Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

would anyone be able to suggest a good way to try homebrewing (good kits, etc..)? I started a separate thread in this section of the forum:

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic ... 243#116243

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

markaberrant wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
matt7215 wrote:i brewed a porter a few week back and today i racked half the batch onto beats that i roasted and pureed ( jsprimes suggestion) and spiked the other half with some bret B
i can sort of see that working, but i can see it not working. very earthy tasting, possibly, and there will be a lot of sweetness. let us know how it works.
What would be sweet about it?
i know that beets are just a sugar source (that's what our table sugar's from), but...maybe it's just a fear/wincing that i have when i think of racking beer onto beets :)

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

atomeyes wrote:
markaberrant wrote:
atomeyes wrote: i can sort of see that working, but i can see it not working. very earthy tasting, possibly, and there will be a lot of sweetness. let us know how it works.
What would be sweet about it?
i know that beets are just a sugar source (that's what our table sugar's from), but...maybe it's just a fear/wincing that i have when i think of racking beer onto beets :)
Sugar Beets are nothing like the Beets we eat. I would be surprised if he used those.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

I just made a clone of dogfish head India brown ale and a bitter, mild, porter i don't know what it is brew.
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

MetalHead wrote:I just made a clone of dogfish head India brown ale and a bitter, mild, porter i don't know what it is brew.
ya man, i don't know what it is brew, totally

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Just whipped up a batch of Apfelwein for my wife:

20L apple juice
Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast

Putting together a recipe for an MO/Columbus SMaSH, will brew next weekend.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Last weekend I brewed up a little riff on a Founder's Porter clone. My first real all grain on my own equipment (I've brewed all grain with other folks on their equipment). Brew report here if you're interested! I'm excited.

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

Damn cold out so I am lagering a sorachi pils and oktoberfest in the attic.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

brewed a dopple bock a few months ago. came out at 1090 and finished at 1020. Malt bill was floor malted pilsner, munich, munich 2, carahell, and a touch of carafa for color. decided to eis a gallon of it. ended up with 700ml of water left after freezing and racking.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Bottling up a pale ale/IPA featuring Nelson & Citra. First time I brewed small batch inside, typically been outside on the turkey fryer. Happy with how it turned out so far.

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

Double brewday on the weelend. I am brewing a lager from a stepped up smack pack of Wyeast Urquell. Never used this yeast before. The other one is my standard Blonde Ale. I am using up all my older 2 row and specialty grains. It is that time of year to use up all my old inventory of malt. Nothing is to style, just tossing it all together and we'll see how it turns out.

Swampale

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Brewed an IPA last weekend with Simcoe, Citra, and Amarillo. It smells amazing near the fermentor. Posted the design concept hereand a little brew report here. Feedback on what I could do better is always welcomed!

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

groulxsome wrote:Brewed an IPA last weekend with Simcoe, Citra, and Amarillo. It smells amazing near the fermentor. Posted the design concept hereand a little brew report here. Feedback on what I could do better is always welcomed!
lNot much in the way of feedback ...

But I'd love to have a bottle when it's done.

Jason

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

JasonTremblay wrote:
groulxsome wrote:Brewed an IPA last weekend with Simcoe, Citra, and Amarillo. It smells amazing near the fermentor. Posted the design concept hereand a little brew report here. Feedback on what I could do better is always welcomed!
lNot much in the way of feedback ...

But I'd love to have a bottle when it's done.

Jason
I think we can arrange that!

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

It looks like you didn't make a yeast starter. If that's the case 1 smack pack is definitely underpitching for that beer. Otherwise looks good.