Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tempest

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

It's definitely at the LCBO because I was shown a photo taken of a shelf at one store and the label on the bottle is legible enough. It was sitting beside other beers that had the usual price tag but under the Tempest there wasn't one and as I said before it is not listed at their website.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i bought 4 bottles from the LCBO today, $5.95 a bottle

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Lots available at St. Johns/Bayview
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Whole bunch at King/Spad.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Bought the three remaining bottles at Speed vale in Guelph. First time trying Tempest - man is it good. I don't think any bottles are going to make it to cellaring.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

This version at the LCBO seems a lot more tame in flavour, thinner in body, and lighter in colour. Not as impressed as I have been with previous batches.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Cale wrote:This version at the LCBO seems a lot more tame in flavour, thinner in body, and lighter in colour. Not as impressed as I have been with previous batches.
i actually found the opposite to be true, i wasnt terribly impressed with other bottles i had tried but i loved the LCBO bottle i had on friday night

distr0

Post by distr0 »

mahcinesquad wrote:Bought the three remaining bottles at Speed vale in Guelph. First time trying Tempest - man is it good. I don't think any bottles are going to make it to cellaring.
i grabbed the first 5 from speedvale on friday afternoon. pretty sure they had just stocked the shelves.

amazing beer.

grabbed a few more in brantford yesterday

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

The LCBO website is now listing the Tempest stock, so no more guesswork in finding out where to get it.

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/i ... ber=317032

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

matt7215 wrote:
Cale wrote:This version at the LCBO seems a lot more tame in flavour, thinner in body, and lighter in colour. Not as impressed as I have been with previous batches.
i actually found the opposite to be true, i wasnt terribly impressed with other bottles i had tried but i loved the LCBO bottle i had on friday night
I'm pretty sure this is from the same batch released in June (even though, yes, I know the June bottles say 10%).
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

I've had two bottles of this batch and based upon reviews and my own memory of having the previous batches, I have a really hard time believing that this isn't a shadow of its former self. Perhaps it was never the beer I thought it was, but this one has one of the thinnest mouthfeels I've had on an impy stout in a long time. The aroma and flavour are not as robust as I'd expect for an impy stout. I find this to be a very average beer.

Maybe my sense of taste is going, because I don't find the new batch of RPA to be quite as juicy as it was either - a complaint my girlfriend didn't have.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

I haven't had this batch of Tempest, but I've never felt that Tempest had a shockingly full mouthfeel.

studious

Post by studious »

This LCBO batch did seem much gentler than in June. Back then it was a punch in the face of bitterness. Maybe I just wasn't used to drinking the big beers in the summer months.

Is it possible it has mellowed significantly over the last 5 months in the bottle?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i think i've got bottles from all three releases... sounds like time for a vertical!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

grub wrote:i think i've got bottles from all three releases... sounds like time for a vertical!
+ 1
I too have bottles of the 2011 and 2012 "Pilot Batch" versions. Soon to be collectible! :)

I wonder if shifting to a larger batch size (did they?) changed the variables of how well the brew extracts from the malt, and they need to tweak. I'm concerned. But I'm also keen to try the latest batch, sincy by any measure even Calm Before The Storm (second runnings ot Tempest) is quite the nice beer.
In Beerum Veritas