Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Clearance items @ LCBOs

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Frere Ambroise

Clearance items @ LCBOs

Post by Frere Ambroise »

BTers,

From time to time there are some crazy deals out there where stores are just purging stock -- sometimes the manager is trying to move out slow moving items at that location or end of inventory... so a savvy BT shopper might enjoy... I was at a store (#19 - Stockyards - Keele & St. Clair) yesterday that had the following available:

4 x Bush Pilot - Stormy Monday $2.10 off /each
13 x Radical Road - Canny Man - $2.50 off /each

(I believe that was the price reduction -- may have the prices switched.) Also some Grand River IPA reduced as well.

Get them before they are gone!

Cheers,
B

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I am always happy to get a deal when I can but it is sad to see the first offerings from two new breweries on the discount rack. I hope both brewers will not suffer too much from this. I haven't tried either. I just don't buy very many larger bottles of 10% beer. I thought it was ambitious that both of these brewers came out of the gate with such expensive products. I will gladly fork over a few extra dollars for a bottle of 10 Bitter Years as it is a known product from a quality brewer but I don't think I am alone in shying away from these two. I hope they come out with products in more standard sizes and perhaps with a more standard alcohol content. I realize these are both good for cellaring for a while but do people really buy new beer from new brewers with the intent to cellar them or do they age stuff they know will improve with time? You have to have a large beer budget to buy many $10 bottles of unknown product to plan to store them for a while. I have seen plenty of both of these beers at my local ( Crossroads ) and there doesn't seem to be many less when I go back. Good luck to both brewers but I suspect they may have jumped out of the gate too fast!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

toweringpine wrote:I am always happy to get a deal when I can but it is sad to see the first offerings from two new breweries on the discount rack. I hope both brewers will not suffer too much from this. I haven't tried either. I just don't buy very many larger bottles of 10% beer. I thought it was ambitious that both of these brewers came out of the gate with such expensive products.
I think your points above are exactly what landed them on the discount rack. I bought a bottle of each and didn't like either one enough to buy a second bottle. I assume many others felt the same way for them to make their way to the discount rack.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

Radical Road if i'm correct is brewed by Black Oak. It's their experimental line of beers, no?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

robinvboyer wrote:Radical Road if i'm correct is brewed by Black Oak. It's their experimental line of beers, no?
Brewed at Black Oak, yes. But I believe it's a separate company owned by two of Black Oak's brewers - Simon Da Costa and Jon Hodd - who are technically brewing their own beer there under contract.

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Sometimes it is not the beer - but the location and management of the store.

1) Sometimes it is mostly the store location where the surrounding neighbourhood is not craft beer savvy enough -- so the store receives their shipment and then due to their surrounding clientele - the stock does not get purchased fast enough.

2) The odd time you have an Mgr/Asst mgr on the outskirts of GTA who thinks they should be just a wine & spirit store and believe Heineken is craft beer and will purge the rest of the micro stock for more "craft shelf space" for Corona & Stella. :roll:

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Just to add to this, there's a buck off RPA right now (not clearance, though, limited time thing - for the I <3 Canada promo, maybe?)

But that's a fairly good deal...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:
robinvboyer wrote:Radical Road if i'm correct is brewed by Black Oak. It's their experimental line of beers, no?
I believe it's a separate company owned by two of Black Oak's brewers - Simon Da Costa and Jon Hodd - who are technically brewing their own beer there under contract.
A good way to make a small fortune, IF you have a large fortune...
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Belgian wrote:
GregClow wrote:
I believe it's a separate company owned by two of Black Oak's brewers - Simon Da Costa and Jon Hodd - who are technically brewing their own beer there under contract.
A good way to make a small fortune, IF you have a large fortune...
I've thought about it... you don't need a large fortune, but you'd be lucky to make a small fortune.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

FYI,
not sure if it is store specific, but my cousin told me that Panil's on sale For $11 at Yonge and Hwy 7

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

atomeyes wrote:FYI,
not sure if it is store specific, but my cousin told me that Panil's on sale For $11 at Yonge and Hwy 7
+1. Seems if a store has stock it's $3 off.

DDC Chaman is $2 off.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Several boxes of Charlevoix La Vache Folle Imperial Milk Stout sitting on the shelves at 401 & Weston right now. $4.50 per 500ml bottle.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

aser

Post by aser »

cratez wrote:Several boxes of Charlevoix La Vache Folle Imperial Milk Stout sitting on the shelves at 401 & Weston right now. $4.50 per 500ml bottle.
I quite like this one, a special order reject I gather. I recommend someone w/ a car to pick this up if they haven't had it before.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

Twice as Mad Tom: $2.50 off 4 pk: at Dundas - Mavis in Mississauga

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

At the Fennel Ave store in Hamilton - both Sofie and Matilda are priced to clear... I think $1.95 off each = $8/bottle. That was on Wednesday of last week - might be gone already.