Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

5 Paddles Brewing Co.

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TJ

5 Paddles Brewing Co.

Post by TJ »

As someone who grew up in Whitby and lived there most of his life until fairly recently, I have to say, I never thought the day would come when a brewery would open up there (Gordon Biersch notwithstanding--anyone remember that?) and yet I just found out this week that 5 Paddles Brewing Co. is opening soon:

http://5paddlesbrewing.com/

Cool. Fingers crossed they come up with some interesting stuff.

With apologies if this has already been mentioned here. I'm not on here as much as I'd like ti be so I'm a little out of touch these days.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Good news. I definitely remember Gordon Biersch fondly. Many nice pints there while family attended this or that Pixar movie.

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

good news indeed. hopefully they make some quality brews. Would be great to have something good out this way. I dont mind driving to the west end every now and then if there is something good at GLB, Bellwoods or Black Oak, but to have something a little closer would be nice.

BTW, when did the Gordon Biersch close? this must've been when I was still a loyal labatt blue drinker. Dont remember it at all. where was it located?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

In that plaza right on the north side of the 401 at Thickson Rd. Didn't last terribly long and closed more than a few years ago now. Don't recall when exactly but around 2006 perhaps?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I remember Gordon Biersch. I wonder if it would do better with the surge of craft beers nowadays.

Everything's on Bar Towel if you look hard enough :-)

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1432

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1163

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=314

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

midlife crisis wrote:In that plaza right on the north side of the 401 at Thickson Rd. Didn't last terribly long and closed more than a few years ago now. Don't recall when exactly but around 2006 perhaps?
Where the Moviola Cafe was? (Or is that too old a reference?)
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

TJ

Post by TJ »

The_Jester wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:In that plaza right on the north side of the 401 at Thickson Rd. Didn't last terribly long and closed more than a few years ago now. Don't recall when exactly but around 2006 perhaps?
Where the Moviola Cafe was? (Or is that too old a reference?)
Oh wow. WAY old.

The Moviola has been a few things since it closed its doors, but it seems to have had its longest and current run as a Hooters.

The building that was built to be Gordon Biersch is now a Jack Astor's. The brewery part of it was on the east side where the bar is now.

Anyway, really, I'm more interested in the future than the past and I wish the 5 Paddles guys the best of luck in Whitby because it's not exactly a hotbed of gastronomy. Hopefully they can shake things up a little.