Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Great Lakes Audrey Hopburn.

I've only been by the brewery twice now. I had no idea they were releasing a different "Project X" beer each month!

They've also got a Belgian Strong Dark Ale in the fridge right now.

This is something I've been waiting for as far as I know there hasn't been an OCB Belgian Quad.

Also picked up some Carma Citra, or Burte's Reserve Stash as they seem to have renamed it.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Screamin' Beaver.

Another underwhelming beer from Beau's...

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

boney wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:Man, lots of great beers on this list recently.
I'm finishing off the last few beers I got in Peru and Ecuador, including 'Apu Coca Beer' ... brewed with coca leaves. Supposed to be, umm, 'energetic'.
Just curious if you found any local beer that was remotely "crafty" when you were in Peru. I was there for a couple weeks last summer and could only find Cusquena and Cristal.

Also, did you get to try chicha? If so, what did you think?
Hey Boney!
I did try chicha a couple of times. Regular corn style and a variety infused with strawberries. I actually quite enjoyed both...didn't drink a lot, and to be honest...was feeling it pretty good afterwards!

I did find some craft beer in Peru...as well as Ecuador. I believe I sampled 13-14 different beers in Peru, including a decent stout, some American Pale Ales and brown ales.

In Cusco there are some bars producing their own micro-brews now. Norton Rats tavern and Dragon's Palate are two of them. Cusquena is also producing more speciality brews now like wheat beers, which are decent.

I'll be putting a summary of Peru beers on my website soon....you cancheck the ones I had on my Untappd listing at:
https://untappd.com/user/RedHuntTravel

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Screamin' Beaver.

Awww, man....I just picked up their holiday pack and had high hopes for this one...

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Screamin' Beaver.

Yea, I actually think the hop profile on Beaver River is pretty unique – not just 'American' – and I was looking forward to an amped up version. Wasn't that impressed.

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

This years Thor's Hammer from Central City. Very traditional and well crafted barleywine. It's a bit hot – shocking since it's been in bottles for a year – and with a slight astringent aftertaste, but very enjoyable now and I can only imagine with another year it'll be fantastic.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

I like Screaming Beaver. Not as a DIPA of course, but for what it is, enjoyable.

Twice As Mad Tom
Brooklym Black Chocolate
Propellor RIS

Slowly getting caught up on the LCBO winter release as it makes its way to Ottawa.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Kekumba wrote:I like Screaming Beaver. Not as a DIPA of course, but for what it is, enjoyable.

But it is a DIPA. At least that is what it is supposed to be...

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

You're looking too much into it. I still enjoyed it, despite completely failing to be a DIPA. Is that okay? :lol:

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

There is good beer, and bad beer.

that is all.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

markaberrant wrote:There is good beer, and bad beer.

that is all.
And since no one can agree on exactly what falls into either of those categories, we have newspaper columns.
saintjohnswort.ca

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

beau's sleepy time stout - great beer. belgian yeast and stout were well balanced. great beer.

Sierra Nevada Narwhal Imperial Stout - great beer, and suprisingly hoppy. Reminds me of tempest.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Speaking of beers not tasting like they should. I'm working through a growler of Big Rig Black IPA. I like it, but I'm not completely convinced they didn't accidentally fill it with the stout. Heh.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Kekumba wrote:Speaking of beers not tasting like they should. I'm working through a growler of Big Rig Black IPA. I like it, but I'm not completely convinced they didn't accidentally fill it with the stout. Heh.
That's an unfortunate mishap. There's nothing worse than craving hops and not having hops around ... especially when you thought you were getting hops...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

FFF Alpha Klaus. Delicious.