Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

vandutchy

Post by vandutchy »

It would be great to see this beer in Ontario but I am hesitant to believe it considering they can't keep up with the demand down south. Also like many of you I would be concerned that by the time it gets into our hands it would not be fresh...much like GreenFlash and Yellow Snow IPA. The YS IPA was bottled in June/July and if you look at the bottle you see all the sediment in the bottom....what a sad thing to do to such a good beer. It deserves better than this!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

must be a few different batches of yellow snow going around?

Saw this in another thread regarding yellow snow freshness:

groulxsome wrote:
The ones I have all say J1512 in the lower left corner of the bottle's label. Not sure if that's the date code or not!

Yeah, which as far as I know means September 15th of this year. So a little over 5 weeks old.
vandutchy wrote:It would be great to see this beer in Ontario but I am hesitant to believe it considering they can't keep up with the demand down south. Also like many of you I would be concerned that by the time it gets into our hands it would not be fresh...much like GreenFlash and Yellow Snow IPA. The YS IPA was bottled in June/July and if you look at the bottle you see all the sediment in the bottom....what a sad thing to do to such a good beer. It deserves better than this!

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

5 weeks?---Sept 15 is more like 12 weeks ago by my calendar...

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

I thought J = October...but yes, the recent 6pk of YS I bought said J1512 and tasted fantastic.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

sorry, this part was copy/pasted from the older post.. the math was accurate at the time
schomberger wrote:5 weeks?---Sept 15 is more like 12 weeks ago by my calendar...

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

Did a new (fresher) shipment of Green Flash ever come in? I decided to wait but have not heard anything about it.
Ren

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

jrenihan wrote:Did a new (fresher) shipment of Green Flash ever come in? I decided to wait but have not heard anything about it.
Ren
I'm glad it wasn't just me who noticed it wasn't up to par. I went to the Burger Bar release party and was surprised it tasted so different...

I've previously purchased in the USA and had it out in Vancouver and it was one of the most satisfying IPAs I've ever had. How old was it when it hit Ontario shelves?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

How does it take so long to get beer on the shelves? Does 'BO insist on whole order then begin their testing? Wouldn't it make sense for them just to pick one up from one of thousands of stores in the USA then make the order from the brewery when they are ready to put it on shelves?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

NAC said a new shipment of GF won't come 'until the new year'
jrenihan wrote:Did a new (fresher) shipment of Green Flash ever come in? I decided to wait but have not heard anything about it.
Ren

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Kekumba wrote:I thought J = October...but yes, the recent 6pk of YS I bought said J1512 and tasted fantastic.
Brewers often skip "I" in the date code, so you're right I believe.

Central City Red Racer IPA uses an "I" for September, and those are still drinking lovely.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Kekumba wrote: I thought J = October...but yes, the recent 6pk of YS I bought said J1512 and tasted fantastic.
Belgian wrote: Brewers often skip "I" in the date code, so you're right I believe.
Didn't know about the "skipping I" thing, though that would explain why this is still drinking lovely. There's a little bit of sediment and it does affect the flavour - gives it more of a "waxy" taste, I find - but if you leave it in the bottle the bright lemon and grapefruit notes shine through. I think this batch will drink well until at least mid-January, especially if it was brewed in October.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

They usually skip letter "I" so that it cannot be confused with number "1", which anyone might mistake for January (= Stale Pale Ale.)
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

If you don't mind paying more for packaging...

http://www.beaus.ca/news/dec-18-12/uniq ... beer-store

...actually the crates are nice and could come in handy! Expensive though!!! Almost as much as the Westy!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

heard from nicklebrook today that the barrel aged cuvee will be in lcbo's soon.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

phat matt wrote:heard from nicklebrook today that the barrel aged cuvee will be in lcbo's soon.
They had a shelf full of it at Summerhill today. I tried to buy one but it wouldn't ring up. After much running around, the clerk informed me that it wasn't for sale yet and that it was being removed from the shelf as she spoke.