Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Keep6 is now importing 3 Fonteinin

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Keep6 is now importing 3 Fonteinin

Post by atomeyes »

very good news for Ontario.
as per twitter, looks like we're getting 2 skus:

Schaerbeekse Kriek
Intense Red

I've had the former. Really nice. The latter has even more cherry in it than their normal kriek, so not my thing.

Private sales will be posted.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

The more lambics in Ontario, the better. One of the last great styles that hasn't really seen the light of day much in the province.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Excellent news.

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

Bound to be pricey....but that Schaerbeekse Kriek is so good!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

mixedup wrote:Bound to be pricey....but that Schaerbeekse Kriek is so good!
i figure $15/bottle.
just don't recall if they were bombers or not :(

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

atomeyes wrote:
mixedup wrote:Bound to be pricey....but that Schaerbeekse Kriek is so good!
i figure $15/bottle.
just don't recall if they were bombers or not :(
Why would they be 22oz brown glass crown capped bottles?

Pretty sure they will be either 375ml or 750ml bottles, neither of which is a bomber

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

If they're $15/bottle, I'm guessing 375ml....

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

I remember buying a 750ml bottle of the Schaerbeekse Kriek in Buffalo, back when things like that were available there, for around $35 - I imagine that this would be about right for what we would see here. So, to echo I guess, if it's $15 it's likely the 375ml.

Regardless, great news! I love the geuze in particular & pretty much anything else they do, one of the best in the world.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'll be happy to do an order for 1 or both when they get posted on the keep6 site.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

They were talking maybe $50/bottle out west on RB. Hopefully its less than that here!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

JerCraigs wrote:They were talking maybe $50/bottle out west on RB. Hopefully its less than that here!
Others know more about the pricing than do I, but I was in Calgary last week and my old local told me that both 3F Krieks in the west will be 750's, with the addition of Armand Herfst, also 750. It will only be the Armand that will be pushing $50 and Ontario will have cheaper prices even at comparible volumes.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

matt7215 wrote:
Pretty sure they will be either 375ml or 750ml bottles, neither of which is a bomber
I clearly just learned something - up until now, I've been calling 650ml AND 750ml bottles "bombers". Are only 650 ml considered bombers?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JeffPorter wrote:Are only 650 ml considered bombers?
Technically, yeah.

I'm not sure if the 750 ml size has a nickname. I've heard them referred to as "wine-style bottles" and "dinner bottles" - and depending on the shape, "champagne-style bottles" - but none as consistently as 650s are called bombers.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

GregClow wrote:
Technically, yeah.

I'm not sure if the 750 ml size has a nickname. I've heard them referred to as "wine-style bottles" and "dinner bottles" - and depending on the shape, "champagne-style bottles" - but none as consistently as 650s are called bombers.
if people are nit-picking, then i guess that the 100 mL difference would define a 750 mL bottle as a bomber.

in canada (and europe, i think), we use 750 mL bottles. Bombers are called bombers because they're roughly double the size of a regular bottle. i think it's perfectly acceptable to call large bottles bombers. i've read reviews that call 500 mL bottles bombers as well. erroneous? sure. but who cares. we all know that we're talking about big bottles.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

atomeyes wrote:
GregClow wrote:
Technically, yeah.

Bombers are called bombers because they're roughly double the size of a regular bottle.
thats not why they are called bombers