Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Butler's Bitter

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Butler's Bitter

Post by G.M. Gillman »

This is the new bottled iteration, the draft has been available in some places in the Niagara Region (and maybe here too although I can't recall seeing it).

Solid effort, the taste is frankly English, so it fills a niche in that regard.

It reminds me of a number of canned and bottled imports except with good freshness and appeal due to lack of pasteurization. In other words it seems more a good example of bottled English bitter than real ale in a bottle.

I'd prefer it amped up in flavours - same exact flavours just more of them. Maybe this will appear in a stronger version, say at 6% ABV. This one is just under 5%. Nice beer though, don't drink too cold.

Gary
Gary Gillman

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Tasting the remainder of the bottle after a few days, I get a Hobgoblin-like taste. Does anyone find this? I wonder if they were trying to follow that profile broadly. Not my favourite taste in English beer but certainly worthy and a good example of one type of English palate.

Gary
Gary Gillman

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

The color and flavor profile reminded me much more of a english mild than a bitter.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

So after a round of golf in the west end I was in a Firkin pub (not a great idea to begin with, I know, but there was nothing else around) and ordered a "Butlers Pale Ale" by "Niagara Brewing Company". I realize, in retrospect, how stupid this sounds, but I was really expecting to get a Niagara College Butlers Bitter, not some insipid, Moosehead-brewed, industrial yellow beer, which is what showed up. I had no idea this was a Firkin house beer, since I'm generally lucky enough to not set foot in Firkin pubs. But how can these two beers be so similarly named?