Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Picked up Fullers and Mill Street Barley wines today. The Mill Street apparently spent 6 months in a Jack Daniel's barrel and has a wax seal this year on top as opposed to the paper seal. That is value added :wink:
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Picked up the Fullers VA 2012 + La Terrible + Meantime London Porter + Renaissance Craftsman Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.

The Craftsman is less like a stout than a good strong porter but you get some nice chocolate overtones, medium-light body and pleasing roast & hop dryness. A nice compliment / contrast to the heavy hitters like ST Mokah.
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Hops & Bolts, at a Jack Astor's.

It's well-made, no technical faults. Good base of pale malt, correct colour (light amber) for an India Pale beer. This beer is bottom-fermented and cold-conditioned though, unlike a classic IPA. I must say I couldn't tell from that alone that it was "different", and this may be because many craft ales no doubt are cold-fermented too.

The hops were clearly a blend of flowery English and citric American varieties. I think I would prefer one or the other though (the English one, probably Fuggles, given my choice).

Good product though.

Gary
Gary Gillman

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

twice as mad tom = awesome

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Had a Southern Tier Mokha - meh...

Too much chocolate not enough coffee - mind you, Full City Tempest ruined me for coffee stouts for the rest of my life.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Grand River Highballer Pumpkin is my go to Halloween beer while passing out the candy. This year I noticed a funny thing -- a distinct difference in the versions bottled on Sept 4 and Sept 26, with the Sept 4 being quite a bit better. Anyone else notice this?

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

Mill St. Cobblestone Stout.

Nice stout, except for it exploding all over my kitchen counter :o :o

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

kafercrazy wrote:Mill St. Cobblestone Stout.

mine did that too :(

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

matt7215 wrote:
kafercrazy wrote:Mill St. Cobblestone Stout.

mine did that too :(
And mine. But I was ready the next time...

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Boneshaker
Amsterdam Oktoberfest, ordered at Smokeless Joes, which continues to go somewhat downhill and be out of 6-7 beers every time I go.
Mad Tom

nickw

Post by nickw »

andrewrg wrote:Amsterdam Oktoberfest, ordered at Smokeless Joes, which continues to go somewhat downhill and be out of 6-7 beers every time I go.
i was wondering if i was the only one who thought that way...

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Earlier this week, just to try something different: Molson Export on draft and Murphy Stout. Both were good beers. The Ex seems different from Canadian (I have heard conflicting stories whether it is all from the same high gravity source) and while not quite the earthy-tasting beer I recall from 10 years ago and more, very decent. If they upped the hops and ditched the adjunct it would be even better IMO.

I understand Molson Stock Ale is all-malt and they should put that on draft, that would make sense in the current beer climate.

The Murphy was very good, it had a recognizably porter flavour, but was very light - as if you took an Ontario Impy and cut it by half with seltzer water. But a light stout has its place, and I liked the low ABV for once.

I'll taste beers like this maybe once a year but I like to try them occasionally.

Gary
Gary Gillman

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Great Lakes 25th Anniversary Imperial Black IPA. Really good stuff Lackey.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

nickw wrote:
andrewrg wrote:... Smokeless Joes... continues to go somewhat downhill and be out of 6-7 beers every time I go.
i was wondering if i was the only one who thought that way...
Seems like less inspiring tap offferings than a year ago, when they were talking about constant expansion. Hope business is OK!

Today:
Dunham IPA Belgique @ Only Cafe
Amsterdam Goedenavond Belgian Golden Ale (aged 6 months in Flat Rock Pinot Noir Barrels.) - 750ml from brewery.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Twice as Mad Tom - a very solid IIPA, though those expecting a Ruination-like palate beater will be disappointed. Went well with the mexican food I had earlier tonight.

Just opening the last of my pumpkin beers - Great Lakes Pumpkin Wound. so far I'm impressed!