Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Windsor-Essex County Beer Enthusiasts, Unite!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ECBS

Windsor-Essex County Beer Enthusiasts, Unite!

Post by ECBS »

Are you a resident of Windsor-Essex County? Have you ever been frustrated by your limited access to great beers that are widely available in Michigan, or Toronto, or elsewhere? Have you ever thought about whether there are any beer enthusiasts just like you in the region and, if so, how great it would be to connect with them? Do you ever feel...alone?

If so, welcome to the club! I myself am a resident of Leamington, ON (approx. 45 minutes from downtown Windsor) and while I at least have the company of a Beer Society made up of Leamington men who meet up for monthly tastings, I thought it would be great to connect with other "beer geeks" in the region for a number of reasons. It's my hope that this thread can be used to:

- Discuss local beer news;
- Alert one another to good beer in stock at regional LCBOs;
- Let one another know when one of us is making a trip to a "beer mecca" so that orders can be taken for anyone else who's interested;
- Possibly coordinate group purchases;
- Possibly trade beer;
- Etc. (the possibilities are endless!)

...assuming at least one other person joins me.

Hope to hear from ANYONE AT ALL soon!

Mike

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

I live in the metropolis of nearby Tilbury, ON and would be interested in something like this. I don't think there are many of us from the area on Bar Towel though unfortunetly. Keep me posted!

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Are you guys going to the Windsor Craft beer Event next month?

If so, we'll see you there!

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

Great idea! I'll support this thread and offer any updates I can.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Lecocq - glad to have someone here from the big city!

Frere Ambroise - Au contraire mon frere! I had been looking forward to the WCBF for so many months, and had even committed to volunteering at the event. Unfortunately I'll now be in Seattle that weekend. Although the beer out there is good, I'm pretty bummed that I'll be missing Windsor's inaugural beer fest. Whereabouts are you located?

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Raisy wrote:Great idea! I'll support this thread and offer any updates I can.
Nice to have you here, Raisy!

This thread has already become way bigger than I ever could have imagined! Hah

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Just read this in Walkerville's most recent newsletter:

"Join us September 29th from 3-6PM for our Anniversary Open House as we celebrate our first year of brewing for Windsor/Essex. Enjoy 5 handcrafted beers on tap, light fare and the sounds of Kelly "Mr.Chill" Hoppe and Greg Cox. Special treat will be a newly released cask conditioned beer."

Also, they've just released their Rye Ale:

"RYE ALE has just been launched! A little different from last years brew; same recipe profile but this year we coarse filtered it to leave some of the natural yeast and proteins in suspension to give it a full mouth feel."

I'm planning on attending the open house with a buddy to try some Rye Ale and hopefully some of that cask ale! Anyone else thinking about going?

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Been wanting to check out Walkerville since they just reopened but unfortunetly can't make it on the 29th. I will be at the craft beer fest though! So where's your favourite spots to hit for good beer in our area??

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Lecocq wrote:Been wanting to check out Walkerville since they just reopened but unfortunetly can't make it on the 29th. I will be at the craft beer fest though! So where's your favourite spots to hit for good beer in our area??
My favourite place for beer has to be Motorburger at 888 Erie Street in Windsor. They always have 5 or 6 microbrews circulating on tap, and they're currently in the process of increasing their capacity. Definitely a fan of their IPA. Walkerville's IPA is great, too. Also had a couple good beers at Jack's Gastropub in Kingsville. And whether you go to Jack's or Motorburger, you're sure to find an amazing burger to pair your brew with!

