Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New LCBO in Whitby (74 Thickson Rd. S.)

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Beer-B-Q

New LCBO in Whitby (74 Thickson Rd. S.)

Post by Beer-B-Q »

Can someone tell me if it was wrong to anticipate anything else other than complete disappointment? The old LCBO that this one was built to replace had a better selection of beer than this massive bright and shiny new one.

TJ

Post by TJ »

I popped in there today for a quick look around. Yeah. One of the worst beer selections around, especially considering the size of the store.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Sometimes new stores take a month or two to fill out their offerings, only stocking the most popular stuff first and gradually filling in with customer preferences. If you stop in again, leave feedback with an employee, especially a manager if you spot one.

I've found new stores are more likely to change selection rapidly as well, Established ones less so since they know what sells in the community
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cattersley

Post by cattersley »

Its terrible I would never go back!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

They opened a new LCBO in Stratford today. I haven't checked it out yet, but I heard from beer people that's same old shit.

We should be used to constant disappointment by now.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Don't worry, though...Timberley's got us covered...

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... e-gambling
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

All I see when I read the LCBO's supposedly great sales numbers is this:

$4.7 billion – LCBO’s net sales and other income in 2011-12

And less than $2 billion is sent back to the province.

Private retail would increase the government's revenues, and the government would save money by not having to pay ridiculous wages to shelf monkeys (who should be earning minimum wage) or paying for the upkeep of retail locations.

Plus the selling off of 600+ retail locations would generate an immediate boost to the coffers.

It makes me sick that Ontario sheeple are getting angry at teachers for fighting back against the wholly repugnant Bill 115, and yet give a free pass to LCBO workers.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I guess this discussion is going on in the other thread, too, but while I'm open to this idea - I'd like to have the numbers broken down for me by someone.

Would not paying the salaries + the tax revenues = the same amount of profit for the province?

Hudak seems to think it'll bring more in, but I don't know. Did that happen in Alberta?

Like I say, I'd like someone from the PCs to break the numbers down for me.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I think you can demand that any regularly-listed product at the LCBO be made available at the store, and I don't think you'd be on the hook for it. You might as well do it - leverage the governmental nature of the LCBO to your advantage.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

JeffPorter wrote:I guess this discussion is going on in the other thread, too, but while I'm open to this idea - I'd like to have the numbers broken down for me by someone.

Would not paying the salaries + the tax revenues = the same amount of profit for the province?

Hudak seems to think it'll bring more in, but I don't know. Did that happen in Alberta?

Like I say, I'd like someone from the PCs to break the numbers down for me.
That depends on how you structure the taxes and licencing fees.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:All I see when I read the LCBO's supposedly great sales numbers is this:

$4.7 billion – LCBO’s net sales and other income in 2011-12

And less than $2 billion is sent back to the province.

Private retail would increase the government's revenues, and the government would save money by not having to pay ridiculous wages to shelf monkeys (who should be earning minimum wage) or paying for the upkeep of retail locations.

Plus the selling off of 600+ retail locations would generate an immediate boost to the coffers.

It makes me sick that Ontario sheeple are getting angry at teachers for fighting back against the wholly repugnant Bill 115, and yet give a free pass to LCBO workers.
Write your MPP.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo