Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

heebes

Post by heebes »

writing it on the website when they change the beer list thats available would be just as easy as the chalkboard

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I assume you guys have camera phones, to snap a photo of the chalk board? Well there you go - an electronic freshness record of the Bellwoods beer in your fridge.

Also it may be worth appreciating that Bellwoods actually DO bottles - they do extremely fresh and small-scale bottling runs - instead of just relying on growlers that are almost 2 liters and should be consumed 'sooner the better.'
In Beerum Veritas

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

Went by today to pick up some of the Hefeweizen and Roman Candle. While the Roman Candle does not have 'bottled on' dates, the hefeweizen does. So hopefully the labeling will continue.
Ren

nickw

Post by nickw »

Had a chat about the labeling at the Bellwoods store the other day. Anything with the new labels basically won't ever have bottling dates, but they have the bottling dates for all bottles listed on the price list at the store. Not a big deal at all.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

nickw wrote: Not a big deal at all.
Maybe not to you. I personally don't like the change...

nickw

Post by nickw »

Fair enough, but I've talked to them about why they changed, understand it, and respect their decisions.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

** Bring out your Dead is now Sold Out **

(Wizard Wolf was gone from tap yesterday as well, don't know if it still is since they list it. It would also be my dearest wish they kept a Monogamy tap going all year-round if that were possible! The Farmhouse Saison is better than ever.)
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Belgian wrote:** Bring out your Dead is now Sold Out **

(Wizard Wolf was gone from tap yesterday as well, don't know if it still is since they list it. It would also be my dearest wish they kept a Monogamy tap going all year-round if that were possible! The Farmhouse Saison is better than ever.)
Apparently I arrived at the retail store about an hour after the Bring Out Your Dead sold out. I was really disappointed. If anyone's got an extra bottle they want to trade, sell or share, I'd be most grateful!

heebes

Post by heebes »

How's the Hoppy Hefe?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

heebes wrote:How's the Hoppy Hefe?
Good, but not a Hefe

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

PeenSteen wrote:
Good, but not a Hefe
Totally love it! But yeah, what he said.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Hoppy Hefe is brewed with German Weissbier yeast but shows no fruity or banana flavors and and no spicy clove or hints of lemon, bubblegum or vanilla you might find in a typical Weissbier, or in something like Hopfen-Weisse. With its dry, complex hop bouquet HH is a grassy, pointedly bitter wheat ale with a light body, and features the fresh character of the hops really well.
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Belgian wrote:
The Hoppy Hefe is brewed with German Weissbier yeast but shows no fruity or banana flavors and and no spicy clove or hints of lemon, bubblegum or vanilla you might find in a typical Weissbier, or in something like Hopfen-Weisse. With its dry, complex hop bouquet HH is a grassy, pointedly bitter wheat ale with a light body, and features the fresh character of the hops really well.
Yeah, what he said! :wink:

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

Belgian wrote:
The reason for that is because it's brewed with an American Hefeweizen yeast, which I suppose at one time was from Germany, but has been selected for subtle characteristics not found in Bavarian hefe yeast.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

their hefe is one of the few beer by them that i said "meh" to.