Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

First Kegerator Purchase..

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

First Kegerator Purchase..

Post by TheBeeraholic »

I've decided it's time to pick up a kegerator. I've been browsing around for a few weeks now and have found limited selection in Ontario. I don't really want to drive south of the border to pick one up.

Budget is around $600-$700.

Anyone on the forum have either of the two below? Would you recommend one over the other? Price was they are both similar at regular price. Both appear to be the same size. If not is there another you'd recommend a the same price point?

Second question is does anyone know where in Durham you can get C02 filled and how much does it cost to fill a 5/10L tank?

I'm primarily going to use this for 30L kegs from various Ontario Crafts. Already planning on picking up a 30L of RPA once they keg agian.

Any help would be appreaciated. I have no technical knowledge on the mechanics. Brand names, which lines/regulartors are better.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Kegerato ... s_s/75.htm

http://www.compactappliance.com/Nostalg ... lt,pd.html

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Make your own for a fraction of the cost!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

I have no experience with either of those particular kegerators, but OBK is great. always good prices, very helpful, great customer service.

however, my first question would be whether you consider yourself handy. If so, building your own kegerator is fairly easy and less expensive. you can get all the parts you'd need from OBK (including a line cleaning kit, wrench, and upgrade to perlick tap) for under $340 (plus free shipping!): http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Stainles ... %20kit.htm (plus they have other options if you want it to serve both commercial + corny kegs for homebrew)

and this fridge from CT regularly goes on sale for the $150-170 range (Product #43-1813-8 if link doesn't work): http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8 ... ?locale=en

converting the fridge is pretty easy if you've got some basic tools and a scrap piece of plywood to reinforce the top.

so you'd get a better setup for about the same cost, or you can stick to the simpler one in the links you provide for under $500.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

I do consider myself to be a handy guy, but for most tasks I like a bit of guidance for the first time around.
I've read a few "How To's" and you're right it does appear to be fairly simple. I'm just concerned with causing irreversible damage not being experienced with how the actual kegerator works to begin with.
I don’t have access to YouTube at work, but when I search for How To's a lot of videos come up.
I guess I'll check them out before making a decision. But I agree build your own if done correctly could be a better unit.
At the same time I also like the simplicity of just paying the $600 and plugging in and pour

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I have thought about this as well, but I don't see any scenario where I can get through the kegs before the beer goes bad, unless I completely stop drinking bottled beer and/or I start entertaining at my house every Friday and Satyrday night.

Even with a good system, I think the kegs tend to last no more than 2-3 months, correct?

beeton

Post by beeton »

30 litre keg = 60 pints.
How long would it take you to drink 60 pints?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Even with a good system, I think the kegs tend to last no more than 2-3 months, correct?
A hoppy pale ale/IPA may lose a bit of aroma in that time, but that would be about it, and would likely still taste fresher than any bottled product.

Most session ales will easily hold up for 6 months, and upwards of 12 months with no ill effects.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

markaberrant wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Even with a good system, I think the kegs tend to last no more than 2-3 months, correct?
A hoppy pale ale/IPA may lose a bit of aroma in that time, but that would be about it, and would likely still taste fresher than any bottled product.

Most session ales will easily hold up for 6 months, and upwards of 12 months with no ill effects.
I don't think I'd have any problem going through a 30L in 2-3 months. I typically have minimum a beer or two on a nighly basis. Then on the weekends who knows. I've been tending to have people over a lot more not Friday/Saturdays as with a 3 month old I don't get to go out much any more.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

yeah, if kept cold, away from light, and under co2, kegs last fine. some of the ones in my kegerator have been in there a year and are still mighty tasty.

1/6bbl is only 40 pints, 1/4 is 60... if anyone is helping with the drinking you'll have no trouble killing most things before they go "bad" - plus fill your own growlers when going out!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

@grub & @markabberant: thanks for the info.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

grub wrote: plus fill your own growlers when going out!
Didn't even think about that. Great idea. And thanks for the info. My fiancee's father owns a pub in my area. I might have a line on something through him. Thanks for all the info today. I plan on having something up and running by middle of February I'll post some pics at that time. Cheers.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: Even with a good system, I think the kegs tend to last no more than 2-3 months, correct?
Maybe there's something wrong with me but I keep 4 - 20L kegs of homebrew on tap and each never lasts more than 3 months. Brewed a great Wit last summer that was gone in 3 weeks!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Baulz wrote:Maybe there's something wrong with me but I keep 4 - 20L kegs of homebrew on tap and each never lasts more than 3 months. Brewed a great Wit last summer that was gone in 3 weeks!
I have 7 kegs and 4 taps. I rotate my session ales/hoppy beers through in 3-6 months. But if there is a party or something, then hell ya, they can go fast.

It's a great problem to have.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

even the DIY cost of a kegerator scares me.
that, and having beer. on tap. in my house.

do you guys ever use your kegerator as fermentation chambers to control the temp (conditioning/lagering/etc?)

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

I had a small kegorator that barely fit 2 corny kegs and a co2 tank inside. While it was great, I ended up selling it and re-purposing our older side by side full size fridge.

In the full size, I mount the taps on the door of the fridge, and can fit about 6 corny kegs inside if I keep the gas tank outside. Planning to have 4 regular taps, and 1 nitro tap running.

Plus you get the freezer section to store hops, or overflow from the kitchen freezer.