Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Good beer in Kingston?

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

StephenRich

Good beer in Kingston?

Post by StephenRich »

Can anyone suggest a pub or restaurant in Kingston that has a half decent selection of Craft Beers?

Most appreciated!

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

Haven't been yet – but it's downtown and looks good:

http://www.redhousekingston.com/

StephenRich

Post by StephenRich »

cmadd wrote:Haven't been yet – but it's downtown and looks good:

Thanks! That does look pretty solid

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Red House is good... if you're up further on Princess Street you could pop into The Alibi, decent selection of craft there. Not much in Kingston... but slowly getting better.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Alibi/153351591402036

EDIT: pretty sure there isn't food at The Alibi...
Last edited by JesseMcG on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StephenRich

Post by StephenRich »

JesseMcG wrote:

Red House is good... if you're up further on Princess Street you could pop into The Alibi, decent selection of craft there. Not much in Kingston... but slowly getting better.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Alibi/153351591402036
Definitely looks like a few good ones at each, enough to enjoy at least. Plus a nice seasonal... Thanks!

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

Can definitely attest to Kingston's slow improvement- It's already leagues better than 4 years ago.

As for bars, Red Door and Alibi are both good, Red Door has excellent food as well. I have a personal gripe with one of the bartenders though as we had a disagreement over the Nickelbrook Berliner Weisse being off... Regardless, worth a visit.

The Brewpub is always worth a visit, their own beers aren't exceptional however they generally have a decent selection of other OCB offerings. Friendly staff and decent pub fare as well.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

1. Red House, 369 King
2. The Alibi, 293 Princess
3. Sir John A's House, also on King

Three relatively new places, and now the three best in town, in my estimation. Also maybe worth a try, the old standbys Kingston Brewing Company and The Iron Duke. Everything is in the downtown core.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

we had a disagreement over the Nickelbrook Berliner Weisse being off...
You realize it is supposed to be sour, right?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yes, that Bartender was right if the Berliner was very dry and sour just as it should be. (No sweet banana esters and clove phenolics in that beer.) It's an odd winter beer, but anything goes.

I'm around Kingston this weekend and at other times over the next few weeks so I'll do some research (when not busy with family.) Cheers!
In Beerum Veritas

StephenRich

Post by StephenRich »

Thanks all! I'll have some time, so I'll probably get around and check a few out.

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

midlife crisis wrote:
we had a disagreement over the Nickelbrook Berliner Weisse being off...
You realize it is supposed to be sour, right?
I should hope so, however I found to taste extremely metallic which is why I assumed the beer was off. Although I suppose if it was supposed to have that flavour then my sincerest apologies.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lines cleaned with caustic acid can leave a faint metallic taste. You can request that your lines be cleaned with a chemical-free method, or just pour a few pints off and the taste should return to normal
If the bartender did not assess the beer himself or try to get you a better pint by running the line, I might side with you he is wrong for his lack of due diligence. I wasn't there of course.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

midlife crisis wrote:1. Red House, 369 King
Nice spot, they have the right idea with a solid 5-6 tap lineup plus three rotating 'feature' taps (Bolshevik, Winter Beard.)

The guys know their beer - they have a correct 'taste' for IPAs and they'd like to install a nano scale house brew setup similar to Bar Volo.

I like the feel of the place and will eat there sometime (I find myself getting drawn in by the great euro deli food at nearby Golden Rooster.)
In Beerum Veritas

hush

Post by hush »

Rats, I was just in Kingston and I am sorry I missed the Red House. The Mrs and I pub crawled through most of the downtown pubs and were disappointed with the lack of craft offerings. We very much liked Sir John A and The Iron Duke but their beer selections were lacking. The Brewery was good in a busy, kitschy sort of way but sadly they don't brew any of their own beers in house (or in Kingston for that matter)