Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brewing challenge: can you make a GOOD Rogue Voodoo Maple?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Brewing challenge: can you make a GOOD Rogue Voodoo Maple?

Post by atomeyes »

i haven't heard one positive comment about Rogue's Voodoo Maple Bacon Donut Ale. In concept, it shouldn't be a bad beer. But apparently it is pretty undrinkable.

I'm wondering if the maple, bacon and "doughnut" essense could be done properly and turned into a very good beer?

anyone interested in tackling this challenge?

my first offering would be to do it as a dubel or belgian strong. get some nice sweetness going from that. and use some "donut-y" grains like Victory to give a nice bready taste.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

I'd be interested in trying this at some point. If a few other people are interested we could turn it into some sort of bar towel maple bacon challenge.

duncan

Post by duncan »

A maple rauchbier could be interesting.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I'd rather focus on making good beer :)

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

markaberrant wrote:I'd rather focus on making good beer :)
Agreed, this idea is terrible, no one should ever try this and rouge certainly shouldn't have

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

matt7215 wrote:
Agreed, this idea is terrible, no one should ever try this and rouge certainly shouldn't have
i disagree.
people liked smoked beer if done properly. people like belgian strong ales, which are sweet.
if you keep things a) subtle b) natural (and not artificial tasting), then i can see it working quiet well. a hint of smoke and a wee bit of sweetness to a dark beer? sure.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

When first trying the Rogue thing we, for comparison, mixed up some Stone Hammer Maple Red Ale (one of the best Maple beers for out-an-out solid maple flavour for me) and some Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen. Together the malt and maple sweetness actually complemented the rauchbier smokiness quite well. Much better than the comparatively hollow Rogue.

I think it would be possible, but I'd focus on the good rauchbier aspect first and try to subtly fill in some maple.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

atomeyes wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
i disagree.
people liked smoked beer if done properly. people like belgian strong ales, which are sweet.
if you keep things a) subtle b) natural (and not artificial tasting), then i can see it working quiet well. a hint of smoke and a wee bit of sweetness to a dark beer? sure.
there is a huge difference between a lightly smoked strong belgian dark and a beer that tastes like bacon and maple.