Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Help buying Pappy Van Winkle

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

munrets

Help buying Pappy Van Winkle

Post by munrets »

Hi all,

Not a beer thing but I know there are lots of bourbon drinkers on here. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to get my hands on a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle here in Toronto in the next few days? Other than driving across the border, that is.

Thanks.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

No, not available right now. The Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old was available recently and may still be available at some stores.....but no pappy right now.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

If it's the taste and not the name you're after, the Weller 12yo is extremely similar and half the price.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I had heard from Vintages that they would be releasing a Van Winkle (don't think Pappy) in the spring.

P.S. for you bourbon guys out there, I'm involved in this - not much to say concrete right now but it's gonna be good!

www.torontobourbonweek.com

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Bytowner wrote:If it's the taste and not the name you're after, the Weller 12yo is extremely similar and half the price.
I'm not doubting you, but that is a $20 bottle of bourbon in the US. Have you done a side by side tasting to compare?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Cass wrote:I had heard from Vintages that they would be releasing a Van Winkle (don't think Pappy) in the spring.
It will be the 23 year old Pappy that is coming

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

markaberrant wrote: I'm not doubting you, but that is a $20 bottle of bourbon in the US. Have you done a side by side tasting to compare?
Yes, and it's generally accepted that the two are closely related. Both wheated bourbons are produced by Buffalo Trace and there have even been rumours that they're the same base.

EDIT: To clarify, I probably wouldn't compare the Weller to the 20 or 23 Pappy, just the younger ones.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Bytowner wrote:
markaberrant wrote: I'm not doubting you, but that is a $20 bottle of bourbon in the US. Have you done a side by side tasting to compare?
Yes, and it's generally accepted that the two are closely related. Both wheated bourbons are produced by Buffalo Trace and there have even been rumours that they're the same base.

EDIT: To clarify, I probably wouldn't compare the Weller to the 20 or 23 Pappy, just the younger ones.
Gotcha, thanks for the additional info. Just getting into bourbons, picked up some Breckenridge Bourbon in Denver, and Elmer T Lee Single Barrel in Dallas. Looking forward to cracking them within the next week.

I've also had Maker's (basic, but solid), Woodford Reserve (too much heat for my liking), Knob Creek (rough and hot for me) and Elijah Craig 12 (much better than Knob Creek when tasted side by side).

Bourbon is expensive in Canada, but dirt cheap in the US.

Anyone have thoughts on some of the better Canadian Rye whiskey? 40 Creek Barrel Select is top notch stuff to me, I also like their Double Barrel Reserve, but is almost 3x the cost. I've found their other specialty releases a little disappointing, I prefer the Barrel Select in side by side tastings. I've heard good things about Alberta Premium Dark Horse, not sure what else is worth trying? Any thoughts on the Pike Creek?

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

markaberrant wrote:Anyone have thoughts on some of the better Canadian Rye whiskey? 40 Creek Barrel Select is top notch stuff to me, I also like their Double Barrel Reserve, but is almost 3x the cost. I've found their other specialty releases a little disappointing, I prefer the Barrel Select in side by side tastings. I've heard good things about Alberta Premium Dark Horse, not sure what else is worth trying? Any thoughts on the Pike Creek?
All very good (and good value): Lot No. 40, Forty Creek Copper Pot, Alberta Premium Dark Horse, Wiser's Legacy.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

PeenSteen wrote:
Cass wrote:I had heard from Vintages that they would be releasing a Van Winkle (don't think Pappy) in the spring.
Have any idea of the price point? Only time I seen it on the shelf was 199$ in Syracuse. Went for the 99$ 20-year old in stead at the time after tasting them side-by-side at Al's Whiskey & Cigar Lounge the night before and much prefering the 20.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

iguenard wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:
Have any idea of the price point? Only time I seen it on the shelf was 199$ in Syracuse. Went for the 99$ 20-year old in stead at the time after tasting them side-by-side at Al's Whiskey & Cigar Lounge the night before and much prefering the 20.
Just an estimate, but somewhere in the neighbourhood of 160-190 a bottle

jayB

Post by jayB »

iguenard wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:
Ian, where in Syracuse did you buy the 20 year? I've just recently got into various whisk(e)ys, and don't have a clue where to go in the area to get some stuff we can't get here. (I just know the good beer stores.) Any suggestions for good liquor stores that are drivable from Ottawa? (Syracuse, Watertown, Rochester, etc)

(Sorry to derail the thread a bit)