Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

7 Trappists for Charity

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

wookieden

7 Trappists for Charity

Post by wookieden »

Hey All,
I'm donating a bottle from each of the 7 Trappists to a silent auction for a charity dinner my gf is running on Friday.

Does anyone have any thoughts for a starting bid for the collection as a whole? (All bottles are 330mL)
1. Westvletern 12
2. Rochefort 8
3. Chimay White
4. Orval
5. La Trappe Tripel
6. Westmalle Tripel
7. Achel Blonde

Thanks for the input!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Good boy!

I can't help with the valuation, but you might want to print out a Ratebeer quote or something to present with each one to help the uninitiated understand what they are bidding on. Talking points tend to drive up value in these things.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

wookieden

Post by wookieden »

Thanks Tapsucker. Will do! I was going to put some kind of a write up, but using ratebeer is a great idea.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I'd say 60$ is a fair starting point?

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

That's a great idea!
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

Maybe a copy of one of the newspaper articles showing LCBO lines for the westy too.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Seventy Five bucks. You did all the work and the point is that they're all in the same place and besides it's for charity.
saintjohnswort.ca

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Are any of the bottles aged? People who know one or two things would probably appreciate the info.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Since I sell all of them except for La Trappe and since I assume they are all 330ml, you could buy them from me for about $37 so that should be your base. Don't know where the other guys get their numbers but I'd be glad to sell to them at the values they are quoting.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

No thanks Esprit! :), I pay less. This is a charity auction hence the suggestion. Besides, weren't you selling westy at 40-50$ a bottle last year? ;)

wookieden

Post by wookieden »

Thanks to all for all the help and advice!
The event was last night and they ended up raising $175 for Women's Cancer Research.

Peter - I'll talk to you for a set for next year.

Thanks again everyone, this really is a great beer community.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

wookieden wrote:Thanks to all for all the help and advice!
The event was last night and they ended up raising $175 for Women's Cancer Research.
Great stuff...every little bit helps!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Congrats on the money raised. I did the same thing and donated a bottle of Amsterdam Goudenvond to a charity auction back in the fall when there was only a hundred bottles of it or so at the time. Ended up going for $60!...the wine collectors were all over it!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

iguenard wrote:No thanks Esprit! :), I pay less. This is a charity auction hence the suggestion. Besides, weren't you selling westy at 40-50$ a bottle last year? ;)
My work colleagues and I bought four cases off Peter last year. No where near $50 a bottle. Worked out to $16 a bottle. $480 or something a 24.. Not much more than what the LCBO was selling it for.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

TheBeeraholic wrote:
iguenard wrote:No thanks Esprit! :), I pay less. This is a charity auction hence the suggestion. Besides, weren't you selling westy at 40-50$ a bottle last year? ;)
My work colleagues and I bought four cases off Peter last year. No where near $50 a bottle. Worked out to $16 a bottle. $480 or something a 24.. Not much more than what the LCBO was selling it for.
I stand corrected then! :)