Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westy 12 release: mid December

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bill Pierce

Post by Bill Pierce »

I've been saying for a long time that beer should be treated like what Vintages does with wine and spirits.
At one time special beers were indeed part of the Vintages program. However, the people who worked in that section of the LCBO were neither very knowledgeable nor very interested in beer (they were serious oenophiles), and they let it wither on the vine, so to speak. So beer got "released back into the general prison population" where it remains. There are still those at the LCBO who think that the Beer Store should handle all beer sales.

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

Big gamble, gonna give Kingston a try on Monday when I pass through. Wish me luck!

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

Kijiji sellers have become more clever over the past 12 hours....they're now listing the glasses and box with a "contact me if you are interested in Westvleteren products". I reported them anyway, though not sure it will do much good.

This one in particular is an 'accountant' who is obviously having a hard time finding work (according to his advert offering 'tutoring', not to mention illegal reselling of beer):

Chartered Accountant & Experienced Tutor

Hi There,

Admission to university is getting more and more competitive…..can you make the grade? I’m here to help you achieve your academic potential through professional and customized one-on-one tutoring.

If you are looking for a native English speaker who excels at essay writing or a business professional who possesses a wealth of knowledge in the subjects of Accounting and Economics, look no further!

I have extensive experience teaching elementary, high school, university, and ESL students in conversational English, essay writing (all levels), presentation skills, math, economics, and accounting.

I am available in the Toronto and Scarborough areas. $30/hour.

Please call me at (416) 433-5636.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

mixedup wrote:Kijiji sellers have become more clever over the past 12 hours....they're now listing the glasses and box with a "contact me if you are interested in Westvleteren products". I reported them anyway, though not sure it will do much good.

This one in particular is an 'accountant' who is obviously having a hard time finding work (according to his advert offering 'tutoring', not to mention illegal reselling of beer):

Chartered Accountant & Experienced Tutor

Hi There,

Admission to university is getting more and more competitive…..can you make the grade? I’m here to help you achieve your academic potential through professional and customized one-on-one tutoring.

If you are looking for a native English speaker who excels at essay writing or a business professional who possesses a wealth of knowledge in the subjects of Accounting and Economics, look no further!

I have extensive experience teaching elementary, high school, university, and ESL students in conversational English, essay writing (all levels), presentation skills, math, economics, and accounting.

I am available in the Toronto and Scarborough areas. $30/hour.

Please call me at (416) 433-5636.
?

I'm missing something - is there something embedded in the text about Westy?

The only thing I see on Kijiji is people offering the glasses and boxes.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Bill Pierce

Post by Bill Pierce »

I can say definitively (I was there at 9:40 tonight) that the Ancaster LCBO *does not* yet have their allocation. An employee said, "I cannot say" in answer to a question whether it could arrive tomorrow and be put on the shelves.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Bill Pierce wrote:I can say definitively (I was there at 9:40 tonight) that the Ancaster LCBO *does not* yet have their allocation. An employee said, "I cannot say" in answer to a question whether it could arrive tomorrow and be put on the shelves.
Just like avenue and Lawrence. Truck didn't arrive until 9am. Good chance it'll be out tomorrow morning.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

Bill Pierce wrote:I can say definitively (I was there at 9:40 tonight) that the Ancaster LCBO *does not* yet have their allocation. An employee said, "I cannot say" in answer to a question whether it could arrive tomorrow and be put on the shelves.
How many is Ancaster allotted to receive again? PM if you want ;) haha

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Well, getting up early tomorrow for a drive to get in line. Hopefully I get a six pack.

Sending my retired father who lives close to the GTA to a different LCBO to wait in line.

Having a retired parent who hates staying home AND lives near Toronto is proving to be handy.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Well, getting up early tomorrow for a drive to get in line. Hopefully I get a six pack.

Sending my retired father who lives close to the GTA to a different LCBO to wait in line.

Having a retired parent who hates staying home AND lives near Toronto is proving to be handy.
Seems like for people today any later than 8 am was pushing it. For the last day 6:30 - 7:15 seems like a safe bet. Sucks getting up early though. I was at Weston for 7 am on Wendesday...

Bill Pierce

Post by Bill Pierce »

How many is Ancaster allotted to receive again?
I never heard a number for Ancaster. They've been very close-mouthed about the entire subject.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

ercousin wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Well, getting up early tomorrow for a drive to get in line. Hopefully I get a six pack.

Seems like for people today any later than 8 am was pushing it. For the last day 6:30 - 7:15 seems like a safe bet. Sucks getting up early though. I was at Weston for 7 am on Wendesday...
Jeez. We should be arriving by 8am at our chosen LCBO, so hopefully we're not SOL.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Tickets all gone at Yonge & 7 at 6:20. I was just a couple minutes late :([/list]
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

GreatCop

Post by GreatCop »

icemachine wrote:Tickets all gone at Yonge & 7 at 6:20. I was just a couple minutes late :([/list]
?!?!?!?!?
Good lord, my friend was going to line up there at 7:30 and I figured he'd at least have a chance at nabbing one of the last packs. Shows what I know.....

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Probably another dozen showed while I was in the parking lot.

C'est la vie
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

jimmay

Post by jimmay »

Long line ups at two stores in london. At least I'm in one. Shelf stockers report small quantities are in store.