Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Adirondack Beaver Tail Brown Ale.

Perhaps I should make the same clarification as Phirleh that this was to drink.

:)

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

Yesterday:
Bellwoods - Monogamy Nelson Sauvin
Bellwoods - Roman Candle
Hair of The Dog - Michael
Cascade - Sang Noir
Cantillion - Iris (2007)
Terrapin - Wake and Bake
Bruery - Tart of Darkness
Three Floyds - Dreadnaught

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Yesterday at World Of Beer Easton, Barley's Brewing Company, and Bodega:
Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale (draught) - easily one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had; oily, citric and aromatic as fuck with big passion fruit flavours and piney-weedy afters. Gave me hop burps.
Barley's Christmas Ale (draught) - good natural-tasting Winter Warmer, very English in character, which I found surprising given that it's supposed to be a spiced North American take on the style.
Barley's Rye IPA (cask) - great WC hop flavour but the mouthfeel was lacking.
Victory Prima Pils (draught) - an old favourite that I can't resist when available on tap. Drinking bright and fresh as ever last night.
Six Point Sweet Action (can) - delivers everything the label promises as it drinks like a slightly hoppy pale wheat with the low bitterness and balance of a cream ale. This would be my standby sessioner if it was available locally.
Green Flash Palate Wrecker (draught) - what can I say? It's an excellent and bitingly bitter DIPA but not quite in the top tier of the style. Still a killer night cap though, and this time I was smart enough to save the palate wrecking for the end of the night. :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I wanted to make a Belgian-style stout, basically a stout profile, strongish but not Imperial with a Belgian accent. This means a stout with a slight taste of the typical yeasty/raisiny/oaky smack of Belgian ale - i.e. not too much of it.

I combined (this over some days, tasting as I went) Witches Brew, Fuller's London Porter, Wellington Imperial Stout, Gubna, Lava, Budweiser and domestic Guinness Extra Stout.

Result is a tasty stout with a slight Belgian taste and good hop character. When I get these "right" (i.e. for me) I can drink them easily but the constituents, not so much except for Wellington's Imperial Stout and Fuller's Porter. The others are good beers but either have too much, or not enough, of what I like.

Gary
Gary Gillman

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Ommegang 3 Philosophers (bottled Jul 2011, so 18 months old) - this is the 3 Philosophers I know and love! It really needs 18-24 months of aging to come into its own. I disliked it fresh on tap a few months ago, as well as any of the relatively fresh bottles that others have shared with me. Been awhile since I have tasted a properly aged one, so glad to know it is still as good as I recall.

Soods

Post by Soods »

Shacklands Pale Ale by Junction Craft Brewing. Best of all the beers I've tried from them....by far.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Soods wrote:Shacklands Pale Ale by Junction Craft Brewing. Best of all the beers I've tried from them....by far.
You mean Shacklands Pale Ale by Shacklands? Junction kinda acts like an incubator/brewing facility for Shacklands from my understanding. I don't know how much input Doug has on Jason's brewing (my guess is not much).

Either way, I have a growler of it sitting in the fridge that I'm very excited to try!

Soods

Post by Soods »

Ok....stand corrected. :oops:

Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Creemore Urbock. The hops seem a bit different... more floral, less steelie. Perhaps there a bit of Hallertau in here (I think it's been strictly Saaz for the last decade).

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I had this tonight too.. didn't enjoy it much as I did last year
Derek wrote:Creemore Urbock. The hops seem a bit different... more floral, less steelie. Perhaps there a bit of Hallertau in here (I think it's been strictly Saaz for the last decade).

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

groulxsome wrote:You mean Shacklands Pale Ale by Shacklands? Junction kinda acts like an incubator/brewing facility for Shacklands from my understanding. I don't know how much input Doug has on Jason's brewing (my guess is not much).
That pretty much sums it up. Plus Doug and Tom are great to work with.
Either way, I have a growler of it sitting in the fridge that I'm very excited to try!
Nice!

I finished mine last night while watching the game -- I like growlers, but I can't wait to have some bottles.

Jason

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

@ the Ship w/ Electroluminescent & Boney

GLB Pompous Ass
Sawdust City Skinny Dipping w/ Friends
NB Old Kentucky Bastard

Very good lineup of taps last night compared to how things have been lately (Judge has completely given up). That Skinny Dipping stout is straight-up Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Freaking Founders Centennial. Love. It.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Yesterday at Shadowbox Live, Schmidt's Sausage Haus, and Surly Girl Saloon:
Elevator Bleeding Buckeye Red Ale (bottle)
Reissdorf Kölsch (bottle)
Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse (bottle)
Rogue Fifteen Thousand Brew Ale (draught)
Hoof Hearted Musk of the Minotaur IPA (draught)
Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout (draught)

Right now:
Sixpoint Bengali Tiger IPA
Cale wrote:@ the Ship w/ Electroluminescent & Boney:
GLB Pompous Ass
NB Old Kentucky Bastard

Very good lineup of taps last night...
I'd say so! Had to double check whether you listed Volo or The Ship. :o
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Streets

Post by Streets »

Cale wrote:@ the Ship w/ Electroluminescent & Boney

GLB Pompous Ass
NB Old Kentucky Bastard

Very good lineup of taps last night compared to how things have been lately (Judge has completely given up). That Skinny Dipping stout is straight-up Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
Damn, looks like I really missed out on Sunday night!

And nice to see a current tap list posted on their website!

Last edited by Streets on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.