Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Beer Store pilot design in Liberty Village

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

It seems to me that there's some opportunity here if it's played the right way, public relations wise.

This will bear thinking about.
saintjohnswort.ca

walkfargetbeer

Post by walkfargetbeer »

This about right? Oooo soo unique and different.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

And don't forget the section they will have for great stuff like Chimay and Orval cheeses, really great crackers, etc. This new BS will have a Whole Foods kind of experience to it. It will be about the total enjoyment of beer as a flavorful stimulating drink, not just shitty fizzy barley water. from the factory spigot packaged in 12 different ways.
In Beerum Veritas

aser

Post by aser »

Other than visual appeal, how will this be any different than a regular beer store? The same listing fees are in place no?

"Wolf in sheep's clothing"

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Guys it is my understanding that the concept is more to get the "female shopper" to come in. A more welcoming interior compared to the old conventional Beer Stores for sure. As much as we would all like to see it, I don't think there will be any more of a craft beer selection than at the current Beer Stores. Speaking of which, alot of the self serve concept Beer Stores, at least the 3 I have been to in my area, have a decent selection of singles and import/craft.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Some info on Troy's blog:
http://greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com/2 ... -beer.html

I still wonder what the listing fees will be. If they won't be collecting empties, maybe it'll be a completely different system?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lecocq wrote:Guys it is my understanding that the concept is more to get the "female shopper" to come in.
A notion both condescending and really funny.

Ironically I see it is often women who stop to admire, discuss and buy unusual and great craft beers from LCBO seasonal releases. Best not to underestimate our ladies. So then - what new thing of substance is this Beer Store really going to offer women, besides perhaps a bottle-return area that doesn't smell like a rancid dumpster? Hey - that's good idea if they want to appeal/condescend to women's finer sensibilities: "Wash the sticky smelly bottle-gathering bins already, ya TBS slobs."
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Derek wrote:If they won't be collecting empties, maybe it'll be a completely different system?
Crap! Won't be going there then. It would have been easier to return empties there more often that not compared to the Queen's Quay location. :x *grumble*
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote:
Derek wrote:If they won't be collecting empties, maybe it'll be a completely different system?
Crap! Won't be going there then.
Oh missed that. Well great then! The bottle-return thing will still be a solely male experience of crashing noise, sticky plastic bins, and bad smells. I have NEVER seen women in those line ups.
In Beerum Veritas

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Belgian wrote:
Lecocq wrote:Guys it is my understanding that the concept is more to get the "female shopper" to come in.
A notion both condescending and really funny.
Ironically I see it is often women who stop to admire, discuss and buy unusual and great craft beers from LCBO seasonal releases. Best not to underestimate our ladies. So then - what new thing of substance is this Beer Store really going to offer women, besides perhaps a bottle-return area that doesn't smell like a rancid dumpster? Hey - that's good idea if they want to appeal/condescend to women's finer sensibilities: "Wash the sticky smelly bottle-gathering bins already, ya TBS slobs."
Not sure I'm understanding how this comment was underestimating the female shoppers?? You say that it is women who are buying alot in the LCBO, which is true. The majority of shoppers in The Beer Store would be male. This new Beer Store concept is more modern and comparable to an LCBO store, which should be more inviting to attract the female shopper. Everyone likes to complain about the state of the current Beer Stores yet are quick to dismiss any changes before they even happen. I'm not saying this will be the "be all end all" improvement everyone wants, but at least give it a chance.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:Oh missed that. Well great then! The bottle-return thing will still be a solely male experience of crashing noise, sticky plastic bins, and bad smells. I have NEVER seen women in those line ups.
I can say that I have seen a woman in the beer return lineup: my girlfriend. :P

Other than that I've seen perhaps a handful of other women waiting to return empties over the years. This might be conclusive proof who the smarter gender is... :P
lister

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

On a side note in Liberty Village. The LCBO there has upped their game, I'm assuming in anticipation of the incoming competition (LCBO...competition? who knew). They've expanded the store into the neighbouring cell phone store and increased the fridge size to about 1/4 of the back of the store.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

So I was walking through Liberty Village the other day, and noticed something interesting - the signage on The Beer Boutique has been changed.

It used to be the logo that appears in the image near the beginning of this thread, with "The Beer Boutique" in large letters, and "The Beer Store" barely visible below. It also used a font and colour scheme quite different from the usual TBS signage.

Now, the signs say "The Beer Store" with "Boutique" much smaller below, and the typeface and design now matching the regular TBS branding.

A curious development, given how hard they tried to differentiate this store, and the other Boutiques that have followed, from the main chain. Can't help but wonder what led to the change. I didn't go in to see if it extended to any changes in the store itself, but I'll do that next time I'm down there.

Anyone know if they've done something similar with the Distillery location?

TJ

Post by TJ »

GregClow wrote:Anyone know if they've done something similar with the Distillery location?
They have. I noticed that about two weeks back, that it's The Beer Store Boutique. It appeared to be unchanged on the inside from the one time I checked it out.

Looks to be the same on their web page.

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/happenings/b ... e-boutique

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

GregClow wrote:So I was walking through Liberty Village the other day, and noticed something interesting - the signage on The Beer Boutique has been changed.

It used to be the logo that appears in the image near the beginning of this thread, with "The Beer Boutique" in large letters, and "The Beer Store" barely visible below. It also used a font and colour scheme quite different from the usual TBS signage.

Now, the signs say "The Beer Store" with "Boutique" much smaller below, and the typeface and design now matching the regular TBS branding.

A curious development, given how hard they tried to differentiate this store, and the other Boutiques that have followed, from the main chain. Can't help but wonder what led to the change. I didn't go in to see if it extended to any changes in the store itself, but I'll do that next time I'm down there.

Anyone know if they've done something similar with the Distillery location?
I had heard that one of the key guys in the development of the BB is no longer with TBS. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, would be pure speculation.