Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Seigneuriale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Wheatsheaf

Seigneuriale

Post by Wheatsheaf »

The story of the Seigneuriale brewery is fairly well known: one of Quebec's best microbreweries of the 1990's, it was bought by Sleeman in 1998, continued to operate normally for a time, but was eventually left to fade away. Following Sleeman's purchase of Unibroue, keen-eyed observers noted the curious statement that suddenly appeared on Sleeman's website: namely, that among the beers brewed at Unibroue's Chambly brewery were the Seigneuriale beers. Then came word that Sleeman was indeed planning to resurrect the brand, followed by a report earlier this year that the first batch of the new Seigneuriale had in fact been brewed. It's been available for a month or two now; yesterday, I tried a bottle.

It is brewed to the same recipe as the original version, although Unibroue's distinctive yeast is now used. Orange-amber colour, a little hazy, with a fine effervescence. Dense, lasting head. Like the original, the new Seigneuriale is dry-hopped, but not obviously so--for me, at least. The Unibroue yeast is prominent in both the aroma and flavour. Orange and banana, moderately spiced, hints of fresh hops that come and go. Fairly soft and creamy texture, with a moderately dry finish. It's a Unibroue beer, clearly, but modestly different than anything else in the range. The original version was available at the LCBO some years ago, so I've had both the old and new, but I can't make any comparisons between them. Whether or not this will ever make it to Ontario is anyone's guess, but it's worth seeking out.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Excellent! I enjoyed that beer greatly.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Nice, let's hope it comes to Ontario. When Sleeman purchased Seigneuriale way back when I often emailed them asking about it and was always told they had no plans for Ontario distribution.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

If you are in Ottawa, you can duck over to La Trappe a Fromage in Gatineau to pick this up. Take the Mahoney exit from the 50 and turn left on to Belhumeur. It is just on the left at #200.

Manul

Post by Manul »

If you are in Ottawa, you can duck over to La Trappe a Fromage in Gatineau to pick this up
This is a great little store in Gatineau. If you are around drop by. Their cheese selection is unbelivable (they even carry Chimay). As for beer they have all the Unibroue products and lots of other Quebec micros

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a 750mL bottle of the new Seigneuriale.

It is definitely a Unibroue product now - the label style is consistent with their other brands and it is clearly marked as Unibroue.

Anyway, I immensely enjoyed it as I expected I would. Defnitely recommended.