Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westy 12 release: mid December

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I echo the sentiment that the vast majority of LCBO employees and store managers I interacted with were pleasant and accommodating, and reflected well on their organization.

It's a bit amazing to me how the hype grew from Wednesday through to Friday (and really shows that they should have done a coordinated release all on one day). On Wednesday, I arrived at Summerhill (practically the flagship store for the entire province, so you would think people would flock there) at 8:40 a.m. and was 21st in line. People arrived up to 9:30 or so and still got a pack. Today, on the other hand, people are getting out of bed at 3:30 in the morning and being turned away from lines by 7:00 a.m.

So good job by the LCBO store staff on the ground but terrible job by the person in management who had overall responsibility for this and dropped the ball on coordinating it properly.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

Here's what I'm wondering. If I've tried other trappist beers like the St. Bernie's ABT 12, Westmalle, Rochefort, Orval, whatever...is the Westy 12 SO GOOD that it would immediately stand head and shoulders above all of these?

I know taste is subjective, I'm just wondering and hoping (since I didn't get one) that I'm really not missing out on anything that spectactular.

That being said, I'd love the opportunity to grab a chalice and a couple bottles if anyone in the forum here can accomodate. We can figure something out.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

MaltyTasker

Post by MaltyTasker »

midlife crisis wrote:So good job by the LCBO store staff on the ground but terrible job by the person in management who had overall responsibility for this and dropped the ball on coordinating it properly.
My point exactly! Phenomenal organizational failure salvaged somewhat by MOST staff who were dealing with a situation that was probably tougher on them than on many of us.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

IPA_Lover wrote:I know taste is subjective, I'm just wondering and hoping (since I didn't get one) that I'm really not missing out on anything that spectactular
A resounding "no, you're not". IMO.

This coming from someone who did get a brick, and also has a couple leftover from a private order.

Achel Extra, Rochefort 10, St Bernardus ABT 12... all fantastic, in the same ballpark. Don't let anyone tell you anything different.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

GreatCop wrote:Thirsty & Miserable just posted on FB that their Westy will be delivered mid-next week, in case anyone's up for a jaunt to Kensington Market. No quantity was given, and "price will depend on sales this weekend" :)
In an interesting correlation the odds of me ever spending a penny in their bar will depend on the price they settle on.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

IPA_Lover wrote:Here's what I'm wondering. If I've tried other trappist beers like the St. Bernie's ABT 12, Westmalle, Rochefort, Orval, whatever...is the Westy 12 SO GOOD that it would immediately stand head and shoulders above all of these?
I presume, having not tasted Westy 12, and that I'm generally not a Belgian beer fan, that this may be the one and only chance Westy 12 is available for retail sale here at non-marked up bar prices. I know that if my girlfriend wasn't a big Belgian fan that I would probably still try for a case so I can trade it for other rare beers I'm interested in that I couldn't otherwise normally get.

I'll be trying a gulp of it when she's back from vacation and a gulp of the three remaining bottles over the years as they age. I'll probably think nothing more than "Enh, whatever." :P
lister

MaltyTasker

Post by MaltyTasker »

IPA_Lover wrote:Here's what I'm wondering. If I've tried other trappist beers like the St. Bernie's ABT 12, Westmalle, Rochefort, Orval, whatever...is the Westy 12 SO GOOD that it would immediately stand head and shoulders above all of these?

I know taste is subjective, I'm just wondering and hoping (since I didn't get one) that I'm really not missing out on anything that spectactular.
In my personal opinion: Westy (at 6 months old) is excellent, but probably no better than Rochefort 10 (fresh or at 1 year old anyway) though fairly different (for the same style). I actually find it to be quite different from St. Bernie's, but much more similar to Achel Extra Bruin which I personally would love to try side by side with Westy. I don't think I could choose between Westy/Achel/Rochefort, but I prefer them all to Bernie's. It is much different from Orval.

That all said, NO, it is not head and shoulders above them, though some swear that it is once aged and that I shall have to discover. They are all solid. Even if Westy is better, obviously open to much dispute, it most certainly isn't much so. Personally, though great, I think it is simply overhyped by story and scarcity.

And, on the Achel Extra Bruin: I would split an import case of that from Esprit with someone if interested (and if/when available in the new year). PM if interested
Last edited by MaltyTasker on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

I've had Westy 12 before, and in my opinion it's no better than Bernie's 12, I would be hard pressed to tell them apart. I think part of the problem with evaluation/palate is that I can't taste rare.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

On the where to try Westy front: Volo has all three and is doing flights on "Westy Wednesdays".
Last edited by midlife crisis on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaltyTasker

Post by MaltyTasker »

midlife crisis wrote:On the where to get Westy front: Volo has all three and is doing flights on "Westy Wednesdays".
Any idea what they are charging (for a flight/for a bottle/especially for a bottle of the 8 I have yet to try!)?

vandutchy

Post by vandutchy »

Congrats to everyone that managed to get the gift pack and who really wanted it for personal consumption. For those of you that are trying to sell it at an outrageous mark up I hope you choke on a beer cap! :evil:

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Any idea what they are charging (for a flight/for a bottle/especially for a bottle of the 8 I have yet to try!)?
I'm sorry, I don't. I didn't partake myself - they have a lot of great draughts to choose from now too!

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

just found out that a friend of mine got some some Westy12

"one of those $78 six packs with two glasses super monk beer
you know the one with the w name to save the abby"

nice.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

kafercrazy wrote:just found out that a friend of mine got some some Westy12

"one of those $78 six packs with two glasses super monk beer
you know the one with the w name to save the abby"

nice.
Great! You're friends lucky but it's people like that where I'm scratching my head to figure out why they'd pay $78 for 6 beers.

Even better, my wife told me that one lady who lined up behind her said she was there to buy the beer "to help save that little girl Abbey." I kid you not.

*facepalm*
^^^Hop-head ^^^

StrongKnock

Post by StrongKnock »

dwt wrote:Guelph report - Got the Stone Rd LCBO at 6:10 am this morning. Was #13 in line, first one there at 3am. They rec'd 36, no breakage. line was full by about 7:30, about 20 extra people stuck around until 9:45 when the numbers were handed out, despite being told on numerous occasions by LCBO staffers that there were indeed only 36.
actually I got there at 3:30 :-) left at 3:00.

Guelph LCBO went pretty smooth..very friendly people in line. 2nd person came at 4:00, 3rd around 5:00 if I remember correctly. By 7:45 all 36 gift packs were taken by those already in line. Some people got there to late and left pretty disappointed..some actually stayed in line holding on to hope, I felt bad for them. One guy thought he could slip into the front of the line but eventually left when he saw there was no way he would get a ticket for it. They took 6 people at a time inside and had the gift packs right at the register to buy..nice and quick..oh and no gift packs came broken. Congrats! to those that got it.