Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Indie Alehouse

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

munrets

Post by munrets »

Personally, I'm rather disappointed that there's been this much mention of In-And-Out Burger and not a single Big Lebowski reference. (I'm looking at you, Belgian, or at least your avatar...)

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

Steve Beaumont wrote:I've got to reply to this one, Lackey. White Castle is "really bad" and "despicable," but you've been "a few times"???? :o :lol:
I oft make poor culinary/dietary decisions when I've been drinking Stephen :(

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

JeffPorter wrote:Five Guys?

Five Guys is actually pretty good for a chain. Not crazy about the processed cheese, but I can see why they use that for "authenticity".
Seriously? Undercooked chips, thin MacDonald's looking patty, and over-priced. One visit was enough!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Given the wave of indignation (express or implied) against White Castle's offerings, may I be permitted a modest rejoinder?

I like the place.

First, the history is very interesting: it is amongst the first of the national-scope hamburger systems, and surely the only multi-location fast food operation from before WW II still in existence of any visibility.

I like the design of the place and the cool retro (legitimate in its case) framed photos in the interior.

Second, the burgers, at the least the original type, don't come as huge curling stone-looking things. They are small and compact, with a price to match, and you can have one or two and that's enough (sometimes) for little money. The fries are just fine, too. I like the hamburgers as they come, with just a bit of grated onion on top. You don't need the cheese and other stuff that adds more needless calories.

One or maximum two little burgers in a bag, eat some of the fries, a good hot coffee (better than McDonald's or Burger King's IMO), and it's a nice lunch or post-beer snack, with a slice of Americana thrown in for free.

I'll take that over the $8.00 combos at the big chains any day.

Gary
Last edited by G.M. Gillman on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gillman

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Okay. I'm back on the Gary bandwagon. I have never eaten at a White Castle (despite some neferious photos) but the simplicity appeals to me.
It's the only burger joint i know that had bullet proof glass (Tiger Stadium) I hope that the consistantly overnlarge portions in most fast food joints will evolve out like the over alcoholized, over hopped, unbalanced, mostly medium quality beers that I experience.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Wikipedia has an interesting article on White Castle, the stores are all company-owned, it is not a franchise but it pioneered a multi-location hamburger restaurant system using standardized recipes and assembly-line techniques in the kitchen.

There is no substitute for a good, home-style hamburger cooked by a good pub, I'm with people on that. I just find the place interesting, that's all.

Once we are talking about burgers (I haven't tried Indie Ale House's yet) I should say I like beerbistro's a lot. The one at Volo, using veal I believe, looks great but I haven't had the chance to try it.

Gary
Gary Gillman

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Oh goodness me, the old Volo burger, with gorgonzola, pancetta, homefries and salad? Fabulous. I wonder if they will still have that in the new configuration.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

midlife crisis wrote:Oh goodness me, the old Volo burger, with gorgonzola, pancetta, homefries and salad? Fabulous. I wonder if they will still have that in the new configuration.
nope.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Cass wrote:White Castle is terrible, and definitely not what I was comparing Indie's burger to. Neither was it In & Out, although I haven't actually been there to make a comparison. But it's another spot...maybe I'll keep it a secret as the guessing is makes for fun conversation :-)
it ain't shake shack.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Torontoblue wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:Five Guys?

Five Guys is actually pretty good for a chain. Not crazy about the processed cheese, but I can see why they use that for "authenticity".
Seriously? Undercooked chips, thin MacDonald's looking patty, and over-priced. One visit was enough!
In the brampton store, the fries were always crispy and nice and salty. The patty's a little thin, I'll admit - I'm not saying they're better than, like, my own burgers, but for take out, the one here, at least, isn't bad.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

1. Holy Chuck
2. burgers priest

(and HC wins due to lack of pretence, genuinely nice guys running the show, a larger menu, no secret menu silliness, and wicked milkshakes)

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

I just returned from dinner with my girlfriend here and we were both sadly disappointed.
The beers on tap were good and I especially enjoyed the mild they had on offer but it all went downhill from there.
It was an ominous sign when our smoked wings, which were delicious, arrived before our beers, kinda odd. Between the two of us we shared the shrimp tacos, pulled pork and 3 hog pizza or whatever it was called. All of it was ok but nothing amazing and frankly overpriced for the portions and quality. The shrimp tacos came as three tiny tacos accompanied by clearly past their prime lime wedges i struggle to get a drop out of. The pulled pork was good but nothing more and it was missing the side of coleslaw that was suppose to accompany it. The pizza was all right but again nothing fantastic for the price.

All of this i could let slide were it not for the nail in the coffin which was the incompetent service. We had to ask for cutlery, it took quite some time for our drink orders to be processed and we were often left with empty glasses for far too long. The failed to inform us of their guest tap, the only reason I discovered its existence was from overhearing another waitress mentioned it to an adjacent table. While we were waiting forever to get our waitresses attention to grab the bill (15+ minutes with empty plates and glasses) folks at another table yelled over to the bar requesting if they could get some service and order drinks. Mind you none of this is to say the servers were rude or unpleasant just seemingly disorganized and very green.

All in all I had high hopes but it was the poor quality service and overpriced food compared to what it was which made the experience a negative one. I'm willing to give this place another try but only for beers and I'll sit at the bar in hopes of more attentive service.
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Sounds like some they need a little refinement to get the place running smoothly? My guess is they've been so focused on beer for so long that the food, service and extras will take longer to fall into place nicely.

Hope to make it here soon.

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Was here tonight - finally! Quite enjoyed the "Three Hour Tour" - a coconut/raspberry Farmhouse Ale. Great stuff!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Saw this on Twitter earlier today, from Indie Alehouse:
Hey Junction! Please bring back your empty growlers, we are down to our last 30 from a starting 3500!
That's a lot of empty...or in use, growlers out there!