That said, I actually do most of my imbibing in the confines of my own home, with most of my beer coming from the "Roundhouse" LCBO in Windsor on Howard Ave. They usually have a great selection, and when they're missing something, it's fairly easy to get them to bring it in for you.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Tell us more about Motor Burger. Do they brew their own beer?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

midlife crisis wrote:Tell us more about Motor Burger. Do they brew their own beer?
yup! i haven't been there since they started brewing, and there's scant reviews of their house nano brews online, but the food is awesome and their lineup was always fairly crafty. definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

grub wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:Tell us more about Motor Burger. Do they brew their own beer?
yup! i haven't been there since they started brewing, and there's scant reviews of their house nano brews online, but the food is awesome and their lineup was always fairly crafty. definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.
Interestingly enough, I'm actually in the process of adding their beers to BeerAdvocate to get the ball rolling! Every time I go, I order a flight of 6 different house beers and I'm never disappointed. I haven't yet had an opportunity to try their more adventurous brews - including a jalapeno beer, and another brewed with lavender and blueberries - but I'm hoping to do that the first opportunity I get. Before they had as many beers, I was a fan of their Rider Cream Ale. Last visit, my favourite was their IPA. I must admit, though, I'm a bit biased when it comes to their beers, and that's only because the co-owners, Gino and Jay, are both awesome guys who take turns working the floor, and who will take the time to talk to you about beer, or food, or whatever, if you show some interest.

Restaurant website: http://motorburger.ca/

Nanobrewery website: http://www.motorcraftales.com/

Oh, and I second grub's statement - the food is most definitely awesome. According to Reader's Digest, they're home to one of the best burgers in Canada!

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Since you Toronto-area folk are asking about the brewing scene in Windsor, I suppose now is a fitting time to say that I am extremely envious of what's going on in your neck of the woods - particularly the brewing of sours and other funky styles at Bellwoods Brewery! From what I've read, they're doing a pretty good job of it, too.

If anyone from GTA is ever coming down this way, or if anyone from Windsor/Essex is ever going up that way, I would be very interested in getting my hands on some Bellwoods brew.

Anyone here have any experience with Bellwoods? And is anyone else interested in seeing to it that this beer somehow makes its way down here?

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

For anyone who's interested in enjoying some delicious Michigan brews this weekend, check out this event taking place on Saturday, Sept. 21 on Belle Isle, located right between Windsor and Detroit on the Detroit River - The Tashmoo Biergarten @ Belle Isle Conservancy!

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Thought I'd re-post this here, so that there's a better chance Windsor-Essex County residents will see it:

Keep6 imports in Toronto is ordering in the beer described below. As a sour beer enthusiast, this one certainly appeals to me. In case I didn't copy and paste the information properly, you can find the original thread at http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=9296 (Private Ordering > Le Trou Du Diable barVolo 25th Anniversary Sour Blend).

This beer needs to be privately ordered by the case (12x750 mL bottles). If anyone in Windsor/Essex County is interested in splitting a case, and could get it here from Toronto, I'd be in for at least 3 bottles.

Lemme know!

Keep6 Imports wrote:Image

Hi Everyone,

I have a few case of this available for pre-order if interested. Please send orders and questions to tomas@keep6imports.com

Le Trou Du Diable barVolo 25th Anniversary (Special Sour Blend)
The 25th Anniversary Volo was created by the Trou du Diable to honor this family of ambassadors and to thank them for their major contributions to the beer world. Alla salute! It is a skillful blend, 40% of which is brewed in Buteuse Brassin Special, Dulcis Succubus and Bretteuse barrels, 40% is from sour rye aged in Banyuls barrels and 20% of which is from young Saison beer. The nose is evocative of a Flanders red, with slightly acidic notes of cherry. The palate is sharp, dry and slightly oxidized, leaving a sweet, fruity taste on the tongue which is immediately followed by a vinous finish reminiscent of great classical beers.

Format 12 x 750mL

Alc/Vol 7.5%

Shelf Life 2 Years

Availability One time only (will not be brewed again)

Cases Only 20 left

Price Approx. $200.00*

* Estimate price. May change slightly depending on freight rate.
* Minimum order is one case
* Pick up at our office in downtown Toronto
* Will be available in approx 2-3 weeks. Order deadline is Monday November 4th, 2013