Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Baulz wrote:
GregClow wrote:
Baulz wrote: How do you figure that? A private owner makes more money by selling to underage kids. A LCBO employee makes no extra money selling to underage kids.
A bar owner - and the hypothetical private store owner - can lose their license and be put out of business if they're caught serving underage patrons.

What would happen to an LCBO employee? A reprimand? Maybe a short suspension? I suspect the union would ensure nothing worse in terms of punishment. And the store wouldn't be shut down.
That is true but it doesn't seem to stop store owners from selling tobacco to underage customers.
I used to work at a gas station/c-store and we were always told by the owner, that under any circumstances where we doubt the customer is older than 25 yrs old, to check their ID. We had one employee get caught selling to a minor, and she was fired immediately. And the rest of us got letters from our boss saying why she was fired, and that he would do the same to any of us.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote: Private owners have far more incentive to enforce age restrictions than the LCBO or Beer Store.
Far more incentive to not get caught, I would argue. I was able to buy smokes when I was 16 and god served in bars when I was 18. I never had any fake ID and my license clearly said 1979 - I was just never asked.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

dale cannon wrote: I'm pretty sure you didn't need to rephrase your entire thesis 'in clear english', JP was specifically questioning the bit about 'at a loss', which was factually incorrect.

As an aside, to 'milk the cow' is to squeeze as much profit out of something as possible. Which is sort of what you've argued they are not doing, no? I can think of a few other bovine themed idioms that could be used to appropriately depict the scenario that you've (mostly) accurately described here.
I'm pretty sure I had not been speaking, or rambling, in clear english.

And yes milking the cow in this case means getting the most money out of the same old thing with no other effort to innovate or improve. If it's all a business does they normally decline after a while, but the LC is in a unique position - they didn't really 'create' a competitive success nor do they have to defend it from innovators. They just assumed the total market as theirs to own.

Anyway that's the best I can muster, not feeling great this week and sorry if meaning was unclear! Please no prickly detail analyses... I need soup...
In Beerum Veritas

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Belgian wrote:Anyway that's the best I can muster, not feeling great this week and sorry if meaning was unclear! Please no prickly detail analyses... I need soup...
'Twas a decent attempt.

Hope you found some soup (and some Nogne) and are feeling better J-Roc.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

finally got around to getting my stash of Gulden Draak from the winter release (my local had 3 cases listed on inventory). Only to find out that they're not allowed to sell them to me because they are on hold for a licensee. The guy tells me I can go enjoy my beer there ... for 200% markup .... no thanks.

No Gulden Draak for me.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

The Agenda on TVO is having a LCBO discussion tonight with Regg Cohn.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

kafercrazy wrote:finally got around to getting my stash of Gulden Draak from the winter release (my local had 3 cases listed on inventory). Only to find out that they're not allowed to sell them to me because they are on hold for a licensee. The guy tells me I can go enjoy my beer there ... for 200% markup .... no thanks.

No Gulden Draak for me.
Does this mean I can call my local LCBO to hold three cases of Gulden Draak for me?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Not sure where to put this, but thought it worth pointing out that according to NAC, as of Feb 4 you'll be able to get Tree Hop Head 6 pks for a buck off.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote:
kafercrazy wrote:they're not allowed to sell them to me because they are on hold for a licensee. The guy tells me I can go enjoy my beer there ... for 200% markup .... no thanks.
Does this mean I can call my local LCBO to hold three cases of Gulden Draak for me?
I'd say you could arrange a reservation or transfer, minimum one case, should be no problem. I've done it a few times.

Kafer it sucks the store held nothing back for its walk-in customers, WTF is the purpose of a Ontario-run store if they put no stock on the floor for the Ontario public?
In Beerum Veritas

St Veronus

Post by St Veronus »

Hey Kafercrazy,
Sorry about the Gulden Draak. Bit of a misunderstanding from the LCBO employee though. I ordered that beer. That particular store had no plans to get any and no plans to stock it. It shows up in inventory because there is no way to flag it as a customer order. I don't have any special access to beer that you don't. You can order beer the same way I can. just call them up with the product number. Hope this helps out. Cheers.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

St Veronus wrote:Hey Kafercrazy,
Sorry about the Gulden Draak. Bit of a misunderstanding from the LCBO employee though. I ordered that beer. That particular store had no plans to get any and no plans to stock it. It shows up in inventory because there is no way to flag it as a customer order. I don't have any special access to beer that you don't. You can order beer the same way I can. just call them up with the product number. Hope this helps out. Cheers.
it worked OK, I got some in the next order.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ok.... not sure if anyone else has run into this recently. But it's happened to me three times in the past two weeks.

I always look around at what single bottles are lying around at the LCBO. There are way too many beers I don't want to buy a bunch of.

I finally came across a single Sam Adams Latitude 48 on a shelf today and picked it up. I also picked up a single Palm from Belgium.

At the cash, neither scanned as a single bottle, and the guy told me I couldn't buy them. This happened at the Queens Quay location but happened at another location to me over a week ago.

Both times the staff member actually asked someone else what he could do...and he was told he could not sell me that beer. The one guy was explicitly told that "no, we can't use that generic number anymore." (Which they used to always punch in no problem)

So both times I asked the guys.....are those loose bottle beers going to sit there forever then if you can't sell them? The first guy kind of joked and said "I guess so!"

The other guy said, "no...I guess we'll have to destroy them."

Anyone else having trouble with single bottle buys these days?

I should note that it only happened for these beers. I did manage to get singles of some other (much less appealing) beers, like Bud Light Platinum.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

El Pinguino wrote:Ok.... not sure if anyone else has run into this recently. But it's happened to me three times in the past two weeks....

At the cash, neither scanned as a single bottle, and the guy told me I couldn't buy them. This happened at the Queens Quay location but happened at another location to me over a week ago.

Both times the staff member actually asked someone else what he could do...and he was told he could not sell me that beer. The one guy was explicitly told that "no, we can't use that generic number anymore." (Which they used to always punch in no problem)

So both times I asked the guys.....are those loose bottle beers going to sit there forever then if you can't sell them? The first guy kind of joked and said "I guess so!"...
I ran into this during my first year as a BT forum subscriber. The King & Spadina outlet was in the running for the least customer-friendly location in Ontario.

I raised the issue on BT. Many of you responded: (highlights)

- all open box product can be sold as single-bottle purchases;
- the LCBO has always had a single-bottle code;
- there is no such thing as an orphan bottle;
- managers are the gatekeepers, and if they don't care much about customers they will tell all CSRs to refuse to sell a single bottle if it won't scan.

I had many arguments at the King/Spadina location and usually lost. The final straw was the manager's refusal to sell Boneshaker as singles from the open box. A friendly CSR essentially snuck the bottle through the sales process. But life's too short for asshole managers, so I stopped arguing and now follow the "rules" at that location.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

FWIW, the last time I was at Queens Quay there were large signs beside the Green Flash (open top) four packs which say "not available for single bottle purchase". I share your frustration as I too never break up sixes but try to buy orphans if they are just sitting there, ostensibly "for sale".

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Yeah I've had that problem several times at King & Spadina and elsewhere.

Be consistent. Either allow singles or don't. And if singles aren't allowed then get rid of the singles basket!
lister