Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Jenlain Biere de Garde Ginger-flavoured

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

old faithful
Bar Fly

Jenlain Biere de Garde Ginger-flavoured

Post by old faithful »

This is very good: fresh and frothy and with a fine edge of ginger flavour. The Jenlain garde taste is just detectable under the spice but the ginger tends to predominate. Fair enough since this is a beer, "aromatisee". But I'd like to taste Jenlain "nature". And 5% may suit a flavoured beer, but served in a small package it is just a teaser. By the way the little metal bottle insulates the beer very well, I think I have just tasted (from) the future of beer packaging.

Gary

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

There was a segment on Daily Planet a month or so ago about using metal cans for beer or other beverages. Metal has the trait of absorbing heat/cold very quickly but at the same time it releases heat/cold very quickly as well. That's why cold cans feel so cold, it releases the cold to your hands more quickly than glass. Speaking of which, glass has the trait of absorbing heat/cold slower than metal and releases that heat/cold slower too. As a result a glass of beer will stay colder longer than a similar sized can of beer.
lister

baiser

Post by baiser »

i believe metal feels colder because it conducts the heat from your hand faster, rather than 'releasing' the cold to your hands....but same difference :D

beanmedic

Post by beanmedic »

That's right. things can only get more hot or less hot. Cold is simply the absence of heat.

pintbypint

Post by pintbypint »

Does it really matter that the can is aluminum, none of us drink from the bottle (can) anyway... or do we :wink:

For what's it's worth the beer was a big dissapointment for me.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

except that I have a big investment in aluminum

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Gotta say I didn't mind this flavored beer at all...much like a spiced beer spritzer for patio or lawn chair in the heat...refreshing with a nice hint of ginger twang in the finish. I liked it and I don't usually like these type of light summer spritzy drinks

With the right promotion and distribution I think this would knock off some Molcorbatt territory and also some of the segram spritzer drink market as well.
Aventinus rules!

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

Damn, this is a tasty treat!

I had one a couple of days ago and bought more since. In fact, I'm enjoying one right now.

Just for the record, I hate ginger!

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Yes, I enjoyed it too. I'm also not a big fan of ginger, apart from the occasional bit of pickled ginger with sushi.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I have to say I am quite surprised at the positive reaction to this beer, especially given the eclectic group of discernable palates here on Bartowel! I thought it was nothing more than gimmick cooler type drink, a Canada Dry with a kick (maybe this is what Molson should have done)and I had a hard time locating its beer origins (and this isn't an invitation to explain to me how it is made, I'm sure it is a beer, I believe you). Neat "bottle" though. But to each their own. The only one of this meager release I have gone back for more of is the Choulette Blonde.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

tupalev wrote:I have to say I am quite surprised at the positive reaction to this beer, especially given the eclectic group of discernable palates here on Bartowel! I thought it was nothing more than gimmick cooler type drink, a Canada Dry with a kick (maybe this is what Molson should have done)and I had a hard time locating its beer origins (and this isn't an invitation to explain to me how it is made, I'm sure it is a beer, I believe you). Neat "bottle" though. But to each their own. The only one of this meager release I have gone back for more of is the Choulette Blonde.
Couldn't agree with you more. It's no better than what my Father-In-Law drinks which is Lakeport mixed with a President's Choice ginger-ale. It's good for people who hate beer I guess but the exorbitant price will limit it's sales greatly.

The Spring release is the most dissapointing release that the LCBO has had as far as I can remember.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

if you find the release disappointing...write to chris.robertson@lcbo.com. and kathy.messersmith@lcbo.com. as they made the buying decisions.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

esprit wrote:if you find the release disappointing...write to chris.robertson@lcbo.com. and kathy.messersmith@lcbo.com. as they made the buying decisions.
Will do.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Blankboy wrote: It's no better than what my Father-In-Law drinks which is Lakeport mixed with a President's Choice ginger-ale.
AH-HA! I was trying to figure out what this stuff reminded me of, and you just jogged my memory. At a friends cottage a dozen or so years ago, we would spend the afternoons drinking beer (one of the President's Choice beers, I think) mixed with cheap ginger ale. It was refreshing enough on a hot summer day, but certainly not great if judged as a beer. That's what this Jenlain stuff is like.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Blankboy wrote:It's good for people who hate beer I guess but the exorbitant price will limit it's sales greatly.
Wasn't aware that my enjoying this meant that I hated beer, but thanks for your opinion! Good thing taste isn't a subjective thing.