Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

100 Breweries in Ontario?!?!?!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

100 Breweries in Ontario?!?!?!

Post by JerCraigs »

When the hell did that happen?
http://www.momandhops.ca/brewery-listing/

Admittedly there are a lot of contract breweries and a bunch that are not yet open, but still. Wow.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

This "brewery" is:

a). a fake, or
b). a failed enterprise
c). uncertain about the essential ingredients of beer
d). all of the above

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

zane9 wrote:
This "brewery" is:

a). a fake, or
b). a failed enterprise
c). uncertain about the essential ingredients of beer
d). all of the above
http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/vincent-villanis/34/b46/29

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

A few of these definitely seem to be vapour-ware and a few more are brew pubs I've never heard of as well as a few that are to be launching shortly, but congrats to Ontario's booming brewery scene!
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

zane9

Post by zane9 »

The word "beer" appears nowhere.

momnhops

Post by momnhops »

Hey dudes,

We had a small story on Bamboo Beer back in Jan. Not sure where they are at now though..

http://www.momandhops.ca/bamboo-beer-of ... n-ontario/

Chris

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I know that Amber, the first one, does "house" beers for different restaurants. There's an Indian Restaurant down the street that has their "dark" and "lager".

And then...there's Tracks...
Last edited by JeffPorter on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

This part stood out for me
After partnering with Trafalgar Ales & Meads in Oakville to perfect their recipes, manufacturing licenses are now in place and the final stages of artwork and listing with the LCBO are nearing finalization
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I love seeing so many new breweries popping up. It's also a nice reminder that not every new brewery is trying to appeal to the polished craft beer connoisseurs....plenty of mediocre craft beer out there as well.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

That is quite amazing, really. Never would have guessed. Anyone know if the one in Pembroke is for real? I spend some time in that area in the summer.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

sprague11 wrote:This part stood out for me
After partnering with Trafalgar Ales & Meads in Oakville to perfect their recipes, manufacturing licenses are now in place and the final stages of artwork and listing with the LCBO are nearing finalization
That literally made me laugh out loud.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

JeffPorter wrote:I know that Amber, the first one, does "house" beers for different restaurants. There's an Indian Restaurant down the street that has their "dark" and "lager".

And then...there's Tracks...
They do a lot of brewing for restaraunt in china town also. Pretty interesting place. From what I know they use all malt extract.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

midlife crisis wrote:That is quite amazing, really. Never would have guessed. Anyone know if the one in Pembroke is for real? I spend some time in that area in the summer.
The one in Pembroke seems a bit iffy to me. Their blog posts have months or even years between them. If they started in 2009 and still aren't up and running then I don't have much faith they ever will be. I grew up near Pembroke and have been hoping for years that they would have a good beer for me to try when I am back for a visit but no lick yet.

Whitewater Brewing in Forster's Falls sounds promising though. They announced their formation in the fall I think and said they hoped to have some beer for sale by this summer. The facebook page looks like they may be getting there.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
sprague11 wrote:This part stood out for me
That literally made me laugh out loud.
Did you not like any of the Black Creek bottled offerings?

Speaking of them, does anyone know what's happening. LCBO inventories don't seem to be being replenished.