Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Your Top 5 Breweries/BrewHouses in Ontario

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

TheBeeraholic wrote:
velovampire wrote:
TheBeeraholic wrote: Also agree which is why picked up some more of this today $2.80 a can is a pretty good price.
Do you know if there are any plans to add this to the permanent lineup, or is just a one-off canning like the Apoc. Later?
I assume just a one off like Apocolaspe. Lackey chime in? Wos be great of both were available year round. Add Kamra Citra into that discussion as well.
Hells yeah!

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

velovampire wrote: Do you know if there are any plans to add this to the permanent lineup, or is just a one-off canning like the Apoc. Later?
One off. Although, we just did another batch so I guess it's a two off. Should have cans available at the brewery for a month or so. I think it's $2.50 per can if you buy a case.
Should be plenty one-off brews in cans to come...
More one offs are being brewed on the big system now as we move away from the frusteratingly small pilot system.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Lackey wrote:More one offs are being brewed on the big system now as we move away from the frusteratingly small pilot system.
so i should come and make a big batch of Nazgul? :D
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Lackey wrote:Should be plenty one-off brews in cans to come...
More one offs are being brewed on the big system now as we move away from the frusteratingly small pilot system.
That's great news. I much prefer cans to bombers.

@ Grub: Nazgul was excellent last time it was bottled...

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:@ Grub: Nazgul was excellent last time it was bottled...
we're making another batch, just need to align schedules with Mr Lackey.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Thanks for the tips/endorsement of Pompous Ass -- will definitely have to get some of that!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

velovampire wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:I thought that Granite or the GRB had the best English style beers until I had Pompous Ass. Still love Granite and GRB, but I can't think of a yummier English Pale Ale right now...
This x 1000. I wish I had a fountain of the stuff in my house.
I have to ejumicate myself ever still more in classic English ales, had some very good ones. Will try to pick up some Ass next time I'm near GLB. << awesome how inappropriate that sounds.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Trying the Pompous Ass now. Very nice, sessionable bitter (a bit dry for me), but still prefer Granite BBS. This is quite good too though, especially for 4.2% abv. We need more under 5% choices, IMO. Speaking of which (at the risk of going OT) did anyone try the Neustadt Joan's Dark Secret on cask recently at C'est What? Phenomenal beer for 3.4% abv. I note no one has nominated Neustadt for their top five.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

midlife crisis wrote:I note no one has nominated Neustadt for their top five.
They get so little love. The Big Dog Porter I had recently was awesome and the 10W-40 is supremely drinkable.

I used to buy Neutstadt Lager in cans all the time, when it's bang on very much like fresh German beer vom fass.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Belgian wrote:The Big Dog Porter I had recently was awesome and the 10W-40 is supremely drinkable.
Agreed. I also think their Mill Gap Bitter is the best bitter in the province.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Everytime that Porter comes around, I think - they need to release this at the BO
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

heebes

Post by heebes »

strowlands8 wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Another observation of mine: had this thread been started a year ago, you likely would have seen Flying Monkeys on a lot of top 5 lists. Now they barely even get a mention at #5 on most of these lists.

In my opinion, FM really took a step backwards last year and I hope we see better things from them in 2013.
i 100% agree with this and whats weird is that it seems they took a step backwards in a year that they brewed what is now ontario's #1 beer on ratebeer

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/flying-mon ... ut/192943/
I would definitely still put FM in my top 5. All the one offs I've tried in the past year have been top notch. The Sour IPA and Milk Stout from Session99, Matador and Smoked Porter from this weekend at the Rhino, BNL at the LCBO. And in my opinion their LCBO lineup of Smashbomb, Netherworld and Hoptical Illusion could go toe to toe with any other brewery in Ontario.

Although I do wish that some of the one offs would make more frequent appearances..
Flying Monkeys has really fallen behind as far as delivering the past few years. Wasn't interested in the expense of BNL, Stereovision was a letdown and every time I tell myself to retry Hoptical or Smashbomb I repeatedly shake my head at the mistake of doing so and being dissapointed at the quality control, especially knowing I've had stellar renditions of each years ago.
Maybe its the shelves that ruin the beer, but picking up beer at Bellwoods and Great Lakes from their fridge gives me great relief knowing its fresh and refridgerated.

Also, I agree that its a real toss up for #5 right now with Nicklebrook, Camerons and Black Oak being able to keep the momentum off their "best" releases and wow consumers with another winner to prove they are not one hit wonders (as far as doing something "experimental" in the craft scene, not regarding sales of their staples since obv they've been in business for years with success)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

heebes wrote: every time I tell myself to retry Hoptical or Smashbomb I repeatedly shake my head at the mistake of doing so and being dissapointed at the quality control, especially knowing I've had stellar renditions of each years ago.
I keep hearing this from people but every time I buy a fresh Smashbomb, it's great. The Jan 13 bottles I just bought reminds me of Karma Citra.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I like Stereovision, too. Had a pint on tap (first time I have tried it) and it exceeded expectations, which I admit were only moderate. But I quite liked it.