Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Halloween 2012 release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

heebes

Post by heebes »

Shipyards arent getting much of a distro outside of T.O

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

heebes wrote:Shipyards arent getting much of a distro outside of T.O
I think because it's a brewery features, it only sells from those select 40 or so stores.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

clockwerk

Post by clockwerk »

JeffPorter wrote:
I think because it's a brewery features, it only sells from those select 40 or so stores.
Having tried them all now, I can't say I'm disappointed. There's nothing like pouring an Imperial IPA, and finding out its essentially a Barley Wine. Not cool Shipyard.
I keep signing here, but it's just ink all over my screen. I think it's broken.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

clockwerk wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:
Having tried them all now, I can't say I'm disappointed. There's nothing like pouring an Imperial IPA, and finding out its essentially a Barley Wine. Not cool Shipyard.
I agree - the IIPA was like the barley wine, except I liked the barley wine a lot more. Of the beers, that was the only one I wouldn't go back to, not because it wasn't good, but just because it was so similar to an already better beer!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

clockwerk

Post by clockwerk »

JeffPorter wrote:
clockwerk wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: I think because it's a brewery features, it only sells from those select 40 or so stores.
I agree - the IIPA was like the barley wine, except I liked the barley wine a lot more. Of the beers, that was the only one I wouldn't go back to, not because it wasn't good, but just because it was so similar to an already better beer!
I wouldn't go back to any of them to be honest. The IIPA isn't an IIPA as far as I'm concerned, the "Imperial" Porter was thin, the Barley Wine was ok. Actually I might do the Barley Wine again, but I'm thinking we will likely get some far better ones come the Christmas Seasonal.

I thought the Smashed Blueberry was literally abysmal.

Now don't get me wrong, we aren't talking Trafalgar bad here, but it was still really unimpressive. Maybe we can get a Three Floyds brewery feature? A guy can dream right?
I keep signing here, but it's just ink all over my screen. I think it's broken.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

clockwerk wrote: Maybe we can get a Three Floyds brewery feature? A guy can dream right?

A feature with 4 different years of Dark Lord! :D

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Anyone heard anything about when Howe Sound will get here?

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

JeffPorter wrote:Anyone heard anything about when Howe Sound will get here?
As well as:

296111 / Witches Brew Tripel / 750 / $7.95
296186 / Chatoe Rogue Pumpkin Patch Ale / 650 / $6.75

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

BEAU'S WEISS O'LANTERN is showing up in stores. Technically not part of the Halloween release, but it seems like it should've been, eh? :)
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... ber=315853
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Tried the Pumking and Black Creek today. Obviously the ST offering is the star here with a velvety creamy profile you can sip on all night long, but the Black Creek isn't bad either. A lighter interpretation, but the sharp spices make it tasty and worth while.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

clockwerk wrote:I thought the Smashed Blueberry was literally abysmal.
How so? Did you literally find your bottle while in an abyss, or did you drink it in an abyss? ;)

I didn't mind the Blueberry, but how interesting all these low opinions of Shipyard. It's not like our expectations are insanely high for this market, we are fairly accepting. I might still take a stab at the BW for thanksgiving (along with a ST Pumking, of course!!)

Nothing this year beats the GR Highballer for me and I wasn't even fond of it a year or two back.
In Beerum Veritas

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Belgian wrote:
How so? Did you literally find your bottle while in an abyss, or did you drink it in an abyss? ;)
Yes to both.

In fact, every beer that you, clockwerk, and everyone else for that matter drinks, is done so while sitting comfortably on a rather large, mostly rocky oblate spheroid, which happens to be hurtling through an abyss.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

maple99

Post by maple99 »

Bytowner wrote: Anyone seen any Aecht Schlenkerla sitting around lately? :-?
Yes, there is a pile of it at my local LCBO, I think it has been sitting there for approx 3 years now. Look at LCBO.com inventory, there is some out there still.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

dale cannon wrote:
Belgian wrote:
Yes to both.

In fact, every beer that you, clockwerk, and everyone else for that matter drinks, is done so while sitting comfortably on a rather large, mostly rocky oblate spheroid, which happens to be hurtling through an abyss.
Reminds me. I once went to a hockey game where there were fans literayy handing from the rafters. Although I don't blame them, I haven't been back to the Air Canada Centre since.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

dale cannon wrote:
Belgian wrote:
Yes to both.

Your definition is literally out of this world.
In Beerum Veritas