Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

SteelbackGuy wrote:A couple of others beer I have sampled recently are Diamond Knot IPA, Hercules DIPA, and BACCHAUS (sp), the latter thanks to Cale and Mel.

Also, I revisited the Cayenne Stout last night. Nice effort, just have a half pint.

Was at taps the other day and we had the Black IPA. Wonderful effort from this producer.

We are sort of wondering what to do the rest of the weekend...we may go to Toronto to check the beer scene, but Leafs fans are there and nobody really wants that at all. Maybe back to taps??
Should be noted that the Red Rocket Stout from Sawdust City is a Coffee & Cayenne stout. For some reason the Ship isn't aware of that or just didn't put it on the description. Just wanted to stress that as many are only mentioning the Cayenne.

I had no problem finishing two back-to-back (full) pints of it! Perfect bitterness and just the right amount of heat made it pretty damn drinkable to me, but I have a pretty high tolerance to spice.

And thanks again for splitting those bottles (and cheese)!
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Cale wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:A couple of others beer I have sampled recently are Diamond Knot IPA, Hercules DIPA, and BACCHAUS (sp), the latter thanks to Cale and Mel.

Also, I revisited the Cayenne Stout last night. Nice effort, just have a half pint.

Was at taps the other day and we had the Black IPA. Wonderful effort from this producer.

We are sort of wondering what to do the rest of the weekend...we may go to Toronto to check the beer scene, but Leafs fans are there and nobody really wants that at all. Maybe back to taps??
Should be noted that the Red Rocket Stout from Sawdust City is a Coffee & Cayenne stout. For some reason the Ship isn't aware of that or just didn't put it on the description. Just wanted to stress that as many are only mentioning the Cayenne.

I had no problem finishing two back-to-back (full) pints of it! Perfect bitterness and just the right amount of heat made it pretty damn drinkable to me, but I have a pretty high tolerance to spice.

And thanks again for splitting those bottles (and cheese)!

You are most welcome!

Yes, the beer certainly has the coffee to it. I noted only on RB that it was made with coffee. But I did mention in my rating it had coffee fr sure!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Today at The Morrissey House with brunch:
Neustadt Mill Gap Bitter (draught)

Then at home:
Founders All Day IPA
Goose Island Mild Winter

Right now:
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

it's very good.. better than Ruination.. but it's no Pliny ;)
iguenard wrote:
spinrsx wrote:bottle of stone - enjoy by DIPA, thanks to iguenard for this
So... as good as I was saying?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Just finished pouring a Canny Man down the drain.....this beer is the reason I will never buy a scotch barrel aged beer ever again, thanks for that.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

PeenSteen wrote:Just finished pouring a Canny Man down the drain.....this beer is the reason I will never buy a scotch barrel aged beer ever again, thanks for that.
It was certainly one dimensional.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:Today at The Morrissey House with brunch:
Neustadt Mill Gap Bitter (draught)

Then at home:
Founders All Day IPA
Goose Island Mild Winter

Right now:
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA
Isn't that special. How are they doing overall?
Still ignoring and belittling customers as a rule, or have they grasped the concept of customer service?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Isn't that special. How are they doing overall?
Still ignoring and belittling customers as a rule, or have they grasped the concept of customer service?
"Isn't that special" ?!?!?

Dude, you sound seriously bitter and disillusioned. Why so negative? The service was great, otherwise I wouldn't go there. The only time I've had a bad experience is when the two of us were ignored on the patio 2 1/2 years ago. After that they improved dramatically, and your RB review (the highest of the lot) seems to reflect that. Anyway, you don't sound like yourself Len...I hope everything is alright.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

Over the weekend:

Kuhnhenn DRIPA
Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock
Dogfish Head Aprihop
Bell's Hopslam
Hopcat Stepchild
Odd Side Ales Bourbon Barrel Mayan Mocha Stout
Founder's Empire Strikes Bitter
Founder's EXP7272
Founder's Diamond Mountain Brown
Founder's Curmudgeon Old Ale
Founder's KBS
Short's Huma Lupa Licious
Brewery Vivant Tart Side of the Moon
Brewery Vivant Quad
Brewery Vivant Ménage A Trois
Brewery Wood Cut Beer

I was also able to bring some beer back with me.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:

Dude, you sound seriously bitter and disillusioned. Why so negative? The service was great, otherwise I wouldn't go there. The only time I've had a bad experience is when the two of us were ignored on the patio 2 1/2 years ago. After that they improved dramatically, and your RB review (the highest of the lot) seems to reflect that. Anyway, you don't sound like yourself Len...I hope everything is alright.

I'm fine thank you!
Don't you remember all the whack shit that happened to me there? I guess I still harbour a lot of resentment for that place hahaha. Anyway I was trying to be funny, but it doesn't come across right on here! But it is good to hear they have stepped them game up!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

cratez wrote:
Needs to be said in the proper voice
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

Hoppin' Frog's Mean Manalishi DIPA

heebes

Post by heebes »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:Just finished pouring a Canny Man down the drain.....this beer is the reason I will never buy a scotch barrel aged beer ever again, thanks for that.
but what about the "sexy" packaging...? :roll:

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

heebes wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
but what about the "sexy" packaging...? :roll:
LOL, so true. I forgot that marketing is considered by some to be a layer of flavour in a good beer :)

I am drinking a Greenbush Brothers Benjamin DIPA. Really good, but not amazing.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Mt. Begbie High Country Kolsch and Tall Timber Ale on Revelstoke Mountain... it was 18C on the mid-station patio at lunch!

Great Easter Weekend. :D