Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cameron's Rye Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: I hate to keep picking on this guy but why did he insist on drinking this out of the bottle? And why did the guys at Cameron's let him do that? Makes the whole thing look like a joke.
It was a little weird - even for the brew-master to do it. Bill Coleman seemed to be the only one interested on "showcasing" the beer - even during the pickle bit at the end, he poured an auburn so you could see the colour. (guess that's why he's the president.)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

fyi - according to Cameron's newsletter, they've already started another batch of RPA, so it does look like it's here to stay - they're being pretty tight-lipped about it's potential distribution, though, but sounds promising...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

This is is on tap at Jack Astor's - Dundas St, near Hwy 403, in Mississauga.
Tasted fantastic - $7.65 for 23 oz.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

23 oz? o.O

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Sorry - RPA is on tap at Jack Astor's??? I thought it would just be stuff like cream ale and the lager!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

My faith in Jack Astor`s is restored.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Why doesn't everyone just drink Cameron's Rye Pale Ale all the time? It's pretty much the best beer ever, and it comes in a huge bottle.

Your welcome, "World Peace".

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Guybrush wrote:Why doesn't everyone just drink Cameron's Rye Pale Ale all the time?
I'm trying as hard as I can :wink:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:Sorry - RPA is on tap at Jack Astor's???
I think this is the spill-over effect of so many brewers producing more & better beers, to the point where restaurant chains get used to them & tolerate them, especially with those beers coming from breweries they are long comfortable with.

You can see this a lot in the States where even a so-so chain restaurant (or a tiny airport bar) still tends to have one or two very decent beer options available. Is Camerons potentially the next Sam Adams here? Surely they tighten up their game going forward. Like the sales rep Justin from Nickel Brook said to me yesterday 'It's not becoming any less competitive out there.'
In Beerum Veritas

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Belgian wrote:...Like the sales rep Justin from Nickel Brook said to me yesterday 'It's not becoming any less competitive out there.'
Exactly. The old expression "a rising tide floats all boats" applies to the scene right now: more beers, better beers, an expanding market.

The too-relaxed "boat captains" finally got the message and stepped up their game. The complacent ones will see their boat flounder on the rocks. The strong ones are steaming full speed ahead.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Belgian wrote:Is Camerons potentially the next Sam Adams here? Surely they tighten up their game going forward. Like the sales rep Justin from Nickel Brook said to me yesterday 'It's not becoming any less competitive out there.'
I'd say Creemore is sort of our Sam Adams, though they're no longer independent.

I'd love to have a few places like Applebees on this side of the boarder. Decent food at a good prices, kid friendly, always some local craft on-tap... at least there is in the Pacific Northwest. Original Joe's is getting there, but it's a bit more of a sports bar than a restaurant (lots of tall seating & televisions).

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes. And you know what else is just shockingly good in the US southeast? Mellow Mushroom. Very relaxed kid-friendly vibe, pizzas and other low stress food on the menu, and always at least 10 taps I would gladly order.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Thanks, I hadn't heard of Mellow Mushroom, and there's one in Portland too!

There's a couple similar places around Buffalo:
http://www.pizzaplant.com/

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes, thanks, I've been to Pizza Plant and liked it. Mellow seems to be more of a chain though (looks like there are about 20 of them in greater Atlanta alone). Great to hear they are as far afield as Portland.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

midlife crisis wrote:Yes. And you know what else is just shockingly good in the US southeast? Mellow Mushroom. Very relaxed kid-friendly vibe, pizzas and other low stress food on the menu, and always at least 10 taps I would gladly order.
I went to a Mellow Mushroom in Gatlinburg TN on vacation last year. Great place!