Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Brewery in Niagara on the Lake?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Timmy

New Brewery in Niagara on the Lake?

Post by Timmy »

Hey I haven't been visiting this site as much since my laptop died but I heard that Kevin Sommerville is opening a new brewery in NOTL called Oast House Brewing? I have found very little info on the net and was wondering if anyone has heard anything?

I didn't see it being discussed on the first few pages of random talk so...I hope this hasn't been discussed to death already.

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

Yep, that he's opening a brewery, nope to that it's been discussed to death.

Not really any more details at the moment.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I wrote a bit about it on CBN a couple of months ago - as well as about a second brewery also opening soon in NOTL - based on an article that ran in the Niagara Advance:

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2012/05 ... -the-lake/

http://www.niagaraadvance.ca/2012/05/09 ... n-the-lake

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Also one called silver smith brewing, and I believe they have just opened recently.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

If Kevin Somerville is the brew master, you can bet they'll be making small beer.

Cause he's a hobbit.

edit: He's a little tiny pixie of a man who dances around his magical mash tun on an elevated knoll in a magical forest glade.

editx2: Good brewer, though.
saintjohnswort.ca

jfitz

Post by jfitz »

I drove by both last weekend and neither was open. Oast House still had paper in the windows and Silversmith had a sign out front but no other signs of activity.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

jfitz wrote: Silversmith had a sign out front but no other signs of activity.
I assume they're close to opening as Milos' Craft Beer Emporium has their Black Lager on tap right now. Gonna give it a whirl tonight!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully Kevin produces some of those recipes he has used over the years at Taps and the college.

Interesting to hear about the other brewery....didn know about that at all. Lots of beer options soon in the Niagara area.

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

SAw some movement or at least someone put up a sign at one of the. Breweries....but no announcements or anything. I'm speculating that things are behind. Anyone hear anything different? Oasthouse now at least has a web page: www.oasthousebrewers.ca? Found on google.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

heading to NOTL this weekend, hopefully doors will be open.

each of the breweries is on FB
http://www.facebook.com/NiagaraOastHouseBrewers
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Silve ... 7793237605

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Timmy wrote:SAw some movement or at least someone put up a sign at one of the. Breweries....but no announcements or anything. I'm speculating that things are behind. Anyone hear anything different? Oasthouse now at least has a web page: www.oasthousebrewers.ca? Found on google.
The two styles of beer they're showing on that site makes it look like a promising brewery..
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

I contacted each of them, neither are open yet.

Visited Niagara College Teaching Brewery instead.