Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto’s MB Bottle Brew simplifies brewing craft beer

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Mr.X

Toronto’s MB Bottle Brew simplifies brewing craft beer

Post by Mr.X »

http://www.starbusinessclub.ca/sales/to ... -capacity/

This just sounds gross. Ready to drink in 10 days and carbonated? They must really enjoy the taste of Acetaldehyde.

Also not sure how this qualifies as "craft" They should have used the word "Premium".

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

Good for them for being successful. Being an all-grain brewer for 15 years I don't have a lot of positives to say about this. I like the whole process of making beer from scratch from start to finish. If I see this kit I will certainly buy it and only then say anything positive or negative about it.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

I've used the pilsner as a popular transition beer. Serve at 8-9 days. Watch for five months' expiry date. Places are selling it past due.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

This kind of shortcut homebrewing is only popular in canada. Total garbage, about the equivalent of microwave mac n cheese as compared to scratch made and baked in the oven.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

people drank it and liked it, it tasted better than a number of beers out there some of them with a "craft" label

not everyone's wife or roommate like people using more sophisticated brewkits

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

They say they are going to be moving to all-malt soon, why they couldn't do that from the start of their new facility, I don't know. I've tried all of their styles, they used to also offer a red, a brown (which are supposedly coming back too) and a light lime. They ranged from awful (light lime) to "well that's not bad for the price" (brown).

I found the lighter beers to have more of an off-flavour (sorry I don't know what it was), perhaps the darker ones just covered it better. It's certainly not craft brew, but when it was $4/bottle (I think it's gotten more expensive) it was something to try for the hell of it. If you brew your own, I can certainly see why you wouldn't enjoy this, unless you're just curious to see what's out there.