post by jprime »

sprague11 wrote:
jprime wrote:At the Alchemist in Waterbury, VT to pick up some Heady Topper. Sold out. What a piss off. Off the the Prohibition Pig for lunch where things got better in a hurry:

Hill Farmstead What Is Enlightenment
Lawsons Rye Saison
Hill Farmstead Abner
Lawsons Liquid Double Sunshine
Heady Topper
Maine Brewing Lunch

Suprising but I think the Maine Lunch was the best.
Winooski Beverage Warehouse, Warren Store and Hunger Mountain Co-op in Montpelier will all have Heady Topper.
went to all 3 Saturday morning. all sold out of both Heady and all Lawsons.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

jprime wrote:
went to all 3 Saturday morning. all sold out of both Heady and all Lawsons.[/quote]That sucks. There seems to be a lot of luck involved in getting any of those limited Vermont beers.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Some Naughty Neighbour at the cottage this weekend:

along with some:
DDC Herbe a Detourne
Red Racer
Ten Bitter Years
GLB Robust Porter
Westvleteren 12
DDC Solstice d'hiver
Troegs Flying Mouflan

edit: Great cheese haul too

Maple Dale 6 Year Beer Cheese (hadn't seen this before and it was fantastic, stunk the whole place up each time I took it out of the fridge)
Maple Dale 6 Year Private Reserve
Maple Dale 2 Year
Maple Dale British Empire 2 Year
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

at coles yesterday. Some were half pints.

firestone walker wookey jack
Saranac Lemon Ginger Saison
Southern Teir Bourbon Barrel Aged Barley Wine
Goose Island Sofie

...and a few others that are slipping my mind.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Yesterday with JB84:

Paulaner @ the Concordia Club (lived in Kitchener my whole life and that was the first time I went, beer selection is actually pretty good for Kitchener, and the food was great)

Anchorage Galaxy White IPA
Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown
Sierra Nevada/Russian River BRUX
Cantillon Kriek
and some gin in between the beers

So far today:

Grand River Raspberry Pils @ Borealis
Toasted Head Cabernet Sauvignon 2009
Cantillon Bruocsella 1900 Grand Cru
Amsterdam Tempest

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I am on a couple of new meds, both of which are steroids, and avoiding alcohol is not part of the recommendation. My rheumatologist says I can can consume 1-2 beers a day if I so choose, and so I will.

Tonight it is:

Naughty Neighbour
Avery Hog heaven
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Kish84 wrote: Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown
How was it?

For the end of my birthday week we just open a Great Lakes/St. John's Wort Collaboration: Lazarus Breakfast Stout. 6%. 35 IBU (would have guessed higher)
WOW!!
This was great a year ago and is fantastic now. Its lost nothing and the flavours have all blended beautifully. The coffee flavour and aroma is a thing of beauty.
GL if you are looking to do a project x repeat you have my vote for LBS!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Lawson's Session in the Rye. Delish. Reminds me why I love saisons.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Bellwoods Monogamy (Summit)
Half Acre Baume Rye Stout

...and some scotch.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

NRman wrote:
Kish84 wrote: Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown
How was it?
I liked it quite a bit. I'm terrible at picking out taste and aroma, which is why I don't rate anything, but if I had to say something about this, it would be Nutella, with a hint of coffee, and bloody delicious.

It makes me want to revisit the Rogue Hazelnut Brown. I was just getting into craft beer when that was here. Was that a general list item or a seasonal? I seem to remember it being around for quite a while here, but that could be a K-W thing.

Terry, if you haven't been to Concordia, I definitely recommend it. If you have been, I'm upset you didn't recommend it to me :wink:

To keep this thread on topic, after the earlier list:

more gin
Magic Hat #9
Stella :( @ Edelweiss, food was good, but that could be the beer and gin talking.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Oude Gueuze Tilquin à l'Ancienne - Got the nose of a scrumpy cider, and a great clean acidic bite. Wonderfully fresh tasting.

Brasserie Artisanale de Rulles La Grande 10 - Pretty decent Belgian strong ale. Nice sweetness from the malt, with a sharp, clean hop bite.

Brouwerij De Ranke Cuvée de Ranke - Like sucking on a freshly cut funky grapefruit. Sharp, acidic, refreshing. Pure delight!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

sprague11 wrote:Winooski Beverage Warehouse, Warren Store and Hunger Mountain Co-op in Montpelier will all have Heady Topper.
Alchemist has been tweeting for the last while when they run out of Topper at the cannery. Typically the Monday batch has been gone by Wednesday/Thursday and the Wednesday (Thursday?) batch has rarely been making past opening hours Saturday morning. I went on a wild goose chase all over the place trying to find it two weekends ago. I tried the Coop in Montpellier, sold out, Winooski and a few others as well. Bartender at Farmhouse told me he's also a buyer for one of the grocery stores (forget which) and he said that it is basically selling out just as fast at the stores as the Cannery. He suggested I try two stores whose names I have since forgotten, but he told me that even those would be unlikely to have any. Wish I could remember. Sounds like until they get the cannery output expanded in a few months Topper is going to be pretty hard to find for the weekend travellers.

And, to keep to the topic, Picaroon's Yippee IPA and Brasseurs du Monde Saison.

jprime

Post by jprime »

Today in Portland:

Long Trail Imperial Pumpkin (draft)
Gritty McDuffs Red Claws Ale (draft)
Maine Brewing Zoe (bottle)
Maine Brewing Pepper Ale (draft)

During the whole trip Maine Brewing has been the standout. Amazing beer. Cant wait to share my new treats with Matt when I get back. Stay posted, its gonna be great.