Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO strike vote

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

atomeyes wrote:
depends.
there are claims that LCBO is way too top heavy for its own good.
i don't have issues with paying someone market value. but if you have too many someones, you should look at trimming fat - just like most organizations do
I acknowleged that in my post. I have no idea if the LCBO is top heavy or not, but the salaries don't seem that out of whack (to me anyway).

Thanks for the info, Steelback. Peeling back the iron curtain helps me understand the issues a lot better.

Very interesting on the ID messaging.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

zane9 wrote:
velovampire wrote:... I felt like I was part of some '80s dystopian future sci-fi/horror flick, and I really dug it. This world is a shitty, shitty place, and I'm glad I'm in it.
Oh you'll love it until the announcement names you personally. "Have your ID ready, velovampire. Yes, you." :wink:
:lol:

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

... when was the last time there was a contract negotiation without a strike vote?
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Bytowner wrote:... when was the last time there was a contract negotiation without a strike vote?
LCBO union or labor in general?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:...The Social Responsibility game is all they have, and they are trying to engrain the people of this province with such thoughts.
If there is a strike, Ontarians will have little patience for it....but the empathy may come in the fact that if enough people are on board with the whole Social Responsibility thing.....what do you think?
I think a whole lot more people will be sorely chafed by the interruption of a monopolized commodity than care about the "Check25" bandwagon. Ontario consumers are very easy-going only until they really feel they are being fucked with - at which point you have induced the unlikely foment of actual social upset and strong public disapproval of the LCBO, things that could damage this venerable 'keep the sheep asleep' institution.

A strike won't happen, IMO. Too much embarassing incidental damage to later have to back-pedal and recover from.
In Beerum Veritas

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

The vote has come in with 95% in favour of a strike.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I should add that my own professional association has not stood up strongly enough for years, partly due to member participation apathy so 'opportunistic' wage value erosion has in fact taken place. We've recently had to step up a lot in visibility just to not be completely taken advantage of by those signing the pay agreements. No representation = no reason to pay!

There is a 'line' to be met on both sides in the deal, and every working Canadian should find out what additional money could in all justifiability be part of their earnings. That's not the same thing as just demanding 'more' regardless of all circumstances.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

If there is a strike, Ontarians will have little patience for it....but the empathy may come in the fact that if enough people are on board with the whole Social Responsibility thing.....what do you think?
To me the whole Social Responsibility thing is a transparently ludicrous sham and in keeping with the general MADD-induced anti-drinking paranoia that unfortunately seems to be creeping back upon us .... but I may not be typical in that regard.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I'm calling dibs on providing scab labour for the tasting *ahem* I mean "testing laboratory".

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

midlife crisis wrote:
To me the whole Social Responsibility thing is a transparently ludicrous sham and in keeping with the general MADD-induced anti-drinking paranoia that unfortunately seems to be creeping back upon us .... but I may not be typical in that regard.
The whole social responsibility thing is a huge scam. I think there is probably a significant portion of LCBO employees who push it with the idea that only a trained LCBO employee can safely sell booze. It is crap though I think, because the funny thing is if a bartender sells a kid a drink, or if a store owner sells a kid a pack of smokes, they can get fined, people get fired, and establishments lose licences or get shut down. I doubt anything happens if an LCBO employee sells a kid some booze. Certainly the store doesn't get shut down.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Craft brewers cheer threat of LCBO strike?

http://o.canada.com/2013/04/10/threat-o ... dbf257da8a

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

The whole social responsibility thing is a huge scam. I think there is probably a significant portion of LCBO employees who push it with the idea that only a trained LCBO employee can safely sell booze. It is crap though I think, because the funny thing is if a bartender sells a kid a drink, or if a store owner sells a kid a pack of smokes, they can get fined, people get fired, and establishments lose licences or get shut down. I doubt anything happens if an LCBO employee sells a kid some booze. Certainly the store doesn't get shut down.
This has always been my thought. The repercussions from selling to someone underage is significantly more severe for everyone else then for the LCBO. LCBO employee only would be reprimanded, and worst case fired. Anyone else would risk having the establishment lose their license and ability to sell, which would put them out of business.

So really, the socially responsible thing to do is to stop the LCBO from selling, as they are the greater risk.
Last edited by xocoatl on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

To play Devil's Advocate, I assume the flip side of the repercussions you state is that the LCBO doesn't have the same profit motive as the private business so the risks/rewards in both cases are not the same.

Selling to a minor:

LCBO: low risk (you still have to buy your alcohol from them), low reward (profit motive less than private)

Store: high risk (lost sales), high(er) reward (extra profit from those sales)

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »