Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hill Farmstead

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zombi69

Hill Farmstead

Post by zombi69 »

I keep hearing how good their brew is, anyone try their brews?

Is it only sold at their brewery in Vermont or elsewhere?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Yes, they are that good. In my opinion they are masters of the hop. If you can try an APA, IPA, DIPA from them you won't be disappointed. I have probably tried 9 or 10 of their beers and have been very impressed with almost everything I have had.

Generally, you can only get their stuff at the brewery where they do growler fills and some limited bottle releases.

Some of their stuff occasionally gets to a few of the beer bottle shops in the area, but those tend to be the staples that are regularly bottled such as Everett (Porter) and Vera Mae (Saison).

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'm going to Vermont tomorrow so I'll let you know how it tastes in their home state :-)

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I have had 9 beers from them and rated them all 3.8 or higher. They are pretty awesome.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

For me, I think they are a brewery that actually lives up to the hype that surrounds them.

I was there on a saturday in late november and had to wait 2.5 hours to get beer. They mostly do growler fills, so you have to wait wile they fill them up. People were leaving with boxes of growlers at a time, it was crazy. They have a 8L limit for growler fills, and i think most people were getting their limit. Juicy was also on sale at the time so that may have added to the crowd.

The Farmhouse Tap & Grill in Burlington had 3 of there beers on tap and some bottles when I was there.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

I also agree that Hill Farmstead is an incredible brewery. I have only had three of their beers (an APA, porter and black IPA) and all three were excellent. WIll have to make a trip to the brewery one day.
Ren

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

Shame that its roughly 9 hour drive from here. Judging by the comments though, it's worth the trip! Anyone taking orders ; )

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

Cass wrote:I'm going to Vermont tomorrow so I'll let you know how it tastes in their home state :-)
Pre-flood there were several Hill taps to be found in Waterbury but I'm not sure what's left. It's about an hour drive up to his farm. Having said all that I'm sure you already know, so kindly ignore this post. Thanks!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Lackey wrote:
Cass wrote:I'm going to Vermont tomorrow so I'll let you know how it tastes in their home state :-)
Pre-flood there were several Hill taps to be found in Waterbury but I'm not sure what's left. It's about an hour drive up to his farm. Having said all that I'm sure you already know, so kindly ignore this post. Thanks!
From Prohibition Pig in Waterbury... :-)
(Updated 12/29/12)
Schlitz 60s Formula (WI)
Stiegl Goldbrau (Austria)
Hill Farmstead Foster (VT)
Allagash White (ME)
Hill Farmstead Holger Danske (VT)
Bobcat Cafe Kolsch (VT)
Gigantic IPA (OR)
Grassroots Autumn Saison (VT)
Upright Saison Rahsaan (OR)
Lagunitas Daytime (CA)
Hill Farmstead Abner (VT)
Hill Farmstead Edward (VT)
Hopworks IPX (OR)
Lawson’s Finest Fayston Maple Imperial Stout (VT)
Alchemist Heady Topper (VT)
Hill Farmstead Twilight Of The Idols (VT)
Cigar City Marshal Zhukov’s Imperial Stout (FL)
Jolly Pumpkin Noel de Calabaza (MI)
Lawson’s Finest Paradise Pale Ale (VT)
Smuttynose Old Brown Dog (NH)
Laurelwood Vinter Varmer (OR)
St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (Quebec)
Tilquin Gueuze (Belgium)
Rookies Root Beer (VT)

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I have had a few of there beers and thought they were all pretty good. Try them if you have the chance. With that being said you arnt missing anything really. I have had bottles and growlers from local brewers that were just as tasty as the beers from there. A few project X releases come to mind among a few others.

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

phat matt wrote:I have had a few of there beers and thought they were all pretty good. Try them if you have the chance. With that being said you arnt missing anything really. I have had bottles and growlers from local brewers that were just as tasty as the beers from there. A few project X releases come to mind among a few others.
Yes! I'm looking forward to trying some of Bellwood's offerings!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Middle of effin' nowhere. You have to brew good beer to keep your sanity.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

zombi69 wrote:I keep hearing how good their brew is, anyone try their brews?

Is it only sold at their brewery in Vermont or elsewhere?
The double galaxy double IPA is unreal how good it is. When I was there a few years ago I brought home a 750 of that and it was awesome. The Earl Oatmeal Stout was really great too.

JoeMcPhee

Post by JoeMcPhee »

They're the real deal - they're available at events in NYC from time to time and the stuff they make is incredible. Their barrel-aging program is turning out some top-notch material and they know their way around the hop as well. You won't be disappointed.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I've seen taps at The Farmhouse in Burlington as well as at Three Penney in Montpellier. Can't recall ever seeing bottles around. Everything I've had from them has been top notch.

@Cass... man oh man that's a nice list!!