Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Detroit

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

cratez wrote:
grub wrote: if the trip to champagnes is good enough i won't even bother with merchants
What's the area like around Champagnes? I notice it's just past all the "Mile" roads in Detroit, but I'll gladly head there over Merchant's if the neighbourhood isn't a war zone.
I find most of the suburbs north of detroit ok.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

And since you will be up in that area, pop into The Golden Buddha restaurant (near 3 Mile). Sit in the lounge side, order a massive egg roll and 'The Buddha' cocktail (top secret recipe). If you are driving, stop at 1 Buddha. If you aren't driving, stop at 2 Buddha's! Trust me..

Golden Buddha Restaurant
16340 Harper Avenue
Detroit, MI
48224-2617
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Just wanted to thank everyone for the recos. We hit up Roast, Supino's Pizza, Eastern Market, Astro Coffee, Slow's, a Wings and Jets game, Detroit Beer Co., Foran's Grand Trunk Pub, and took in some people-watching at the outdoor skating rink downtown (on Woodward).

The bartender at Roast reached out to me on Beer Advocate before we went down. After our meal we ordered four drinks and dessert at the bar and he charged us $2 (:o). Really nice gesture and he provided great beer and cocktail suggestions as well. Their sour list is very impressive.

In terms of the other spots, I highly recommend all of them to any Bar Toweller visiting Detroit, except for Eastern Market. We went there because it sounded like Motor City's version of St. Lawrence Market, but there were all sorts of panhandlers and street hustlers either asking us for change or trying to sell us something questionable, and the indoor vendors weren't that special. Luckily Supino's is right across the street, so we grabbed a delicious pizza for lunch and caught a cab back to the hotel.

Slow's, Beer Co., and Grand Trunk are mandatory stops with boatloads of top notch Michigan craft beer and several decent guest taps. We tried the three BBQ dishes that were featured on Man vs. Food. Not suprisingly, they were out of this world. Beer Co. has an awesome atmosphere and I enjoyed their IPA. Food is quality too. Still can't believe that Grand Trunk offers $2.50 pints on Sundays; I quaffed a Huma Lupa and Reserve Special without thinking twice.

All in all it was an excellent trip, and despite its "shit hole" reputation, Detroit is definitely worth a visit if you like good food, beer, and sports. Cheers!

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

Thanks Cratez
Heading down for the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl. Going to hit Slows before and the DBC after.
I've been to the DBC a couple times, great food and great beer.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

cratez wrote: Still can't believe that Grand Trunk offers $2.50 pints on Sundays; I quaffed a Huma Lupa and Reserve Special without thinking twice.
Damn! If I had known that, I would've done Slow's on the Saturday and Grand Trunk on Sunday.

I'm currently at a hotel in Auburn Hills, more for Christmas shopping, but I did get to stop at Wolverine Market on the way in and plan on going to one or two places today.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Any tips for the Pontiac area?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Here's a few places I hit in the suburban Detroit area - i'm not a fan of the city itself at all:

Stores:

Cloverleaf Fine Wine And Spirits 4.54 39 - -
711 S Main Street
Royal Oak, Michigan, 48067

Usually a good selection, though the early renovation seems to have shrunk the beer area.

Holiday Market 4.43 37 - -
1203 S. Main
Royal Oak, Michigan, 48067

Big upscale grocery store - Selection not too far off from Premier - replace the Ohio and Pennsylvania brews with michigan

Champane's Wine Cellar & International Marketplace 4.32 44 - -
7007 Chicago Rd
Warren, Michigan, 48092

Usually my first stop - Big selection, though the rare stuff flies off the shelves fast.

Bars:

Red Coat Tavern 4.49 3 - -
31542 Woodward Ave
Royal Oak, Michigan, 48073

Can be a bit of a wait, and a tad pricey, but the selection is good

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company 4.16 104 86 93
5919 Chicago Rd
Warren, Michigan, 48092-1606

The service can suck at times, but the beer and mead are top notch.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I see a Whole Foods opened earlier this month in the Midtown/Wayne State area and it has a beer department. Haven't heard anything about the selection yet but assuming it's comparable to other big city WF stores this should bode well for those looking to grab some bottles without heading to the burbs. It's also within walking distance of Motor City Brewing Works, Traffic Jam & Snug, and Great Lakes Coffee Roasting, a newish cafe that pours stuff from Jolly Pumpkin, Petrus, Short’s, Dupont, and Bell’s. In fact next time I go to the D I might stay in Midtown just to visit these four spots. My buddy says you can't go wrong with the Inn on Ferry Street.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Anyone have a reco for a place near Comerica Park, and/or know what the beer situation is inside the park itself?

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

midlife crisis wrote:Anyone have a reco for a place near Comerica Park, and/or know what the beer situation is inside the park itself?
I'd been looking at The Park Bar two blocks west of Comerica, at 2040 Park, south of West Elizabeth. But my planned trip fell through.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I've stayed at both Marriott's (right across from each other) and have been fine walking to Comerica and Ford Field. Not to mention Grand Trunk and Jacoby's are both within 5-10 minutes walking as well.

You can find good deals on Priceline's express deals or name your own price. With the express deals you can sometimes figure out which hotel it is. I'm not sure if it's the same for baseball, but I know some hotels offer a shuttle service to football games.

I haven't been to a Tigers game in a few years, but the best choices back then were Leinenkugel Summer Shandy and Sunset Wheat, both were summer seasonals at the time.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Thanks but I'm staying in Windsor with friends, looking more for pub and beer recos.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

midlife crisis wrote: Anyone have a reco for a place near Comerica Park, and/or know what the beer situation is inside the park itself?
According to a friend who was there in late April, they have Atwater beers on tap inside the park (not sure of the exact stand) and Bell's Porter was on tap at Hockeytown Cafe just down the street. So you'll probably be able to find a couple decent craft beers without looking too hard.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

midlife crisis wrote:Anyone have a reco for a place near Comerica Park, and/or know what the beer situation is inside the park itself?
Not sure if you have gone yet or not, but it looks like selection is looking better at Comerica.

From this Serious Eats craft beer/ball park article:
Comerica Park; Detroit Tigers

A strong focus on local breweries is evident in the park's craft beer outpost. Fans can consistently find attendants pouring a whopping 26 different beers from Michigan-based breweries. Numerous brews from Bell's Brewing, New Holland, Founder's, Atwater, and Arcadia are available in a range of styles. While many parks seem to focus on pilsners, wheat beers, and IPAs as a standard, this stadium dives headfirst into everything from Bell's Kalamazoo Stout to Founders Scotch Ale and New Holland Monkey King Saison, making craft beer fans feel right at home.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Interesting that Buffalo and Detroit are featured in today's GRID magazine as 'rust belt road trip'destinations.

I agree about Buffalo's Elmwood/Albright area, but I always thought I'd stay far, far away from Detroit. Though with common sense it's probably OK.

And congrats to Kelowna, BC for having almost nine crimes per one hundred people, making Kelowna current national champion of break-ins and stolen bikes and stuff. I hope Derek Hyde is doing OK out there (as well as my 17 or so Ukrainian relatives.)
In Beerum Veritas