Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westy 12 release: mid December

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bill Pierce

Post by Bill Pierce »

As much as I diss the LCBO, and the discredit they deserve for underestimating and mishandling this limited Westvleteren release, there are plans to include Orval, Chimay Blue and Rochefort 10 among their regular offerings beginning later this winter. Let's see if they follow up on this.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

StevenThrasher wrote:Like many have stated I hope this will get the LCBO to list other top beers more often.
SAQ has Chimay Blue and Rochefort 10 consistently, why can't we get these more often in Ontario?
Being in Kingston definitely has it's perks, it's only an hours drive to pick those and other fine American brews... If you're ever in watertown, head to Bear World http://www.bearworldnny.com/

Now if only I can manage 1 of the 60 Westy packs coming to kingston...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

In other news, the BA Cameron's beers are showing stock. Wow! Did they ever pick a bad release day!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

JeffPorter wrote:In other news, the BA Cameron's beers are showing stock. Wow! Did they ever pick a bad release day!
You mean there are other beers in existence besides Westy 12?

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

JeffPorter wrote:In other news, the BA Cameron's beers are showing stock. Wow! Did they ever pick a bad release day!
Was at Cornwall & Trafalgar LCBO in Oakville today and since the Westy wasn't in, I asked about the Cameron's. I was told that they weren't carrying it, but could get it at the brewery just up the road. Didn't think that was the case because it was advertised as an LCBO-exclusive, but since it's only a few minutes away, what the hell, so I stopped in and was told they didn't have it, but it should be available, or would be in the next couple of days, at that LCBO.

Screw it, I'm going to Black Oak for a case of Nutcracker.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

kinguy wrote:
Screw it, I'm going to Black Oak for a case of Nutcracker.
Funny how NOT getting a beer feels like a special occasion have the urge to crack a St Berny and a Rochefort tonight!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

The Abbey did not view this as a something that our company had earned nor as a reward of any kind. Similarly, we have not viewed this special one-time project as a reward for any given distributor or retailer. There also isn’t much profit involved here, as most everybody working on this has agreed to either donate back or forgo profits to help maximize the money going to the Abbey. No store that gets this beer is cashing in on it; at least we hope they aren’t Our mission is simplicity and charity. It would do no good to divide the tiny number of packs we were to receive across every store selling our beer. Consumers would be sent on a scavenger hunt. Prices would vary wildly. Our hope is that these packs are selling for the same $85 in each location and that in as many places as possible sales begin on 12/12/12.

I call bs on this, no way LCBO would agree to sell this without profit.....

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

JeffPorter wrote:Funny how NOT getting a beer feels like a special occasion have the urge to crack a St Berny ...!
same.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

ercousin wrote:From: http://121212xii.wordpress.com/

The Abbey did not view this as a something that our company had earned nor as a reward of any kind. Similarly, we have not viewed this special one-time project as a reward for any given distributor or retailer. There also isn’t much profit involved here, as most everybody working on this has agreed to either donate back or forgo profits to help maximize the money going to the Abbey. No store that gets this beer is cashing in on it; at least we hope they aren’t Our mission is simplicity and charity. It would do no good to divide the tiny number of packs we were to receive across every store selling our beer. Consumers would be sent on a scavenger hunt. Prices would vary wildly. Our hope is that these packs are selling for the same $85 in each location and that in as many places as possible sales begin on 12/12/12.

I call bs on this, no way LCBO would agree to sell this without profit.....

I don't think this is bs - at least, I have no reason to believe it.

The Abbey's always been consistent in terms of their sales and income.

I could actually see the LC selling this at loss, it's worth the publicity. There's a certain prestige in scoring this beer and then having it sell out in minutes.

I like the little part about the gift pack. I wanted to split mine with my Brother-in-Law for Christmas.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

kafercrazy wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:Funny how NOT getting a beer feels like a special occasion have the urge to crack a St Berny ...!
same.
Yep.
Gonna have me an Orval and Rochefort 10 this week sometime to console myself.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

JeffPorter wrote:t pack. I wanted to split mine with my Brother-in-Law for Christmas.
I don't think that's what they are frowning upon.

dwt

Post by dwt »

JeffPorter wrote:
IPA_Lover wrote:
dwt wrote:9:40 am 12/12, I'm on a list at 3 stores, haven't got a call from any. Just called one of to ask if it's in and they said it was not in yet.
Screw lists! It better be first come first serve!
There's no lists - they were taking lists before and had to scrap them.

Just everyone be nice to everyone else out there, please. Whether you get one or not it's supposed to be a happy day....

(...as long as I get one...) :)
Had a call from one of these stores, memo has been sent out, no lists are being honoured, first come first serve.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

rejtable wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:t pack. I wanted to split mine with my Brother-in-Law for Christmas.
No I know, they were worried about individual bottles.

Actually, out of curiosity (and it's none of my business, so you can tell me where to go and you certainly won't get any judgement for me.) but I'm wondering for those of you who got them, do you plan to give any as gifts to family or friends?

I think the monks would approve!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

JeffPorter wrote:
rejtable wrote:
No I know, they were worried about individual bottles.

Actually, out of curiosity (and it's none of my business, so you can tell me where to go and you certainly won't get any judgement for me.) but I'm wondering for those of you who got them, do you plan to give any as gifts to family or friends?

I think the monks would approve!
i think that has specifically been asked in interviews with them. they're generally fully in favour of you sharing their beer with others, just not in people profiteering of their work.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

if you go to the cafe beside the monastery, you will see that, indeed, profit is something on the monks' minds.
they are churnin' out the beer in the huge cafe. and some of the staff is surly